Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Will this stop me being moaned at ?  (Read 3379 times)

martynhsmith

• Just arrived
Will this stop me being moaned at ?
« on: December 26, 2016, 08:33:47 PM »

I've got a kind of complicated setup and I have 2 step daughters and a partner who like moaning about internet access.

I have plusnet fibre 

I did have Billion BiPAC 7800N - connected to my plusnet/BT fibre router in my front bay window (next to the master socket).
But the signal upstairs wasn't very good and bits of the kitchen at the back of the house was very bad.
Then my helpful dogs decided that they didn't like the aerials any chewed all 3 of them off one day 
2 connections are f*** and one still works
So I bought one of these off eBay -Vigor2830n and asked plusnet for a hub one
Vigor2830n- never seen anything so complicated in my life. It also is dreadful - I'm connecting through an Ethernet link that drops every hour or so (I want to use the 10.0.0.0 range everything I have is setup for it and the Hub one only supports 192.x.x.x)
It also decides to drop wifi at times as well.(the only way I have found to get round it is have 2 SSID. It's only redeeming feature - it restarts quickly.
I setup the Billion BiPAC 7800N in the bedroom upstairs as just a wireless access point which is OK in it's damaged state.

So now I have wireless downstairs that I get moaned at all the time about. (plus to make it worst I have a Logitech harmony home hub remote that if you have try to access it from a different SSID to the one it's using it will on occasion decide not to work)

I have 5 PC's all wired, 6ish phones, a couple of NAS boxes, a wired network printer and a home automation box.

and I've been moaned at constantly since the week before Christmas (When they were all off and I was still at work).

So will this week - I need to fix things - Is this a good idea ?

a) Put the Billion BiPAC 7800N back in the front room - remove all the plusnet modems and switch off the wireless on it. So it's just DHCP and VDSL ?

b) Buy something like this - https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/ run a bit of cat 5e to the middle of the house and put the AP on the ceiling

Should I be looking at VDSL modem/router or will the 7800N be enough ?

Any thoughts/advise much appreciated

Thanks
Martyn

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Will this stop me being moaned at ?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 09:01:47 PM »

Hi

The Draytek 2830n is a lovely router. I would make sure it's firmware is the latest version and it is a VDSL modem, if you choose to use it

The wifi drops I do not think would be due to the Draytek, rather I think low power turnoff on mobiles and same for pc.

Many thanks

John

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 08:47:01 AM »

Putting an access point on the ceiling would be a good idea as the dogs won't be able to reach it, it will probably give a bether signal as well.  We have a large L shaped house,  and I installed an AP centrally  in the loft,  this covers the original house very well,  but the extension which is the bottom of the L still had poor reception, and I've recently solved that by putting an access point in downstairs there and  I've done away with wireless on  my router/modem as it just wasn't in the right place for a good signal.

I would also have the odd mobile phone which had problems with reception, Changing the lease time to 24hr in the wireless AP seemed to cure this IIRC.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

martynhsmith

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 03:01:38 PM »

The Draytek 2830n is a lovely router. I would make sure it's firmware is the latest version and it is a VDSL modem, if you choose to use it

Ok, I've upgraded the firmware to the Dec 2016 version.

I'm very confused about using it as a VDSL device.
Do I
A) Use the ADSL connector and plug it direct into the master socket
Or
B) Use the Wan port and plug it into the original by openreach box

Thanks

Martyn

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 03:14:14 PM »

As far as I'm aware, the 2830n is only an ADSL modem/router not a VDSL modem/router. You would therefore need to connect its WAN port to an Openreach modem.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 03:31:34 PM »

Hi

Apologies liquorice is correct

The vdsl is 2860

The 2830 is still a lovely router, but for vdsl, you will need a a hg612 or similar vci modem, and it use wan port

Many thanks

John

martynhsmith

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 03:58:10 PM »

I have a 'eci telecom 061513' would a hg6112 be a better option?

Am I going to be able to configure it ?

Martyn

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-AL10 using Tapatalk

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 04:02:59 PM »

There is nothing to configure on the modem, the login details etc will be on the router.

martynhsmith

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 11:21:28 PM »

Getting Close now.

I put this in yesterday  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-867Mbit-passive-UAP-AC-LR/dp/B016K5A06C
Worked brilliantly with one exception - but I have switched wifi off on everything else
(The one exception is a new chromecast, the wifi has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz that the chromecast thinks are on different SSID's so my phone can't find it, if it's on the other one! )

I've also bought and installed a hg6112 - The post on installing the new firmware is great (http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612hacking.htm)

I also ordered and now fitted one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2M-CAT6-DSL-LEAD-CABLE-for-FIBRE-TELEPHONE-LINES-like-BT-INFINITY-FTTC-VDSL-/261668855936
Not sure it will make a difference but having a proper cable can't do any harm ?

I've configured my Draytech 2830 to talk direct to the hg6112 and removed the plusnet router

I have two more things to do
a) I've plugged in port 2 on the hg6112 - I can get to it if I change my IP address 10.x.x.x to 192.168.x.x but I think I must be able to run 2 IP ranges or static route to it. (My brain has had enough for today!)

b) Leave things to settle - I've tested as I changed things from a PC running speed test (Download has gone up a bit 3 Mbps, 48Mbps to 52Mbps, upload is now steady at 17Mbps with bursts up to 21Mbps instead of anywhere from 5 to 20.
I have also been told Facebook has been upgraded because it's working all the time now! 

Martyn

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 09:15:42 AM »

You can change the IP address of the HG612, it just takes a bit of hunting to find the option. I've changed mine at home and work but always struggle to find the correct page.

Sounds like your having good results.

PS. I've currently stopped using 5ghz, none of our mobile devices benefited from the extra speed and all PCs are hard wired.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:19:28 AM by Ronski »

martynhsmith

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »

So If I change the IP address on the attached image to the 10.x.x.x range that I use at home, I shouldn't have any problems ?

Martyn

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 12:24:15 PM »

Should be fine, it is just another device on your LAN, the address is just to access the management page of the modem.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 12:24:50 PM »

Yes that's the one, just change it to suit your IP range used.