Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Advice on moving router  (Read 2398 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Advice on moving router
« on: December 19, 2016, 11:14:42 PM »

Hi all,

It's been a while, hope everyone is well.

We've got the master socket by the front door and I want to move the modem/router to a slightly different location. Running the cable (Cat 5e or CW1308, I haven't decided yet) is no problem but in regards to adding a socket for the modem to connect to, what is the best way to do it?

I can run an extension that is data only, using the IDC connections on the VDSL MK3 faceplate and then add a DSL faceplate to the wall where the modem is, or I could run an extension from the master socket and essentially make a new filtered master socket.

Would either result in better performance?

Thanks.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Advice on moving router
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 11:28:08 PM »

I would recommend that you take the former route -- running a data extension from the IDCs on the SSFP.

At the new location for the modem/router, install a 6P6C socket (i.e. "RJ11") and then use the shortest available patch cable from that socket to the CPE.

Example modular 6P6C socket.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 11:35:26 PM »

Thanks burakkucat :)

Just out of interest, is there any reason you favour the former route over the latter? Will it give better performance?

The only reason I ask is because there is another extension which I need to wire up, which could be done via the new "master socket" if I did take the latter option. Doing it another way though and doing the former option for the VDSL extension is also not a problem.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 11:50:59 PM »

It's really just my preference to separate the xDSL and telephony circuits at the earliest available opportunity.

One point to remember is that once the xDSL circuit has been extended from the SSFP, the 8P8C (i.e. RJ45) socket in the upper part of the SSFP must not be used . . . for the data extension wiring would then become a bridging tap if that socket was used. I would go as far as sticking a "Do Not Use" label over the SSFP's socket.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 07:10:55 PM »

Assuming FTTC, there is of course another option, to maintain a separate modem & router.

That allows the modem to be optimally located near the master socket, whilst the router and wireless AP are optimally located somewhere else.  You still have to link the two with cat 5 ethernet, but you can be confident it won't have any affect on broadband performance.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 08:06:16 PM »

That sounds very similar to my situation the master socket was by the front door which kept smashing into the Master Socket when door was fully opened.

Replaced Master socket with a small BT80 then ran 3 meters of CW1308 cable into hallway and that is now the Master Socket NTE5 and used the SSFP for data extension with 10 meters of CAT5e  tracked up into roof space and then down to the 6P6C socket.

Lost about 600Kbps by doing this but well worth it as Modem is where it's really needed and no sightly sticky out cables at the MS
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:18:47 PM by NewtronStar »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 08:07:10 AM »

Thanks burakkucat :)

Just out of interest, is there any reason you favour the former route over the latter? Will it give better performance?

The only reason I ask is because there is another extension which I need to wire up, which could be done via the new "master socket" if I did take the latter option. Doing it another way though and doing the former option for the VDSL extension is also not a problem.

There'd be no issue with using the same multi-paired cable to the new location with one twisted pair being used for the data and one for the phone extension and then use a double faceplate: https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/doubleeurofaceplate.html
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530