Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: weird BTW PT and TAP 3 behaviour  (Read 2556 times)

tommy45

• Reg Member
weird BTW PT and TAP 3 behaviour
« on: January 09, 2017, 11:01:26 PM »

Tonight i was seeing congestion yet again  at peak time,(i wish BTW would start monitoring their network better, or stop running it to the wire )

Anyhow i ran the BTW PTester and got a poor result, & offered the TAP3 test, so i changed the username and set the DNS to auto in my router , and reconnected the PPPOE session to BTW, But it would not load the tap3 page and run it, the page timed out, then i remembered that i had added a dns server ip to my PC's lan connection when i was demonstrating the issue with Zens's LNS and 50% throughput ,
So i removed this and tried again  still using the BTW speedtest username  the page then poped up an error saying to go back to the main page, i did it then ran the normal test tap1 and then the tap3 but gave an error, So i changed the username back to my normal one, and ran the BWT PT again the dumb assed tester only runs the TAP3 and of course it fails because i ain't connected to BTW PPPOE you couldn't make something more broken!!!!! wasted 45mins on that and still do not have a TAP3 test and of course throughput levels are returning to normal again

tommy45

• Reg Member
Re: weird BTW PT and TAP 3 behaviour
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:05:00 PM »

Well 66 views and nada great stuff,
just to clarify the issue that i am seeing

1, run the BT PT 1st normal speed test, gives the impacted result (under 40mbps) and offers further testing i enter my number and run the test, then i get the IP profile page and as my result is underperforming it gives the option of another test (TAP3) So. i follow the instructions inputting the PPPOE username and change my DNS servers to auto get DNS, and save in my router, and disconnect the PPPOE session to my ISP , and then reconnect to the BTW radius server or whatever it is called, IP & DNS changes upon reconnection , i then run the TAP3 test, it looks to be working as intended then throws an ERROR message saying "the browser session has timed out, Please refresh the main performance tester page"
I sceptically followed this just for laughs, yes it surprisingly attempted tried to run the normal speed test and gave a result of 0, lol and the tep3 still failed

But the reason i'm posting this on here is because after such a failure further tests whilst connected to your ISP will do the following run a speed test normally but after you select for further testing,instead of it showing your IP profile page and giving the option of further testing (tap3) it like the dumb unfit for purpose test that it really is, just runs then runs a TAP3 test instead and of course fails with the exact same error message how long befor this POS resets it's self so we can try again for crying out aloud!

And yes i am aware of the 10min rule between tests, but the test failed so should not be counted  morons who ever designed this tester, they should of also include a single threaded test, but perhaps they didn't want too many complaints about their lack of throughput due to congested Svlans at peak times

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:16:52 PM by tommy45 »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 04:38:20 PM »

Did you close your web browser after changing the PPPoE password to run the TAP3 test?

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 01:25:33 PM »

No, never done that no need to.and it probably cause it to fail, i did try different browsers too but got the same error, so why it times out i don't know, maybe the time it took to change the PPPOE session login? surely it can't be set to time out in less than 1 min?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:34:36 PM by tommy45 »