Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: HG635, HG633 and Sync Speeds  (Read 8685 times)

GunJack

• Reg Member
Re: HG635, HG633 and Sync Speeds
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 09:18:02 PM »

It certainly looks as if there is the potential for a higher synchronisation speed with (what seems to be) that 9 dB SNRM target. Have we established with which type of DSLAM your serving "fibre" cabinet is quipped? If it's Huawei equipped then, given time, G.Inp should be enabled for your circuit.

Not too bad, thank you. (The older kittehs become, the more grumpier their day.)  ;)

TBH b*cat, this year hasn't allowed time for techie/broadband/anything, been a bit preoccupied with more important stuff, especially once I went FTTC and the Mini-Guns stopped pestering about "only" having 6meg bb. However, I was synced at 56-57 meg @ 6dB for a good while before the outage, so no reason when everything settles I should get back to at least that.

Is there a lookup site somewhere to check the provenance of my cab, or do I need to pop round and take photos??  If there's a lookup, it's cab 5 on WNWXN exchange  :fingers:
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 09:38:36 PM »

I remember when you found the PCP through which your line is connected . . . it was "embedded" in the hedge at the front of a garden.  :)

But having disclosed "it's cab 5 on WNWXN exchange", we can make use of Magneta System's CodeLook service. So this is the first screen I examined and it shows --

Cabinet P5      FTTC Available from 26th February 2013      Phase 09a 2012-2013      186      ECI      LL11 1AA

We can see the "dreaded" three letters, ECI. So currently no G.998.4 (a.k.a. G.Inp) will be possible for your circuit. Maybe sometime next year . . .  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 09:43:31 PM »

I remember when you found the PCP through which your line is connected . . . it was "embedded" in the hedge at the front of a garden.  :)

But having disclosed "it's cab 5 on WNWXN exchange", we can make use of Magneta System's CodeLook service. So this is the first screen I examined and it shows --

We can see the "dreaded" three letters, ECI. So currently no G.998.4 (a.k.a. G.Inp) will be possible for your circuit. Maybe sometime next year . . .  :(

lol, you remembered!!  ;D  The MSAN cab is, thankfully, NOT in the hedge, and only about 2 feet away from the PCP. Thanks for the info re: it's an ECI cab... so it's a waiting game :( Any particular chipset routers may be better than the TT-supplied HG635 or 633 for ECI?

Soz for all the questions, told you I was a bit out-of-touch :(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 09:55:57 PM »

There are two options --
  • Match the DSLAM chipset by choosing Lantiq
  • For reliable view-ability of the circuit statistics choose Broadcom
Our leader, Kitz, is connected via an ECI DSLAM but after significant testing has found that the Broadcom based devices are best for her circuit.

Please take a look at the very first post of this thread and then I'll suggest that you research the various ZyXEL VMGxxx devices, mentioned at the bottom of the list.

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 10:38:25 PM »

Thanks b*cat, still a true gent :)  Looking at the prices of those routers, think I'll have to stick with the TT-supplied ones for the time being....

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 11:01:52 PM »

Thanks b*cat, still a true gent :) 

:blush:

Looking at the prices of those routers, think I'll have to stick with the TT-supplied ones for the time being....

Yes, they are rather pricey. But I managed to purchase a new, unused ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D for less than £40 . . . and it performs well on my G.992.3 (a.k.a. ADSL2) circuit. A daily scan of eBay can prove to be quite beneficial.  ;)

aneesh99

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 11:20:06 PM »

Thanks b*cat, still a true gent :)  Looking at the prices of those routers, think I'll have to stick with the TT-supplied ones for the time being....

You can nab an Eircom F1000 which is a VGM8324. Only problem is you'll have to unbrand it  ???

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 07:39:10 AM »

OK, so after having given the line chance to settle, the current stats are as follows, using the HG633:-

Broadband Information
DSL synchronization status: Up
Connection status: Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s): 17051
Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 54005
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s): 16979
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s): 75192
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 6
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 7
Upstream interleave depth: 1
Downstream interleave depth: 2714
Line standard: VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB): 0.1 (must be a fw bug, surely? the HG635 always reported it around 25dB)
Downstream line attenuation (dB): 13.1
Upstream output power (dBm): 6.8
Downstream output power (dBm): 12.2
Channel type: Interleaved
DSL up-time: 16 days 1 hour 20 minutes 40 seconds

considering the interleaving (which was always reported as fastpath on the HG635, with interleaving depths of 0 both up & down) is it worth asking for a line re-train, or is it unlikely to produce better syncs than currently? I don't mind spending half an hour on the phone to TT if it may be worth it..... any opinions welcomed :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:29:24 AM by GunJack »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 09:17:04 AM »

There's no such thing as a line retrain on FTTC DLM. It's a 100% hands off system. There's absolutely nothing any ISP can do to "tweak" anything on the line.

The only way I know of to help remove interleaving would be using a Broadcom based modem and setting maxdatarate via the telnet interface. Limiting the sync speed to a figure considerably lower than the attainable for around 10 days can push the all important Error Seconds (ES) down low enough for DLM to remove interleaving.

The Huawei HG633 doesn't have this ability, but the Huawei HG635 may. It's the only Talktalk issued VDSL2 modem I'm aware of that has access to the Broadcom CLI via telnet and works with DslStats. It should in theory allow setting a maxdatarate and then allowing you to monitor the ES numbers to remove interleaving.

Personally I think the HG635 is a much better piece of kit than the HG633. The HG635 has 4 gigabit LAN ports, and a fully accessible telnet interface. The HG633 only has 100mb LAN ports, none are gigabit. It appears to have a Triductor modem, which to be honest I've never even heard of.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »

There's no such thing as a line retrain on FTTC DLM. It's a 100% hands off system. There's absolutely nothing any ISP can do to "tweak" anything on the line.

The only way I know of to help remove interleaving would be using a Broadcom based modem and setting maxdatarate via the telnet interface. Limiting the sync speed to a figure considerably lower than the attainable for around 10 days can push the all important Error Seconds (ES) down low enough for DLM to remove interleaving.

The Huawei HG633 doesn't have this ability, but the Huawei HG635 may. It's the only Talktalk issued VDSL2 modem I'm aware of that has access to the Broadcom CLI via telnet and works with DslStats. It should in theory allow setting a maxdatarate and then allowing you to monitor the ES numbers to remove interleaving.

Personally I think the HG635 is a much better piece of kit than the HG633. The HG635 has 4 gigabit LAN ports, and a fully accessible telnet interface. The HG633 only has 100mb LAN ports, none are gigabit. It appears to have a Triductor modem, which to be honest I've never even heard of.

appreciate the response, unfortunately 1. time is a big limiting factor and 2. looks like I have to send the 635 back to TT to avoid being billed for the 633 :(   I wasn't on about a tweak from ISP, just a reset of connection to see if DLM then settled it any better...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 10:47:11 AM »

Openreach won't (officially) reset the connection unless a line fault has been diagnosed and repaired. TT can't do it directly themselves.
  Eric

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 11:17:37 AM »

They want the older HG635 back? Why? They no longer (and haven't for a long time) provided that model. Talktalk have never asked me to send an old router back. I have about 4 in the cupboard.

Which gives you the best sync? The HG635 is definitely the favoured model. If that syncs better I would suggest returning the newer HG633.

As Roseway detailed a little more than my previous comment, the ISP cannot reset the DLM on your line. They cannot even request OpenReach to do so. Only an on site OpenReach engineer can reset the DLM. They are instructed to only do this if a fault is found and repaired.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 [2]