Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: CSS / UI preferences  (Read 4418 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
CSS / UI preferences
« on: December 15, 2016, 03:59:43 AM »

I wish I could change the CSS defaults in use on the site, as I'd love to be able to make all the fonts smaller in Safari on my iPad Pro, as now the larger screen means that all the text is too big and I can't fit enough stuff on the screen.

It's Safari’s fault that this isn't customisable, of course. There is a javascript hack for Safari that will do what I want for a particular page, but it isn't persistent and the moment I reload the page its effect is gone.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:15:13 AM by Weaver »

petef

• Reg Member
Re: CSS / UI preferences
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 07:40:57 AM »

I use Opera on my Mac and that has the Stylish extension to do what you ask. It is also available for Safari and Chrome, I believe.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com/

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »

Thanks for that tip Pete.

I took a look at that and saw a mention of something for “Safari” but no mention of Safari for iOS, and at that point I got rather lost where a download was mentioned, but I work out what is being offered. I'm just guessing that the website is perhaps talking about MacOS Safari. I will have to talk to the good developer.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 03:23:27 PM »

I wonder if the Simple Machines engine has anything useful.

Again, this is really a Safari usability issue, as it doesn't even follow iOS’ own (hopefully) global font size setting in Settings, which is able to control the point size used in (parts, at least, of) the iOS shell, for example.

And it would have been sensible if they had made the default fonts chosen on the iPad Pro the same physical size as on the earlier iPads. Maybe the pixels on the iPad Pro are bigger, which is silly, if true.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 04:45:03 PM »

Is it just the forums? 

Is it anything to do with accessibility options? - link
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 05:35:01 PM »

@kitz - No, it's just a general Safari iOS think, and for some reason it just seems a lot more noticeable on the iPad Pro with the larger screen. (Not the later 9.7" alternative product that confusingly is also called “Pro”.)

[Perhaps the iPad Pro's pixels are larger, I haven't done the arithmetic. Or it could be cowardice on behalf of Apple, worried about web designers having assumed that all iPads have the same “size” display in some sense, and so maybe iPad Pro Safari is using some odd virtual pixel scaling units. Mind you, there's the iPad Mini, and the iPhone 6S Plus, which I think has a big screen for an iPhone, not that I've ever seen one, so there are actually already a number of different physical sizes of i-Device screens for web designers to think about. (No one ever takes any notice of the W3C's definition of the standard browser's conceptual ‘pixel’ and everyone in the browser design world just seems to copy each other somehow.)]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 05:46:27 PM »

Ive tried looking into this.

According to Chrome developer tools:
Image 1 below shows how the forum should render on the ipad pro in portrait mode. (1024x1366)
Image 2 below shows how the forum should render on the ipad pro in landscape mode. (1366 x 1024)

Both look perfectly fine to me and shows that (in chrome at least) pages would be rendered as intended on the ipad pro

-----------

Then I checked out the resolution for the ipad pro which is 2732x2048.   Noticing the difference I googled more and came up with this - New Ipad - Why is Safari's resolution still 1024x768?

Safari tells the web server still has a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels

I don't know if its the answer or if there is another solution.. because I'm sure the forums look perfectly ok on dads ipad Air2

So the answer is not for Apple to do something to give us a better browser, but for the whole world to change all their web pages.....

Works for me!

:( :( :( :(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 05:53:57 PM »

Whilst on my searches, I found this. - link

Sometimes the font on a Web page needs to be bigger or smaller, a feature that's built into most desktop browsers. But, when it comes to iOS and Mobile Safari, the ability to adjust font size is missing.

Well, thanks to Marcos Kirsch, you're two bookmarks away from being able to adjust font size of a Web page on your iPhone or iPad. Here's what you need to do.

It appears to be based on the javascript hack but suggests using bookmarks to ensure the preferred font sizes remain.
Not sure if it would work or not though on the forums as they are dynamically generated :/
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 06:14:12 PM »

Many thanks. I'm already using a couple of techniques like that. I have a javascript bookmarklet and some Safari extensions which plug into the top right hand corner activities menu thing, or whatever it is called, cost all of £0.97. They work really well, albeit a bit slow. They reformat the current page only, by causing it to redraw after it has been loaded and rendered.

But the real problem with them is that they are not persistent, so you have to keep hitting them again and again on every page. But they are still extremely useful.

It of course is the wrong thing to ask about one site when the problem is completely general. But some such engines do have look-and-feel customisation facilities, so if it ever became appropriate to fit in a tweak, then…

Anyway, I've done the right thing, and sent a feature request in to Apple via the support team, for what it's worth.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 06:31:27 PM »

It would appear that this is a Safari specific issue.  Would using a different browser make things easier?
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 12:05:52 AM »

Good point. Actually, following your suggestion, I've now discovered there is an add-in for the iCab web browser that does the right thing. So I'll keep nagging at Apple to get them to make Safari more usable.