Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: List of router speeds?  (Read 2683 times)

Sunzz

List of router speeds?
« on: December 14, 2016, 02:39:22 PM »

Hey guys hope ur all doing well :) just wondering is there some kind of list of routers speeds etc recorded from the same line? like a reviewer of some sort? im curious to know if there really is much difference between these normal stock FTTC routers we get compared to super expensive ones :)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: List of router speeds?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 02:45:41 PM »

What tends to make the routers more expensive is the wireless, the VDSL2 modem components have not changed as much.

Sunzz

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 02:48:43 PM »

What tends to make the routers more expensive is the wireless, the VDSL2 modem components have not changed as much.

Yeh thats what i was thinking, its manly about features, but then i noticed on one of kitz reviews for a router that he got 3.5 mb speed increase. So then im like hmm i wonder if some reviewers have recorded all speeds with loads of routers on their personal line to see the difference.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 05:13:26 PM »

The problem with a comparison like this is that external factors mean line conditions are changing all the time so after swapping a modem you can't be sure if a difference is due to the line or the modem.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 05:36:15 PM »

Hi

Also it is very line dependent, and what works best for one persons' line may be the worst performer on another.

You can follow general trends, such as the ZyXEL 8324/8924 generally giving good results, but even then it isn't guaranteed for everyone, and whilst those models were good for many, they also caused problems for others.

Regards

Phil

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 06:42:29 PM »

I have a Zyxel 8324 and it does indeed give a better downstream sync, but what I gain on the downstream I lose on the upstream. IIRC it makes about 1.5Mbps difference. But as Phil said YMMV.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 09:52:20 PM »

Its very easy the Broadcom 63168 chipset will always give you a better SNRM for a line than the older Broadcom chipsets which is why most of us see a higher sync rate on the Downstream

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 09:54:22 PM »

From what I understand the 2 latest BT homehub routers are way faster than high end asus ac routers, as BT designed them to cope with FTTP 330mbit services.

On my asus ac68 which has CTF disabled and runs QoS, the router when on plusnet using pppoe would hit 90% cpu usage on one core at full line rate. (overclocked).  On sky dhcp its cpu usage is noticebly lower which is expected as PPPOE is a very heavy cpu usage protocol.  But I still get spikes up to 60% or so when downloading of steam as that floods the connections with dozens of threads.

The pfsense router hasnt had any performance tests but I expect it will handle my line with ease, basically the small form intel units sold on amazon that me and ronski brought in the £100-150 price bracket are way more powerful than most consumer commercial routers.

Perhaps the OP should clarify if they mean sync speeds (modem) or actual router performance, as seems is some confusion.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 10:36:52 PM »

Seeing as he says "routers speeds etc recorded from the same line" I think it's a pretty safe bet that it's sync speed.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 10:51:42 PM »

Below are some links to stats for a few routers compared to a Huawei HG612.

Recently my line has become unstable, but when all these tests below were undertaken my line would never vary by more than 0.1dB and would mostly flat line.
The exception is obviously crosstalk, but that didn't apply in any of these cases.   I would take stats from  hg612 then immediately sync with the router I was testing with.  I am confident that there will have been no significant line variance during the time of testing.

Huawei HG612 - v - TPLink Archer
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/tplink_Archer_VR900_review.htm

Huawei HG612 - v - TPLink TD-W9970

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/tplink_TD-W9970_review.htm

Huawei HG612 - v - TPLink TD-9980

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/tplink_TD-W9980_review.htm

Huawei HG612 - v- Zyxel VMG8324
The Zyxel VMG8324 regularly and reliably gives 3.5Mbps more than the HG612.  I didn't have any upstream loss on my line.

Zyxel VMG1312-B10D

Ive recently tried a VMG1312-B10D.  At the moment my line is not stable enough to do an accurate compare... but downstream was similar and only slightly less than the VMG8324, However I did lose a fair bit from the upstream.

what works best for one persons' line may be the worst performer on another.

This ^. 
Generally though,  for most (but not all) lines the BCM 63168 chipset do seem to work very well.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker