Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VGM8324 modem only  (Read 2524 times)

aneesh99

VGM8324 modem only
« on: December 13, 2016, 08:31:23 PM »

Hey guys and gals,

Had a few quick questions. Finally given in and picked up an Asus RT-N66U to use as my router, also VPN goodness.

With regards to how to setup my VGM8324, I've used Kitz guide on using it in bridge mode. I was wondering about additional settings that I would need to tweak.
Should DHCP be disabled on it? And what about stuff like the firewall?

Thanks,
Aneesh  :)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: VGM8324 modem only
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 08:36:36 PM »

If you run it in bridge/modem  mode it will just be a bridge/modem. You dont need dhcp.

aneesh99

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 09:28:44 PM »

I only ask because DHCP stayed on after putting into bridge mode. Is there anything else you had to tweak or setup? I'm having some issues with packet loss, I'm going to try and remove my homeplugs to see if that fixes anything...

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 09:40:58 PM »

well just having a quick look at mine - I use v14 firmware, I found v15 casued weird snrm and lower sync rates on my eci line

dhcp- disabled
Lan ipv6 disabled
IPv4 Firewall : Enable     IPv6 Firewall : Enable     

Being on sky - here's my bridge settings attached

Mine was ex kcom, so I manually removed the password,user,http links for the tr-069 etc..

Apart from that I haven't done anything-my pfsense router is connected to port1 and my monitoring setup runs out of port 4.
Have you set up TBB ping monitor or uploading stats? - when I used my ausus as my router pre pfsense days I used to suffer a lot of packet loss. Once I stopped using that and implemented my pfsense box as my router it resolved the packet loss issue for good.

What cab type are you on out of interest. You could see my packet loss on the tbb monitor

Is your router directly connected to the 8324 - I assume it is. - you could get issues with the home plugs...

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:46:34 PM by skyeci »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 09:57:05 PM »

it is good practice to make sure things like DHCP and port forwarding are disabled on a bridge device.

aneesh99

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 07:56:32 PM »

Sorted that, I only asked because DHCP remained on after putting it into bridge. I'm having some issues making the GUI available. MY RT-66 keeps reporting modem hangups every couple of hours with the second Ethernet cable attached. I've followed this:

Group Name:  Bridge
WAN Interfaces used: PTM type > VDSL/ppp1.1
Available LAN Interfaces:  Click LAN1 and move it to the Grouped LAN Interfaces

I have a Cat 6 cable going from LAN 1 on the VGM8324 to the WAN port of my router, and one going from LAN4 of my router to LAN4 of the VGM8324 for access to the interface. Does all of that seem okay or am I being a derp?  ;)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 08:15:41 PM »

Sounds OK. 

I have port 1 to my pfsense box and port 4 direct into a second network card on my monitoring pc.  1st card looking at the lan, 2nd looking at the modem network only..

aneesh99

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 01:43:56 AM »

For whatever reason, the interface settings didn't stick first time so I've just done it again. No issues so far!  :fingers: