Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zyxel VMG8924 as router only?  (Read 2229 times)

Sunzz

Zyxel VMG8924 as router only?
« on: December 28, 2016, 04:21:37 AM »

ok so long story short, iv been using my zyxel vmg8924 as an all in one for a little while, and randomly decided to try the hg612 again with my bt home hub and iv gained a nice little bit of speed. I'd like to keep using the hg612 modem for now just to see how it goes, but the bt home hub's wireless is so bad and the family are moaning!

Can i use the zyxel as just a router? everything iv searched up seems to explain how to use it as a modem, bridged, but not as the router. so it would be

Master socket > dsl line > hg612 > zyxel vmg8924 > computer

Is this possible with this router and if so, how? as i cant figure it out for the life of me lmao :P

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Zyxel VMG8924 as router only?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 06:05:21 PM »

There is no guarantee that anything I type will be either useful or correct . . .

First of all, I will suggest that you physically check the VMG8924 to see if it has a EWAN port.

If yes, then it is to that port you should connect the patch lead (from the HG612's LAN1 port). The device will then need to be configured via its GUI.

If no, then take a look at the GUI configuration screens of the VMG8924 to see if it has the option of configuring one of the normal LAN ports to act as an EWAN port. I have such an option with my VMG1312-B10D; after entering the GUI, I need to go to the Broadband ---> Ethernet WAN sub-page. See the example, attached below --
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

aam

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 06:13:56 PM »

As the VMG8924 has an Ethernet WAN port, just set it up as you would if using it directly with the DSL port but use the WAN (blue) port to connect it to the HG612 with an Ethernet cable instead. Then in the VMG8924, under Network Setting > Broadband, setup or edit ETHWAN to PPPoE and fill in the rest of the username and password etc.

As there's mention of a BT Home Hub, if it's being used with BT, the username can be set to bthomehub@btbroadband.com with anything as the password. These settings would be the same username and password as used for the PPPoE settings for connecting the VMG8924 via the DSL port.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 06:25:11 PM by aam »

Sunzz

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 03:37:37 PM »

Thanks guys! ty aam, followed ur steps and its working! i swear i did that before and it didnt work though lol

anything