Broadband Related > Known Network Issues + MSO's

Major outage at broadband biz 186k

<< < (2/4) > >>

NEXUS2345:
Considering that they terminated the connections, there is no need for the new ISP to contact the old ISP. They can commence an order straight away.

According to ISP Review, the supplier they failed to pay was not BT Wholesale nor did they have a direct business relationship with TalkTalk Business/Wholesale. They did however use a different supplier who DOES use TTB. They also appear to have been using Fluidata (FluidOne) for 20CN lines, and are able to offer same day switchover to their recommended partner ISPs, even if they use BTw back haul. They list these ISPs as being Net365, Abzorb Data, and IDNet. People on the TalkTalk networks appear to be getting online very quickly as well.

Some are having luck with BT lines, others not so much. If you are on a BT line and being given a live date after christmas, once you receive your login details, put them into your router immediately, as there may be a chance that your service goes live sooner.

Chrysalis:
Ok so the system doesnt apply in this situation, thats good news.

Weaver:
Is this in fact rather more than an "outage", do we think?

So is it the case that what I assumed from reading ispreview is not fair, that fast.co.uk hasn't gone bust, it's rather that their supplier hasn't paid their bill and they may or may not have had it?

So there is a possibility albeit perhaps slim that fast.co.uk might stagger on?

How did the unfortunate migrants end up at the door of AA etc then? (and IDNet? Aquiss?) Did they have to find themselves some alternative service quick without any guidance, or did someone arrange something for them?

De-confusing Weaver: Do we think at this point that the issue at the bottom of all this is that Fluidata is a supplier to a supplier and didn't get its money due from 186k which then stuffed fast.co.uk and possibly other brands / VISPs?

NEXUS2345:
186k couldn't afford to pay someone, because they may have been operating at too slim a margin. As a result, they just simply told their supplier they couldn't pay them, so a cease went through the system on all the broadband lines. 186k told everyone to find a different ISP, and because many of them were on these small vISPs, which tend to focus on support more than minimising costs, they decided to go with people like A&A, Zen, Aquiss, IDNet, and others. Some may have gone to them simply for the guarantee to have their lines back online before christmas, which is also perfectly reasonable.

Weaver:
Chrysalis wrote:
> so I think a example should be made of them.

Agreed. What a nightmare for those users, worry before xmas for families, old folks and people who really need to keep in touch and business owners trying to get some work done at this hectic time of year.

I wonder how much warning users got?

Idea, v rough: perhaps Ofcom should require suppliers to notify Ofcom before pulling the plug on an ISP’s service and there should be (i) some mandatory financial reserve - like a deposit, I don't know the correct financial concepts / terminology - that ensures continued supply of service for something like ten days or whatever it takes for users to switch, and (ii) some mechanism whereby Ofcom can ensure that ultimate end-users all do get notified immediately the moment the clock starts running.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version