Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New member, new zen fttc issues ....  (Read 3844 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: New member, new zen fttc issues ....BT & Zen response
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 01:18:45 PM »

You'll see the quoted profile has a spec that is quite unbelievably wide where the downstream minimum is only 0.32% of the max and the upstream minimum is only 1.3% of the max!
Unless I'm missing something, this says they can supply whatever they like and still comply with the T&C's.  I can't see that this can be acceptable.

I was confused about those percentages until I realised you must be talking about the 0.128M-40M and 0.128M-10M profiles. The 0.128M is not your minimum acceptable speed or anything like that. Those are simply the standard uncapped profiles allowing the full range of speeds on 40/10 FTTC. They show that the DLM has not capped the speed.

Dar2211

Re: New member, new zen fttc issues ....
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 05:02:20 PM »

Yes ejs right I get it now. What happens if the DLM after the training period can't achieve greater than 0.128Mbps?
Sadly my upstream can't achieve more than 1.2Mbps vs Zens quoted of 2.2. Both my up & down rates fit with BT's description of an impacted line yet BT haven't said under what circumstances they would regard the line as defective & do something about it.
One Meg doesn't sound much of a difference but it would make a measurable difference when uploading a large file to my cloud service.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 05:46:15 PM »

It's nothing to do with the DLM, there's no training period, and if you can't manage to connect at 128k then you won't have any connection at all.

The specifications of a line are defined in BT SIN 349, if it doesn't meet those specifications, then they'd have to do something about it. When it comes to issues like not reaching the estimated speeds, there might not be anything much that they will do about it, so they just let people out of their contract.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »

Perhaps there's nothing reasonable they can do. The not switching cabinets is a hard rule. You're probably getting impacted speeds because of the Aluminium you mentioned. Replacing all that could be very expensive and time consuming. If your whole area has it then it wouldn't be fair just to replace your section. If the line meets the required spec, meets the speed estimates, and after emailing the CEO and everything being checked you got that response, they aren't likely to do any more.

It's just the nature of the technology unfortunately. Whatever small improvements they try to make you will still be 1.4km from the cabinet. Till they take the fibre deeper into the network or rearrange parts of it, they can't/won't do much else. 20/1 when compared with other parts of the country is probably above their target, and above any USO (I believe that's 10mb?).
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 [2]