Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: BT DSL tester shows no errors, huge error rates from my router  (Read 13007 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: BT DSL tester shows no errors, huge error rates from my router
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 09:53:27 PM »

I think I need more faith in A&A,  five minutes after I pointed this out to them this morning they've reset things including the IP profile ..

:thumbs:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 01:49:55 PM »

Openreach REIN guy turned up today.  He had a nifty little hand held tester that made all sorts of noises when he checked around, but what he focussed in on was a click at intervals of round about one second.  That noise, and the CRC errors continued with whole house switched off.  He headed off to look for electric fences, and at the second attempt found one that when switched off removed the noise and the errors.   No CRCs at all shown on my router since the line came up nearly 3 hours ago.   So that's a result.   The only concern is that he's not allowed to tell me the property where the fence was, so I can't check myself if the problem comes back.  Shame because I know my way round an electric fence and I'd be quite happy checking it for the farmer, fixing the earth or insulators etc.

Still, looking good so far.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 03:30:08 PM »

Openreach REIN guy turned up today.  He had a nifty little hand held tester . . .

Was that an RF Tester 444B, by any chance?

He headed off to look for electric fences, and at the second attempt found one that when switched off removed the noise and the errors.   No CRCs at all shown on my router since the line came up nearly 3 hours ago.   So that's a result.

Yes, a very good result.

The only concern is that he's not allowed to tell me the property where the fence was, so I can't check myself if the problem comes back.

If the problem should return, at least you will know for what to go and seek out.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 04:47:03 PM »

That's the tester.   Errors are back though ...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 05:02:28 PM »

Errors are back though ...

:(  <cat_curses>

Time to formulate a plan which involves all electric fences in the vicinity of your circuit . . .  :-X

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 06:02:58 PM »

I'll see what A&A say, if OR feel they've completed their remit then surely they should be telling me of A&A where they found the issue.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2017, 09:14:06 AM »

Still waiting for OR's report.  However I had a quick look around, and there's one fence about a mile from us towards the exchange which runs for several hundred yards alongside the road and therefore right over the 50 pair cable to our pole.   However the fence looks really clean, only one conductor on insulators that all look OK, and I got almost a full reading on the fence tester.  If that fence was shorting I'd expect a low reading, same if the energiser had a poor earth.   The other thing is that this is a mile from our house, and on the main 50 pair.  If that was causing the problem then surely everyone on that cable would be affected.  Our next door neighbour was showing basically no errors at all, although OR said that his circuit was showing a high noise margin target.   I guess I'm finding it hard to believe that there's not something on our line making it vulnerable to interference, after all our error rate was completely unchanged going from 6dB to 12dB, I find it hard to believe the errors would disappear altogether at 15dB.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2017, 06:13:04 PM »

I must admit that all the evidence you have discovered does not fit into a "nice" electric-fence pigeon-hole and your comment with respect to other users circuits in the 50 pair cable adds to the mystery.  :-\

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2017, 05:57:14 PM »

I've just about persuaded myself that the errors clean up or at least reduce in wet weather.  For example went to zero in an instant around 0400 this morning when it's unlikely that an electric fence would be suddenly switched off.  If this is the case, then assuming I find the offending fence then I guess it's going to be either a poor earth rod (better when it's wet), or possibly a short that gets much worse when wet to the extent it saps all the power to earth somewhere away from the phone line.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2017, 06:22:58 PM »

The mystery continues.  :(

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »

My (then) ADSL line suffered in the same way as your's for many years, with DLM taking corrective action and increasing default SNRM etc. Eventually, purely by chance, I found that a very long electric fence 800m (and in the opposite direction to the exchange and cabinet) was the culprit. The large CRC errors didn't have any noticeable impact on response or throughput, but the DLM actions very much did so!
I did not know the fence owner, and did not feel happy about approaching him about the matter.
In due course, a Plusnet support chap helped enormously, and after several tries of different actions decided to have DLM turned off on my line; that proved very successful, and my line was then able to operate happily for 18 months, even with the CRCs present, until fibre arrived in the village.
The CRC errors were also initially seen on FTTC too, but within 48 hours were neutralised by interleaving and INP, and the problem and symptoms then totally vanished.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2017, 04:15:28 PM »

Luckily my router can over-ride the target noise margin, so I'm connecting at the normal speed (a bit over 4meg) even though DLM has done it's worst.  It's a bodge because with this interference I'm sure it's making SNR more variable than it should be.  Also if I have an unrelated fault BT tester is going to be connecting at 15dB target so around 1/2 my speed which may cause some misunderstanding.  I suppose in that case I could do an SNR reset prior to their visit.   The other thing that bugs me is that BT have changed my MSR/FTR from the previous 4000/3200 down to 2848/2278, I assume that's their way of saying the degradation is now official and permanent.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything