Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Traffic data from DSLStats?  (Read 1562 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Traffic data from DSLStats?
« on: January 10, 2017, 10:13:47 AM »

Plusnets' usage data facility is kaput. Is it possible to calculate how much data I've down/uploaded from the telnet data in DSLStats in GB?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Traffic data from DSLStats?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 10:50:09 AM »

If you've had traffic monitoring enabled and properly configured in DSLstats for some time, then that information is readily available from the Traffic graphs. But you can't get the information just by looking at the current telnet data (unless your usage is very low or you've very recently restarted the modem). The reason is that the total upstream and downstream traffic figures from the modem (shown in the Telnet Data --> Traffic page of DSLstats) are held in variables which wrap round to zero when they reach their maximum possible values (like an old fashioned car odometer).
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 06:30:23 PM »

Thanks for that; I should have thought of the graphs! Subject to the warning you gave, do the lines: total cells and data cells up/down have any connection at all with what DSLStats records?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 06:44:32 PM »

DSLstats only considers the Rx and Tx values from the selected interface. The other lines you mention are also subject to the wraparound situation which I mentioned.
  Eric

anything