Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router on ECI cab  (Read 2246 times)

Sunzz

Router on ECI cab
« on: December 06, 2016, 06:24:21 AM »

So im thinking about replacing my plusnet hub one and/or bt home hub 5 (im trying both to see if i get better speed:P) with a better all in one VDSL router that can also track line stats. I think my line has some kind of problem that BT engineers cant find and its causing my low speed (40 down 1.8 up). Im confirmed to be on a 80/20 package as well, plus the adsl checker reckons i should be getting around 60-70 down 10-15 up.

The cabinet is ECI but im hoping to get a router to use DSLstats with, iv been looking at the ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D and the Billion 8800NL R2 as im kinda straped for cash right now(Christmas :P). could i have some advice please? im so lost here, or do i just buy a Huawei HG612 and unlock it etc?

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Router on ECI cab
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 08:22:41 AM »

some prefer seperates, others prefer all in one's. .

I prefer seperates so my choice for a device suitable for stats uploading would be in no order of preference.
HG612 3b (unlocked)
8800nl v1
Zyxel vmg8324
All of the above I would use in bridge mode so would need a router behind it. Plus you need a pc or pi (dslstats only)to actually run and upload the data for you.

You could consider zyxel vmg 8924 as an all in one which will upload stats and give you 5ghz wifi if you need it. Check ebay to see prices etc..

I am sure others will have suggestions.

Sunzz

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 02:00:42 PM »

some prefer seperates, others prefer all in one's. .

I prefer seperates so my choice for a device suitable for stats uploading would be in no order of preference.
HG612 3b (unlocked)
8800nl v1
Zyxel vmg8324
All of the above I would use in bridge mode so would need a router behind it. Plus you need a pc or pi (dslstats only)to actually run and upload the data for you.

You could consider zyxel vmg 8924 as an all in one which will upload stats and give you 5ghz wifi if you need it. Check ebay to see prices etc..

I am sure others will have suggestions.

Ok iv gone with ur input and purchased a HG612 off ebay :), il use that with my bthome hub for now so i can use dslstats and see how my connection is. is it that useful having more stats? for example it you track some kind of fault would BT actually listen?

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »

Well it can be helpful to show an engineer if you have an issue. I myself have an ongoing cabinet issue since march. Without the valuable data from hg612stats I would not have been able to clearly show some of the issues so I do think its a great tool. I also like the fact you can learn the characteristics of your line and after a while you can spot an issue whilst it develops...

More info on unlocking etc

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm#hg612_hacking

Sunzz

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 12:47:34 AM »

Well it can be helpful to show an engineer if you have an issue. I myself have an ongoing cabinet issue since march. Without the valuable data from hg612stats I would not have been able to clearly show some of the issues so I do think its a great tool. I also like the fact you can learn the characteristics of your line and after a while you can spot an issue whilst it develops...

More info on unlocking etc

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm#hg612_hacking

what cabinet issue did u have if i may ask? this is all quite interesting to me for some reason lol

anything