Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TalkTalk retail upstream  (Read 1554 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
TalkTalk retail upstream
« on: December 03, 2016, 08:53:02 AM »

My TalkTalk-afflicted friend in England is enjoying ~50 kbps upstream according to various speed testers. Any clues why that might be?

Initial thoughts: I could ask her to check for mains very near the DSL line, or a dodgy microfilter. Some kind of TT CPE is in use, made by DLink.

The speed testers' reported upstream speed vs time graphs start off with a reported initial ~ 200 k for a very short period before wilting rapidly down to approx zilch. This is most likely merely a buffering artefact, so it seems to me.

Her next step would clearly be a swap out for some decent hardware, but that might mean some hassle with the landlord, who holds the required magic runes and is paying for the service.

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: TalkTalk retail upstream
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 09:33:59 AM »

You really need to check the DSL stats. The low speedtest result could be due to something else using up the bandwidth.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: TalkTalk retail upstream
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 07:27:28 PM »

The downstream is 1.3 Mbps, I am told. It's just the upstream that is really strange. At just over half the speed of one of my lines in Skye, the downstream isn't too outrageous, poor hardware and installation should explain things. But here in Skye I get 400 k upstream sync rate on my worst line, over 500 k on the best of the three. The effective upload throughput relative to the download  is so bad at this site in England though. My friend uses an iPad and speaks to Siri, the Apple voice command service. At some times of the day there's a near ten second delay before Siri shows visual voice input feedback after the audio is uploaded to Apple servers. So my TT Retail user is back to the dialup days nearly. (I used to get ~33 kbps upstream and 49 kbps downstream using dial-up, not counting the extremely powerful compression abilities of Demon using MPPC, back in those pre-2004 days.)

anything