Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question about new builds  (Read 5449 times)

13Xs

Question about new builds
« on: December 15, 2016, 07:47:16 PM »

Edit: Original question answered. Please see the third post.

Hi peeps,

I will be moving to a new build in several weeks and naturally figuring out the broadband situation is a top priority. None of the lines in the building are active yet, so I was looking at the developer's other builds to see what is usually on offer. None have FTTP but all have 80Mbps on clean lines. This is regardless of the distance from the local cabinet (using Mouselike's useful tool) - some were a fifth of a mile and others were a mile.

I was a bit puzzled by this but then I noticed this in the BT checker results for every property: The DP is internal to the end user premises.

Am I right in thinking that this means the DSLAM is actually in the building? How is it connected to the exchange in a way that allows for such speeds over the distance? Fibre seems like the obvious answer but a fibre run that stops 10 metres short of the end user seems a bit silly. Perhaps it saves the builder a few pennies?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 07:01:00 PM by burakkucat »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: The DP is internal to the end user premises - Good?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 08:02:01 PM »

Am I right in thinking that this means the DSLAM is actually in the building?

Afraid not. The FTTC DSLAM will be installed next to the Cabinet as normal - the 'internal DP' will just replace what would have been a telegraph pole (or similar).

Between the Cabinet and DP will be copper..
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 07:01:25 PM by burakkucat »

13Xs

Re: The DP is internal to the end user premises - Good?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:00:18 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I did some further checking by locating the cabinets on street view and they were closer to the other developments than it originally appeared. It seems this will be this company's first development that isn't around the corner from a cabinet - sucks to be me!

Does anyone know how new builds are connected to a cabinet - are new copper lines run to it or do they just splice in at the property's boundary? At least a new line would be unlikely to have any issues.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Question about new builds
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 11:26:51 PM »

The new development . . . Does it consist of a number of individual houses or is it one (or more) apartment block(s)?  :-\

I am trying to rationalise the statement "The DP is internal to the end user premises."

It will be an entirely new metallic pathway from each property to the distribution point and probably new cabling back to the PCP.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

13Xs

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 11:30:50 PM »

It's two buildings (right next door to each other) with about 75 flats between them. Fingers crossed for new cables!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 11:56:52 PM »

Ah, that is useful information.  :)

I fully expect there to be a multi-pair cable run from the PCP to each building and then there to be a distribution point installed in each building's "services room/cupboard". Finally, there will be a pair run from the DP to each individual apartment.

13Xs

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 12:50:46 PM »

My new build is now connected to a cabinet according to BT's checker. Interestingly/oddly, the cabinet is on the far side of a nearby railway viaduct, while all neighbouring properties are connected to cabinets on their near side.

Is it possible to find out the route that the cable takes? I had been keeping an eye on London Roadworks and BT hasn't done anything recently in the immediate vicinity, so the route (and its length) isn't obvious.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 04:39:09 PM »

Is it possible to find out the route that the cable takes? I had been keeping an eye on London Roadworks and BT hasn't done anything recently in the immediate vicinity, so the route (and its length) isn't obvious.

It really depends upon whether it is a new cable installed in, say, the last month or is a pre-existing cable. Ideally you would need to provide details -- location (address and postcode), PCP number, telephone number (if such a service is currently connected) -- to someone who has access to the network records.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 07:01:57 PM by burakkucat »

13Xs

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 05:34:17 PM »

Question answered. Details snipped.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 07:02:21 PM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 06:32:15 PM »

I've taken a quick look via Magenta Systems CodeLook and is it a little complicated.

P26 is shown as serving properties to the west of the railway viaduct whereas the postcode XXX XXX appears to be mapped to P27, which is to the east of the viaduct.

I wonder if Black Sheep would be able to make a few checks for you?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 06:41:31 PM by burakkucat »

13Xs

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 02:44:17 PM »

I've taken a quick look via Magenta Systems CodeLook and is it a little complicated.

P26 is shown as serving properties to the west of the railway viaduct whereas the postcode XXX XXX appears to be mapped to P27, which is to the east of the viaduct.

I wonder if Black Sheep would be able to make a few checks for you?
Even the site office (at XXX XXX) is connected to P27. Perhaps it had no capacity or the BT checker is just in error when it says the new buildings (the other being XXX XXX Street, XXX XXX) are connected to P26. Black Sheep, I'd be grateful if you could shed any light on this.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 06:42:46 PM by burakkucat »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 03:17:28 PM »

Well I've had a look and TBH, it's as clear as mud ?? Your address doesn't actually show a numbered DP yet on our Network Records, but it does show a new duct going into the building, just off XXX St.

The problem is from my vision of the plant, I can't distinguish if the duct that will be used shoots of towards PCP26, or PCP27 as it just shows as a 'Tee Junction' which means a cable could be pulled through from either side ??

The rough measurement is 500mtrs from PCP27 and 550mtrs from PCP26 ...... so nothing in it in that respect.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 06:43:21 PM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 06:27:15 PM »

Well I've had a look and TBH, it's as clear as mud ??

With it being a new development, not yet ready for inhabitation, I had a suspicion that the network records would still be ambiguous. But thank you for finding the time to check and giving us your professional opinion on the topic.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 06:34:50 PM »

:thumbs:

13Xs

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 09:32:02 AM »

Thank you very much for checking Black Sheep. It is good to know that whether 26 or 27 is used will be inconsequential.
Pages: [1] 2

anything