Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flaming HMRC and their new identity checks  (Read 16595 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Flaming HMRC and their new identity checks
« on: December 23, 2016, 10:32:54 AM »

Has anyone else here had problems with the new security features on the HMRC website to validate their identity? I've tried twice now and failed both times  :o

The new system attempts to ask questions about your credit reference history although they don't tell you which agency they are using. They ask questions about when you took out things like mail order accounts with a credit facility, when you took out a mobile phone contract or opened a current bank account, basically anything which has happened over the past 5-6 years or more, to be honest some of their questions do seem to have more than one interpretation. For example a mail order account - is that a shopping account or perhaps insurance paid monthly and done online? Do they consider renewing an existing mobile phone contract the same as taking out one?

Having been through this twice (and you have to wait seven days after the first failure try try again) I gave up and called them to obtain my refund.

From the reaction of the person on their help desk it would seem that this is a common occurrence  :o I'm assuming you only need to do this once as I do not (yet) have an online Personal Tax Account, as my tax affairs over these years since retirement have been simply I've not needed one.

Anyway I have contacted their website help desk and hope to hear after Christmas how to proceed.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

c6em

• Reg Member
Re: Flaming HMRC and their new identity checks
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 11:13:36 AM »

I have not - but that is presumably because I've always had an online tax account doing Annual Self Assessment tax online for a decade or so hence I'm already "approved".

I log to the HMRC site in my username and my password and then additionally every time they send a code number to my mobile as the 2nd factor and that's it.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 11:34:47 AM »

I have not - but that is presumably because I've always had an online tax account doing Annual Self Assessment tax online for a decade or so hence I'm already "approved".

I log to the HMRC site in my username and my password and then additionally every time they send a code number to my mobile as the 2nd factor and that's it.

Yes that's the gateway part which I get as well and I've had one of those accounts for years but it then goes on to the stuff which say Beta at the top and its that part which is failing. I used to have to do self assessment each year up until the year after I retired (2002) but since then it has been plain sailing until I wanted to go and claim a refund they notified me of and said I cold wait 45+ days or claim online, so ofcourse I went online (or tried to)  ;)

Stuart

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 12:34:43 PM »

Ah,

I wonder if as a recent/new/whatever user you are getting directed to enrole in the "Gov Verify" scheme which is meant to be the new way of verifying your ID.
It seems that the ID is verified by some outside agents (like Experian, The Post Office etc) and they verify your ID which is then linked the service you are wanting to use - not sure of the details personally and how it works once you are verified.
I recall that all the HMG gateways were eventually going to be closed down and Gov-Verify was going to be the only way of logging into to HMG service website.
Sorry - don't know anymore......

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 02:37:16 PM »

Well the letter (and yes it was a valid snail mail letter) I received directed me to a web page which then took me to the Gateway sign in (including the code texted to me) which went through fine but then immediately directed me to this new verify process. Now if they expect you to sign in each time using this verify process it will be a nightmare as there are about 5 pages of stuff they ask, which is stupid for a login. Once verified it should then just use the gateway perhaps with one additional question, but 5 no way....

Stuart