Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Massive Drop in Sync Speed, so frustrated  (Read 7880 times)

elliottchandler

Re: Massive Drop in Sync Speed, so frustrated
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 08:25:14 AM »

I have checked the MyDslWebStats Tab and all options are ticked. Please see the screenshot. Is there something missing?

I am trying to find out why the download and upload has dropped since switching providers.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:27:29 AM by elliottchandler »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 09:12:30 AM »

There is no sign of the HLog and QLN data files arriving at the server for some reason nor any errors processing them if they were being uploaded. Can you check the Event Log tab and see if there are any errors reported locally that might be relevant please?

If not, Roseway might be able to help as DSLStats is his baby. There are later versions available than the 5.8 you are using that might be worth a try if nothing else is obvious but don't recollect any fixes for a problem like this. Again, Roseway may comment.

You could also look in the DSLStats data directory and see if the required files are there. They are in (unless you've moved them via config):
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\dslstats\mydslwebstats and there should be four zip files in all along with others.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 10:35:50 AM »

It would be worth upgrading DSLstats to v5.8.6 for other reasons, but I don't think that will affect this particular issue. As Tony says, you can check in the directory mentioned, to see if the HLog and QLN zip files are there. Also, make sure that HLog and QLN are ticked in Configuration --> Items to Monitor (they should be automatically ticked when these items are enabled in the MDWS setup, but it's worth checking to make sure).
  Eric

elliottchandler

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 01:10:39 PM »

I have unchecked the option to upload, stopped monitoring, started monitoring and ticked to upload to MyDslWeb and this now appears to be loading the data. Please can you now see the data?

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 02:20:59 PM »

Well done you are now uploading everything okay  :)
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 02:38:39 PM »

I'll check this out, but I have an idea how this may have happened. If I'm right I'll fix it.
  Eric

elliottchandler

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »

Ok so now that I am uploading data, why is my connection not running at 21Mbps downstream and 4Mbps upstream?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 02:51:36 PM »

Your connection looks very noisy.
Are you connected to the master socket or an extension socket?
Was this a self-install or engineer-install?

elliottchandler

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 09:23:01 AM »

It was not in the master socket so put it in last night and the sync speed dropped again another 2Mbps. I have put the socket back together just now to see what change it makes. There have been nine BT Openreach visits with the last one saying the line tests fine but clearly there is a problem. I need some information to get them to do something.

Sheepie

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 09:43:35 AM »

Your DS noise margin looks a lot like mine did when I was using Zyxel VMG1312, very "peaky". As soon as I ditched that modem and used Openreach ECI my sync improved back to almost where it was before trouble started. I then used unlocked HG612 so I can monitor stats and get G-INP back enabled - stats then showed flat DS margin (no peaks at all), so it was 100% the zyxel causing that.

My trouble started with a brand new Zyxel VMG1312..... I think it was faulty, maybe they made a faulty batch? I tried various firmware, all with same DS noise peaks.

I suggest you get a HG612 and unlock it - do not pay more than £20 for one off ebay, and then continue to use your zyxel for the ppp (leaving HG612 in bridge mode).

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 11:15:12 AM »

It was not in the master socket so put it in last night and the sync speed dropped again another 2Mbps. I have put the socket back together just now to see what change it makes.
So which socket was it in?
What do you mean by saying you've put the socket back together?

There have been nine BT Openreach visits with the last one saying the line tests fine but clearly there is a problem. I need some information to get them to do something.
There's clearly something wrong but in order to get information you're going to have to give a lot more detail about your setup, because I'm finding it really confusing at the moment.

elliottchandler

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2017, 06:33:18 PM »

It is a standard BT socket with two ports, one for phone and one for modem. I took this front faceplate off, plugged in a filter to the master socket. The speed dipped so I put the faceplate back on. The speed went up.

What do you need to know?

elliottchandler

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »

Is there anything else that can be done to identify why the speed has dropped?

Sheepie

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 12:36:37 PM »

Are you still using the same Zyxel modem?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 01:00:05 PM »

Do you have any other phone sockets or just the one at the master?
I can't see any stats for your cwave connection on Mydslwebstats.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything