Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: All-in-one or router paired with HG612?  (Read 1585 times)

13Xs

All-in-one or router paired with HG612?
« on: December 13, 2016, 06:32:31 PM »

Hello folks,

I will shortly be moving from an address where I have been using a Virgin Media router in modem mode, paired with an Asus N66U router, to a flat served only by FTTC.

The Asus has been solid with the Merlin firmware - uptimes of more than a month and any connection problems were invariably with the modem - and I would be happy to continue using it, but I will need a new modem. The HG612 is the obvious choice despite its age.

Is there any practical benefit (aside from fewer wires and lower energy usage) to using a newer all-in-one box instead of pairing the HG612 with the N66U? My days of tinkering endlessly with hardware are behind me, so I would be happy with the unlocked HG612's limited interface, but a newer piece of hardware that offers greater stability, lower pings and/or sync rates out of the box would be good.

If there are any such products, please recommend away. I definitely do not want to spend more than £125ish.

Thanks!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: All-in-one or router paired with HG612?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 11:59:16 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

Please take a look at the initial post to this thread. Of the devices listed there, I will suggest you consider the various ZyXEL VMGxxxx-B10x devices.

Some members use those ZyXEL devices as "one box" solutions, others use them just as bridging modems and pair them with separate routers.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: All-in-one or router paired with HG612?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 09:21:10 AM »

I'd second burakkucat's suggestion of using a Zyxel device.
I've recently got a VMG8924 and it certainly gets the best out of my line - 42Mbps from a line that BTs dslchecker thinks should max-out at 35Mbps (thankyou G.INP  ;D).
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A