Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Modem/Router Required. Possibly a TP-Link Archer VR2600?  (Read 2067 times)

dodgydrains

New Modem/Router Required. Possibly a TP-Link Archer VR2600?
« on: December 29, 2016, 07:35:20 PM »

Hi,

New to the forum.  I am looking to buy a modem/router similar to my current DSL-AC68U.  The problem with DSL-AC68U is that the modem (MEDIATeK I am told) does not play nice with the talktalk DSLAM ECI (Lantiq).

Does the VR2600 have the SNR tweak capability?  If not can someone suggest a latest modem/router alternative that does have this functionality.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: New Modem/Router Required. Possibly a TP-Link Archer VR2600?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 09:53:46 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

From your query with regards to SNRM tweaking I am assuming you that have a G.992.{1|3|5} based Internet service. For an all-in-one solution, I will suggest that you consider those modem/routers with a Broadcom chipset.

Unfortunately the TP-Link devices, although Broadcom based, have been restricted in terms of what can be achieved from the command line. So the VR2600 will not suit your requirements.

Please take a look at the very first post of this thread. (Ignore the title of the thread, all of those G.993.2 devices will be backwards compatible with a G.992.{1|3|5) service.) Of the devices listed, I will recommend that you research the ZyXEL VMGxxxx devices.

My current device of choice is a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D, which works well on my G.992.3 service.

Finally, I've split your post off from the original thread and have used it to create a new thread.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

dodgydrains

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 11:20:11 PM »

Hi,

I have a G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS) Internet service (TalkTalk)

The link you sent takes me to the Forum Index page.

I was looking for a AC modem/router.  Would the VMG8924 be any good with SNR tweak?

Thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 12:05:03 AM »

The link you sent takes me to the Forum Index page.

I've just re-checked it and can find nothing wrong. See the example screen-scrape, attached below.

I was looking for a AC modem/router.  Would the VMG8924 be any good with SNR tweak?

I will have to leave that query for other members to answer, as I have no experience of the ZyXEL VMG8924 device.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 06:58:48 PM »

OP, yes the TP Link VR2600 is an excellent 4x4 stream Mu-Mimo router, however as others have said its firmware is rather limited.

Billion BiPAC 8900AX-2400 is the one to go for, its exactly the same as the VR2600 except that you can alter the SNR on ADSL2+lines. It ain't cheap though, £250!!

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/25004-billion-bipac-8900ax-2400/

Forget about Zyxel modem/routers if you're after an all-in-one router, whilst they use Broadcom chipset for the modem part, the wifi radios on them are nothing special. IMHO they're only good for using in bridge mode, such as to replace your Openreach HG612 or ECI vdsl2 modem.