Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ebay or not to Ebay  (Read 12782 times)

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
Ebay or not to Ebay
« on: April 20, 2008, 01:52:22 PM »

Could someone tell me what the fascination of ebay is to some people. Most complaints are about paypal (which I know they own) and hidden postage charges, most of which appear to be a rip off, I work in a goods in/out department so  am familiar with charges.

I shop online, with no problems and have used Maplins, Dabs, and a few others without any problems and peace of mind that I'm not playing russian roulette with my money. Yet some people appear incapable of seeing any other option, is it an addiction.

Yorkie

Oh and Hi, there are some familiar names here, so I guess that tells you where I've been, but not exclusively, I put it about about. ;)

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: Ebay or not to Ebay
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 02:16:52 PM »

Hi Yorkie.

Welcome to the forum.

I used to use ebay but for electronic goods I think you are often better off buying from an online retailer. I guess there's the excitement factor with bidding on ebay, but as I'm not a gambler elsewhere I can live without it.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 02:45:36 PM »

Could someone tell me what the fascination of ebay is to some people.

Mostly or mainly people are looking to pick-up bargains.

I know of someone who regularly buys equipment sometimes worth thousands of pounds "and that's no exaggeration" and only pays maybe a couple of hundred pounds.

As for hidden postage charges, well that either is or used to be a bit of a scam that both people benefited from, because they would inflate the postage but keep the sale price down especially on "Buy Now" items.

A friend of mind very naively brought some pictures for .99p but did not look at the postage, which was £45.00 yes £45.00, because it was from the USA and being sent at their standard overseas rate.
Anyway, on agreement, she paid for the pictures (£3.96) and they agreed not to send them.  :lol:

(Although I must admit, I have never used it myself)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 03:25:05 PM »

I was for a while an avid ebay user, then there was a dispute about a 15p charge, for which they slapped on £5 default payment which I refused to pay, so they banned me.  That was about 5 years ago, and to be honest I haven't missed it, and with the horror stories I hear about rogue traders, I'm glad I don't bother with it.

I prefer to trade with a few tried and tested companies, or go to ones that have been recommended personally.  I tend to mostly use ebuyer, play.com, hmv.co.uk.  On a side note, one thing I found out with Currys, is if you order something online to pick up in-store you sometimes get the item cheaper than the in-store price... well worth remembering.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 03:37:11 PM »

one thing I found out with Currys, is if you order something online to pick up in-store you sometimes get the item cheaper than the in-store price... well worth remembering.
PC World also..

I even once used their own computer to order on-line whilst in the shop, had a look around then went back and collected the item and saved £15.00 (there can be some very helpful staff at PC World, regardless of some of the out-cries from people)

I know I said it on many occasions, but I like to shop local if possible, OK I may be paying slightly over the odds, but the "on-going" help and advice is well worth it.
(Not to mention the tea/coffee and biscuits)

Yorkie

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 03:56:15 PM »

"I even once used their own computer to order on-line whilst in the shop"

Now thats cheeky.

The reason I asked, well two really, I was talking to a collegue at work (20yr old male, are all 20yr males hyperactive?) and he said he had ebay blocked on his computer because he was becoming addicted to it, I think it was the auctions that he couldn't resist, I realise he could have been winding me up.

The other reason is a previous collegue sold computers on Ebay and lets just say he was economical with the truth. Most were built with reconditioned or gadged parts, tried to gadge my old W98 machine off me, on your bike mate, anyway he was in no position to give any kind of guarantee and during the 2yrs he worked for us he moved address 5 times, I kid you not.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 04:01:36 PM »

I have been buying stuff online for years,but never via ebay.There seems to be a'dark side' to it which to to me says 'wide berth'.But I'm not every one,so as they say 'each to his own.'I must admit that in all the years of buying online I have never had a bad experience.  :)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 04:15:48 PM »

Yep, and there's always http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/ to find the best deal for the product you want.

[and http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/ for DVD prices (duh!)]
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 09:33:53 PM »

I've bought a few things on ebay, mainly books hard to find elsewhere, and never had the slightest problem, I would never risk more than a few quid though

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 10:36:44 AM »

I wouldn't wish Paypal on my worst enemy and now that ebay are moving towards making that the ONLY payment method I won't touch them either.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 05:10:59 PM »

Hiyas Yorkie and welcome :)

As to ebay - Although I do purchase a fair bit of stuff online, I must admit I dont really use ebay that often.   In fact I normally get someone else to bid for me using his account  ;D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 10:13:44 PM »

lol... yeah you do :P

I like to think I've got a decent balance with Ebay... I do buy stuff on there... but generally only small items that are a genuine bargain, or things you really can't get in other places.

Things like phone chargers, that go for a couple of quid on ebay but are 2 or 3 times the price in shops. I usually only buy from Ebay "powersellers" who have a large turnover and close to 100% positive feedback - those that basically do their business by selling on Ebay. I did buy a spare car wheel when I totally crunched mine once!

Ebay's good for 'odds n sods' stuff, but I agree, a lot of people see it as the ONLY online shop, and it's those people who often get stung, because of their one-track fascination with it!
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 10:19:22 PM »

>> lol... yeah you do  :P

wonders how chris knew that  ;D

* kitz grins

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Yorkie

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 10:24:21 PM »

*cough*

er is there something I should know.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 10:28:14 PM »

lol - not really, just that I'm the "someone else" who's account kitz normally uses cuz she can't be bothered to set her own up :P :lol:
* mr_chris hides now
Chris
Pages: [1] 2