Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Huawei 128 Extension?  (Read 4944 times)

Quonith

• Just arrived
Huawei 128 Extension?
« on: January 03, 2017, 10:19:38 PM »

I was passing my FTTC cab last night (one of the smaller huawei ones) and noticed it looked a bit different, I was driving past so didn't get a good look or a photo, but it has definitely grown and seems to have some kind of extention/pod attached to the right hand side that I've never seen before. The extension makes the whole cabinet about the same width as one of the larger huawei cabs and didn't look like it touched the ground. Anyone know anything about it? I assume it's to increase capacity as that cab has been full for a while. I'll see if I can get a picture when I next walk down the shop.

Edit: Correct spelling in title
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:33:48 PM by Quonith »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Huawei 128 Extention?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:55:35 PM »

The "small" Huawei equipped cabinets contain a SmartAX MA5616 MSAN (configured as a DSLAM) and can take a maximum of four line cards. It is highly likely that Huawei have now released an updated line card for the MA5616 -- one with a higher port density per card; hence the need for more space to make the physical connections.

From your description, it reads as if the cabinet side-extension is similar to that observed on the "big" Huawei equipped cabinets and is to allow expansion space for the extra set of low-pass filters & tie-cable terminations.

Attached below is an image of an expanded "big" Huawei equipped cabinet. A clear image of your expanded "small" cabinet would certainly be appreciated, please.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Quonith

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 02:15:02 PM »

Just been past again and there were a couple of contractors working in the cab and PCP. They didn't speak much English so I couldn't get much information but they were installing tie cables between the two. The extension had a load of termination blocks inside. I'm not sure what a the inside of a small Huawei cab normally looks like but I could see in this cab that there were the 4 line cards and it looked like there was space in the rack mount for another two is it normal for there to be space to the right of the line cards in one of these cabs?

I've got to go past again in a bit so I'll make sure I take my phone and get some photos.

Edit: Correct spelling mistake
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:34:04 PM by Quonith »

Quonith

• Just arrived
Re: Huawei 128 Extension?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 03:42:12 PM »

Unfortunately the contractors had gone when I got back there with my phone so no photos of the inside. But I got a photos of the outside. I apologize for the poor quality, damaged the camera lens on my phone a few weeks ago.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »

The extension had a load of termination blocks inside.

Yes, that is what I would expect.

I'm not sure what a the inside of a small Huawei cab normally looks like but I could see in this cab that there were the 4 line cards and it looked like there was space in the rack mount for another two is it normal for there to be space to the right of the line cards in one of these cabs?

From your description, it reads as if an expansion card-cage has been fitted as an enhancement of the basic MA5616 chassis.  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 05:57:30 PM »

. . . I got a photos of the outside.

It's certainly bigger than the extension on the "large", MA5603T equipped, cabinet.

I apologize for the poor quality, damaged the camera lens on my phone a few weeks ago.

Not to worry, it has given me a "good feeling" for the size of the extension. Thank you for that picture.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 03:10:33 PM »

The "small" Huawei equipped cabinets contain a SmartAX MA5616 MSAN (configured as a DSLAM) and can take a maximum of four line cards. It is highly likely that Huawei have now released an updated line card for the MA5616 -- one with a higher port density per card; hence the need for more space to make the physical connections.

Yes indeed! Thanks to various improvements, presumably the same ones that allowed the move from 48 to 64 ports per service board on the MA5603, they have managed to cram 48 ports on the half-height MS5616 service boards.

stinga

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 06:33:24 PM »

Hi

Conveniently came across this thread when googling about 128 cabinet line cards.

The 128 cabinet in my village is full. I emailed BBfNorfolk about it and they confirmed that updated line cards now exist for the cab. So seems to tie in with the pic above.

Quonith

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 03:53:04 PM »

That cab had been showing as full since September but is now showing as available (and has been for a couple of weeks). So definitely added capacity.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 11:54:01 AM »

Yes, that is what I would expect.

From your description, it reads as if an expansion card-cage has been fitted as an enhancement of the basic MA5616 chassis.  ;)

The extension isn't for the MA5616, it's holding blocks for extra tie pairs. Only changes to the MA5616 are software to add support for 48 port line cards and the cards and connectors themselves :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 03:20:30 PM »

The extension isn't for the MA5616, it's holding blocks for extra tie pairs. Only changes to the MA5616 are software to add support for 48 port line cards and the cards and connectors themselves :)

If you would care to read what I typed, in context with the other material that was then currently available, you will see I did not express what you are now implying in your latest posting. Your first sentence, above, is -- er -- mischievous.

You should also be aware that there is space in the cabinet "holding frame", available for the insertion of an expansion card-cage, for if/when a vectoring engine is installed.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 07:14:26 PM »

Ah my bad. Shouldn't read in such haste. My apologies.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 08:07:17 PM »

Ah my bad. Shouldn't read in such haste. My apologies.

Received and appreciated. Thank you.  :)

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 04:20:07 PM »

Not that any more confirmation is needed that they exist, but came across these, which I guess is what they'll be now using?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/HUAWEI-MA5616-H836CCME-48-port-VDSL2_60328737095.html

Another link here shows it supports a maximum of 192 VDSL subscribers - http://www.thunder-link.com/HUAWEI-MA5616_p596.html

anything