Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: upstream speed problem.  (Read 3082 times)

npr

• Reg Member
upstream speed problem.
« on: December 13, 2016, 11:54:10 AM »

I'm interested in finding out how the 40/2 VDSL products limits the upstream sync speed.

Does it reduce the frequencies available for the upstream band, so that a poor lines may get much less than 2Mbps whereas the same poor line on a 40/10 product may get 2Mbps or more.
Or does it limit the maximum upstream sync some other way.

I ask because a BT technician, who came to investigate my poor upstream speed, says I'm provisioned on a 40/2 product whereas I should be on a 54/10 product and that is the cause of my poor upstream sync speed (0.5 - 0.8 Mbps).

I can well believe I'm provisioned, in error,  on a 40/2 product because my BT speed test results now show a IP profile of 2 Mbps up where before it always show 10Mbps. I'm not so sure this is the cause of my reduced upstream sync from previously 1.8Mbps to 0.6Mbps now.

Any information on this will be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:08:45 PM by npr »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: upstream speed problem.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 01:34:03 PM »

it just simply puts a cap on the maximum upstream sync.

the 40/10 or 55/10 products wont increase your US speed if you not even able to hit 2mbit.

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 05:54:09 PM »

Yes that was my first though, then I realised I was making assumptions, the comments by the BT technician has put doubt in my mind.
Do they provision the same upstream tone for the 2Mbps product as they provision for the 10Mbps product.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 06:02:57 PM »

Do they provision the same upstream tone for the 2Mbps product as they provision for the 10Mbps product.

Yes.

Essentially the Openreach products, 18/2, 40/2, 40/10, 55/10 and 80/20, are all the same . . . it is just the application an explicit cap to limit the maximum synchronisation speed possible.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 05:35:16 PM »

Eventually got BT to look into this, and after much reluctance on their part they finally admitted I'm was on a 40/2 profile when I should have been on a 40/10 profile. I've now been put on the correct 40/10 profile and can confirm it's made absolutely no difference to my poor upstream sync.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 09:49:57 AM »

Eventually got BT to look into this, and after much reluctance on their part they finally admitted I'm was on a 40/2 profile when I should have been on a 40/10 profile. I've now been put on the correct 40/10 profile and can confirm it's made absolutely no difference to my poor upstream sync.
I may be recalling wrong, but aren't you on some completely different DSLAM firmware to everyone else, which resulted in the drop in Upstream?
If that is the case, this should be your focus of complaints.
I apologise if I'm recalling wrong

edit: yes, quick search
Quote from: NPR

When I first saw this thread, I noticed my eci cabinet was showing 0xb206
After yesterdays resync it's now showing:

DSLAM/MSAN type:           IFTN:0xd086 / v0xd086

Also my upstream sync has dropped from 1.6Mbps down to 0.5Mbps.
I can't see a single engineer or product change helping there.
I would be sending an email to Head Office/CEO OpenReach with as much detail as possible, focusing strongly on the odd firmware
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:52:42 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 05:44:42 PM »

Yes, you're perfectly correct. ;)

I have this complained through Ofcom which means it's being dealt with by BT's "Executive Level Technical Complaints", unfortunately they're not proving to be much better / knowledgeable than BT's offshore support. I have previously informed them of the roadside cabinets firmware change and my low upstream power levels, but they don't seem to (or want to) understand the significance and I expect to need to remind them of various aspects of the problem as the complaint progresses.

You wouldn't believe the arrogant attitude they gave when I first said I appear to be on the wrong product, 3 days later someone else phone with a apology saying yes I am on the wrong product and they will move me to the correct profile.
One small victory for common sense.  :D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 07:00:22 PM »

You probably talking to BT retail complaints , I think you should follow the advise to contact openreach directly

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 07:52:38 PM »

They did say they're from the chairman's office for what that's worth.  ::)
I don't expect much form BT or OR, they appear determined to duck any responsibility for the issue. My hope is that Ofcom will eventually force then to actually do something about this.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 08:08:56 PM »

An email to OpenReach CEO got my technical, obscure database issue resolved within a week or 2. I'd spent months trying through my ISP and OpenReach's standard customer support department with no luck. That would certainly be what I would try, and can't do any harm.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 09:09:23 PM »

j0hn nice find with that ECI firmware version, I must have missed that post, interesting there is still activity on ECI firmware, but not so good that it possibly is the cause of the US regression for the OP.

My recent experience in contacting openreach I would actually say has been positive, I get the impression they are as frustrated as us with lack of direct contact so will try to do what they can instead of saying something generic like "contact your CP".

They will probably appreciate the feedback regarding the dslam firmware change, so I advise again to try openreach directly.  Its very unlikely a direct resolution will result, but it could lead to them looking into it more even if they dont tell you that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:12:29 PM by Chrysalis »

anything