Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The old Nigerian scam is alive and well  (Read 3935 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
The old Nigerian scam is alive and well
« on: January 04, 2017, 07:51:38 AM »

This turned up this morning. I had to share it with you because the wording is so hilarious. It was sent from a Russian email address. Phone numbers hidden in case anybody should be foolishly tempted.

Dr.Sambo Dasuki, 
National Security Adviser to the President  Federal Republic of Nigeria 
Tel:+234-**************       

Attn:   

I am Dr. Sambo Dasuki,National Security Adviser to the President Muhammadu Buhari The new president Federal Republic of Nigeria. I decided to contact you because of the Prevailing security report reaching my office and the intense nature of polity in Nigeria. This is to inform you about our plan to send your fund to you via cash delivery. This system will be easier for you and for us. We are going to send your contract/ part payment of $20Million USD to you via courier service.   

Note: The money is. Coming on 2 security proof boxes. The boxes are sealed with Synthetic nylon seal and padded with machine. This fund was brought to us from United State of America;     it was meant for our Local AFEM market. But since the money was not used, I will use my position as the National Security Adviser to the President to send this fund to you. Please you don't have to worry for any thing I will finance the transaction. The boxes are coming with a Diplomatic agent who will accompany the boxes to your     House address. All you need to do now is to send to me your full name,house address and your identity such as, international passport or driver’s license if you have including your contact phone numbers, The Diplomatic attached will travel with it. He will call you immediately he arrives in your country's airport.

I hope you understand me. Please know that the only money you are going to spend is for the dispatch and registration of your consignment key and the original documentary. I will let you know when the special Grace of God will airlift the boxes. Note: The diplomatic does not know the original contents of the boxes. What l     Declared to them as the contents is Sensitive Photographic Film Material? I did not declare money to them please. If they call you and ask you the contents     Please tell them the same thing Ok. Call me on my phone +234-*************** once you get this mail. i will let You know how far I have gone with the arrangement. I will secure the Diplomatic     Immunity clearance certificate that will be tagged on the boxes to make it stand As a diplomatic consignment. This clearance will make it pass every custom checkpoint all over the world without hitch.

Confirm the receipt of this message and send the requirements to Me immediately you receive this message.        Please I need urgent reply because the boxes are schedule to be as soon as we Hear from you. Call me immediately you receive this message. 

Best Regards,         
Dr.Sambo Dasuki, 
National Security Adviser to the President  Federal Republic of Nigeria 
Tel:+234-**************
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: The old Nigerian scam is alive and well
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 08:34:58 AM »

I received a similar email a couple of days ago but was not Nigerian but South American. Didn't bother to investigate as it was in my spam folder but these things are so obvious I seriously cannot believe anyone gets taken in, there has been so much publicity.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 04:28:59 PM »

Years (decades) ago I listened with interest as the presenter of a local radio station consumer show called the number given, to confront the scammer and see what would happen.

The phone was answered quickly by a guy who insisted, in reasonably coherent English, that it was all genuine and not a scam.  Even when the presenter identified himself as a BBC consumer reporter, the scammer stood his ground, unblinkingly inisting it was all as stated. :D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 06:01:38 PM »

What an absolutely hilarious stream of hog-wash!  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 07:38:39 PM »

Here's a screenshot of an email I received today, looks quite genuine (there are some grammatical errors) except there's no vehicle registration, these are also sent by snail mail, oh and the email from address and link for the photo looked rather suspect. Apart from the fact I was at work in Kent at the alleged time!

And a Google search turned this up

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/police-issue-warning-over-new-12283129
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 08:27:47 AM »

The 'NIP' has several flaws, such as that they'd not by email, being outside the 14 day time limit, and the fact I've never heard of a 35mph speed limit.  :-\

But I'll bet a significant number of recipients will be fooled by it.  It only takes a tiny percentage to make a scam pay off. It would be interesting to know how many still fall for the Nigerian scam too, I bet there's always a few.    :(

matt9

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 10:18:13 AM »

I always seem to get the one from a lawyer saying that a distant family member has passed away and that they have bequethed a large some of money to me.
But this, this is really another level!  ;D