Computers & Hardware > Networking

"To Build or To Not build your own NAS" - Xpenology vs Synology

<< < (2/7) > >>

Chunkers:

--- Quote from: Ronski on November 30, 2016, 03:54:32 PM ---I'm running my own server which I built,  which runs windows home server 2011, it currently has 4 x 3TB drives setup as a drive pool wit iimportant stuff duplicated. It's got room for another 6 drives, and if I bought another drive bay cage it could take a total of 15. But given the ever increasing capacity  of disks I doubt I'll ever need to.

It also runs Mediaportal TV  server, so does all our tv recording, as well as central file storage and cloud backup.

--- End quote ---
Snap! I also have a Mediaportal TV server,  but it runs Windows so I'll probably try to keep it separate.

Also thanks for the tip about the bogus drives @Chrysalis I didn't realise there are fake ones,  I'll get them from Scan to make sure they are proper ones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ronski:
@Chrysalis - great tip on checking the warranty/serial numbers, I bet his face was a picture and I hope you've reported him to Amazon. So far I've only used online retailers like CCL/Scan/Ebuyer for them - I also use the WD Red's. A good tip is not to buy your drives all at the same time, if there's a bad batch they could fail at similar times. I fairly regularly replace mine one at a time.

phi2008:

--- Quote from: Chunkers on November 30, 2016, 06:57:46 PM ---Cool, sounds great but,  erm,  I don't really  know what a Mellanox card is. Don't worry though,  I never allow a lack of research or background knowledge to get in the way of me trying to do stuff  😁

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

Cheap e.g. $15,  SFP+ cards you can get from eBay - so you could do a point-to-point 10Gb link(extra for cable+transceivers) for around $30+shipping(think you can get a dual port 10Gb SFP+ card for around $50 that you could probably(drivers?) stick in your NAS). Mellanox works with Windows, Linux, FreeBSD - but not OS X(I have a Solarflare dual port SFP+ card in my hackintosh which works fine- cost £40).

Writes to NAS under fibre approach the 10Gb limit because they go to RAM before being written, reads are slower because they're limited by disk speed.

Chunkers:

--- Quote from: phi2008 on November 30, 2016, 10:34:03 PM ---Cheap e.g. $15,  SFP+ cards you can get from eBay - so you could do a point-to-point 10Gb link(extra for cable+transceivers) for around $30+shipping(think you can get a dual port 10Gb SFP+ card for around $50 that you could probably(drivers?) stick in your NAS). Mellanox works with Windows, Linux, FreeBSD - but not OS X(I have a Solarflare dual port SFP+ card in my hackintosh which works fine- cost £40).

Writes to NAS under fibre approach the 10Gb limit because they go to RAM before being written, reads are slower because they're limited by disk speed.

--- End quote ---

Faster than Gb speeds is very cool, not sure i need this just yet but to be honest I didn't know what the options were for going faster and now I see it is Infiniband - thanks for the advice and info!

C

Chrysalis:

--- Quote from: Ronski on November 30, 2016, 09:13:50 PM ---@Chrysalis - great tip on checking the warranty/serial numbers, I bet his face was a picture and I hope you've reported him to Amazon. So far I've only used online retailers like CCL/Scan/Ebuyer for them - I also use the WD Red's. A good tip is not to buy your drives all at the same time, if there's a bad batch they could fail at similar times. I fairly regularly replace mine one at a time.

--- End quote ---

yeah.

I will post pics of the 2 drives later, and also of the warranty page screenshot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version