Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can the HG635 connect via PPPoE over WAN port?  (Read 4229 times)

Heyho

Can the HG635 connect via PPPoE over WAN port?
« on: December 10, 2016, 07:23:26 PM »

I have just subscribed to a local fixed wireless broadband service, which knocks the socks off of my previous sub 2mbps DSL.

The installation engineer fitted the receiver (which I'm guessing is also the modem?) unit to the back of my roof, which as far as I can see connects via ethernet to a small power supply unit (to power the receiver/modem) and then into a Belkin N150 surf.

The belkin doesn't appear to be the most robust of devices - I've had to power cycle it a couple of times, as the wireless network simply disappeared.  I was hoping to be able to use my HG635, which is just one of the many routers sent to me by TalkTalk on my old DSL connection, as I know the wireless range is good and it also offers me 4 gigabit ports.

My router/modem combination connects via PPPoE, and I was hoping to be able to use the HG635, however the help I have received has led me to believe that I cannot connect using this router via PPPoE over the WAN port, and that this is only possible using the DSL port/connection.  I have tried adding my details as supplied and enabling WAN only, however the setup page insists upon a domain as part of the username.

Apologies if any of my terminology is wrong.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Can the HG635 connect via PPPoE over WAN port?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 08:41:47 PM »

Essentially you are looking for either a modem/router which has an EWAN (Ethernet WAN) port or just a plain "cable" router.

As far as I can recall, the Huawei HG635 does not have an EWAN port. Hence your lack of success.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 09:23:04 PM »

The HG635 does have a WAN port. The red one.  You just have to configure it use that port.  It is possible that in its default mode it will do this automatically - when no PPPoe password is needed and the WAN is connected, it does that when used e.g. with another modem eg a HG612 on FTTC.  If it needs a password you can force that configuration via the setup.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 09:42:28 PM »

The HG635 does have a WAN port. The red one. 

Ah, so I am corrected. Thank you.  :)

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 10:01:25 PM »

The following are some screen shots from when I connected a HG635 via the red ewan to a modem.

ie A Plusnet Fibre PPPoE Connection

Heyho

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 10:10:57 PM »

It has a red WAN port, and a grey DSL port.

Obviously I need to use the WAN port, however my provider (a small local company) has told me that the HG635 won't do PPPoE over the WAN port, only the DSL port.

I have no reason to disbelieve them, but thought some of the members here may be able to shed more light as to why.  As stated above, I can configure it to use the WAN port and select PPP, but when entering my username and password, the page will not save because it demands a domain as part of my username - something my provider says they don't use or provide - which I can confirm by checking the details in my existing router.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 12:02:28 AM »

Login to hg635 click internet(top banner) >> Conection Mode (LHS) >> click operating mode ....WAN...then click save

Enter your pppoe username (I can't check at the moment) but probably internet (top banner) >>Internet connection (LHS) >> edit

Heyho

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 03:00:06 PM »

Login to hg635 click internet(top banner) >> Conection Mode (LHS) >> click operating mode ....WAN...then click save

Enter your pppoe username (I can't check at the moment) but probably internet (top banner) >>Internet connection (LHS) >> edit

This is exactly how I've been trying to do it.  Once my username and password is entered, I get a warning at the top of the page - Please enter username in correct format - eg username@domain.com, and I am unable to save the entered details. 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 03:20:40 PM »

This is exactly how I've been trying to do it.  Once my username and password is entered, I get a warning at the top of the page - Please enter username in correct format - eg username@domain.com, and I am unable to save the entered details.

It appears that TalkTalk have crippled the device.  :( 

If you could find a copy of the generic Huawei firmware image for the HG635 and install it, your problem would be solved.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 03:34:51 PM »

Please enter username in correct format - eg username@domain.com,

Is your username in this format??

It appears that TalkTalk have crippled the device

They may not have, I would have thought they would have given a more specific error eg username@talktalk.com, I seem to remember using my username@plus.com details (in the ADSL settings of the hg635)

Heyho

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 04:10:51 PM »

My username is my name (7 letters), followed by 6 numbers - in the format AbcdEfg123456, and my password is the same.

If I access the setup page of my existing router, I can confirm that this is exactly as it is entered.

I have just tried the older 1.04 open source firmware in the HG635, and it is the same, except the WAN connection is now labelled "Fibre".

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 04:45:22 PM »

Puzzling, it will certainly take non talktalk usernames but maybe it really does expect an @ somewhere. I never had reason to use a username which did not have the @something.   You could try your username with an @ at the end and see if the @ gets ignored in authentication.   If your now on 1.04 it would best to use the talktalk version with telnet closed.  The others tend to have trouble with telnet being open to the WAN.

anything