Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Windows XP SP3 will be released April 29th  (Read 20687 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Windows XP SP3 will be released April 29th
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 01:21:34 PM »

So no, I probably won't get around to trying it anytime soon,

Is that including the auto updates or just installing from the SP3 pack?

I did notice when going for a update check it gives the option of installing the SP3 updates or just selecting the normal updates.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 05:08:09 PM »

So no, I probably won't get around to trying it anytime soon, until I see a few more positive reports!! Floydy's counts as one, gotta find a few more first!.....

Chris,
If you are counting, add two votes from me.
I put it on my old Packard Bell NEC with Intel Pentium4 and also on my (newer) Acer Extensa with AMD Athlon64 X2.
Both are working fine, not really speeded up as far as I have noticed but certainly not slowed down.
In my other post I said that I had downloaded the full SP3 to, and installed on the Acer, and then burned it to disc for the second (P-B) PC as it was going to take over an hour to download.
It's now a week and nothing untoward so I can now be classed as one of the 'Happy Chappies'.
dave

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 05:28:38 PM »

I installed SP3 last weekend on an Intel Pentium 4 and have had no problems with it.  All peripherals seem to be working fine.  I can't say it seems any faster - if anything it seems a tad slower than before SP3 but perhaps that is just me looking forward to my memory update!

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 06:14:05 PM »

Would anyone like a challenge ?

On the normal update page if you select "Custom" part of the wording now says you can order SP3 on CD.
But after clicking the link "I can't find where to order it"

I know I can DL it and already have have it, but I would prefer to have M$ send me one as they did with SP2.
So would anyone like to try and find the order page.

http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

scottiesmum

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 09:03:31 PM »

OF  I would help you if I could,  BUT   ..a strange thing happened when I went onto your link ....I'm using FF,  the whole thing froze up  ...closed FF and then tried to re-open but received  the message 'Fireforx is already open, either close it or re start computer'   as it was already closed, I restarted machine...then was told FF couldn't open.   I traced the fault through Googling... (had to use IE7)   went into FF profiles and deleted the Parent lock file   !!! :'( :'( ....  re started computer and VOILA all back to normal  .....   UNTIL   ....   I clicked on your link again   (glutton for punishment aren't I !) this time I had the message  FF has to close ..... !!!!  so I'm  sorry I don't know where you order from your CD from    ........  I feel like saying   " am I   bovvered  "   :lol:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:32:45 PM by scottiesmum »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 11:01:07 PM »

.. (had to use IE7)   went into FF profiles and deleted the Parent lock file   !!!

Thanks for trying anyway.

I can't see that it would be anything to do with a parental lock, my link above was with using IE6, so I wonder if it's just a FF problem with trying to access the M$ site.
I do seem to recall people saying that they still use IE for updating, so again it could be a FF problem with the M$ site.

To anyone else who may fancy trying, just try it from your normal M$ update link, but then select the "Custom" update.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 11:15:16 PM »

From what I remember, the SP2 CDs took a while to appear for order, and probably the same will be true of SP3 ones.

They might not even do it, because nowadays, dare I say, most people either have broadband, OR know someone with it, so downloading the ISO image or the Network install isn't as much of a problem as it used to be. But maybe that's me being too blinkered? Dunno!

Even the Windows XP Downloads page doesn't have SP3 listed anywhere! Looks like it really was just quietly rolled out, and the site stuff comes later.

SP3 isn't anywhere near as big a change as SP2 was, so there isn't the great push to install it like with SP2, so perhaps they're being a bit more laid back about the whole affair. Plus with M$ trying to push us all onto Vista, they may be less likely to make it easier for people to stay on XP?

Will be interesting anyway, to see what develops :)
Chris

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 11:27:08 PM »

Just to add, OF, I went to Windows Update, and followed the link for ordering it on CD, but looks like the CD isn't available at all yet. It did say on the site that Service Packs available on the web may not yet be available on CD.

And interestingly, I spotted this which I'd not seen or realised before:

Note You must have either Windows XP Service Pack 1a or Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed in order to install Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Interesting! No versions of Windows (well, the NT-based ones anyway) have required anything but the 'gold' OS to be installed first. However, over 5 years after the release of SP1a, it's fair to expect customers have upgraded by now! Although having said that, I do see more PCs than I'd like running SP1 or even XP in its birthday suit. And predictably, they're usually the worst ones to sort out too :(
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2008, 11:45:59 PM »

I went to Windows Update, and followed the link for ordering it on CD,
Thanks for trying Chris, at least if nothing else it's not just my imagination of seeing SP3 available on CD etc and not being able to find it.

Although I have to admit, my search skills are not what they should be (absolutely useless) :graduate:

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2008, 11:47:23 PM »

It was only last week that the M$ Update Site had a notice that 'Only users with SP2 would receive Updates'.
Just had a look now and that box is missing, it was the bottom right under the Auto Updates selection box. Does anyone remember it?
Must have been removed so that they can put the SP3 restrictions as SP1a for receiving SP3.
Having burned the SP3 to a CD from my XP SP2 computer download, what is stopping me trying to install it on a bare XP. Don't know if it would go OK or throw up some glitches.

As for Kate and her Firefox playing up, M$ Updates are only available through IE browsers or FF with the IE addon. Even if your FF is set as default, clicking on M$ Updates will turn on IE to go to the site. Not sure if that may explain the reason for FF throwing a wobbler.

dave

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 12:33:25 AM »

Having burned the SP3 to a CD from my XP SP2 computer download, what is stopping me trying to install it on a bare XP. Don't know if it would go OK or throw up some glitches.

What's stopping you? Probably the installer routine which will presumably check the version before allowing the install to proceed?

Glitches and stuff.. I guess there would be some fairly major pre-SP1 omissions... I assume they've done this to keep the size of the download down a bit.. SP1 was an extra 133MB iirc!
Chris

scottiesmum

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2008, 07:58:26 AM »

As for Kate and her Firefox playing up, M$ Updates are only available through IE browsers or FF with the IE addon. Even if your FF is set as default, clicking on M$ Updates will turn on IE to go to the site. Not sure if that may explain the reason for FF throwing a wobbler.

Hi Dave,   I know that updates can only be done through IE  ...    I wouldn't have thought that the link to MS would cause a glitch on FF ....   I made two attempts at the link,  each time causing a problem  ....  I suppose  it might have been a coincidence  .....technology  ::)    hey ho !   :)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »

I just tried going to Windows Update in Firefox 2.0.0.14 (latest) - and just got a message saying I need to use IE5 or above.

No crashes... maybe a dodgy extension or something?
Chris

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2008, 10:40:55 AM »

Chris, windows update won't work in Firefox unless you've got the IEtab extension.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2008, 01:33:04 PM »

Floydy, yeah I do know that Windows Update requires IE... sorry think I wasn't very clear what I was trying to say there... scottiesmum went to OF's link in Firefox and her browser froze up - which shouldn't happen.

I was just seeing if my Firefox also froze up, which it didn't!
Chris
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5