Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Upstream Issue after line maintenance: Updated  (Read 1483 times)

bofh5

• Just arrived
Upstream Issue after line maintenance: Updated
« on: November 28, 2016, 03:17:38 PM »

Hello All
I'm really hoping that someone can help shed light on this for me as its being driving me crazy for the last month.

I'm using a billion 8800 which i bought as it performs far better than the ISP equipment i've been supplied.
As i'm a long way from the cabinet every extra Kb i can get makes a difference.

Up until last month i was getting a reliable 22 meg down and 1.2 meg up.
Something happened which required an Openreach engineer to repair the line in one of the manholes under the road.

Since the "repair" my downstream has returned to the previous speed but the upstream hasn't.

Checking the stats and i can see that the upstream SNR has gone from around 6.9 to 16.3.
Attainable rate is    1129 Kbps. Actual is 797 Kbps.

Upstream G.INP has changed to 0.

I have to go through Sky to get to Openreach but they are totally useless and don't seem to understand what i'm asking.
As far as they are concerned its fine as its above their minimum figure.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed with getting this looked at?
As downstream is fine and its only the upstream affected is it likely a problem at the equipment end?

Edit: I'm signed up to mydslwebstats under the username of bofh5 and attached a couple of screenshots from dslstats which show the difference in attainable and actual rate.

Many thanks
J
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 11:30:10 AM by bofh5 »

bofh5

• Just arrived
Re: Upstream Issue after line maintenance: Updated
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 09:33:18 AM »

I checked the BT checker and they are showing the minimum Upstream Line Rate as 0.8 Mbps

As i'm now under that would it classed as a fault ?

I need a way of raising a support call with my ISP as they closed the previous one.

Thanks
J

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 04:30:07 PM »

They are low and high estimates, not minimums and maximums, and of course you could report a slow speed fault, but I think the GEA FTTC test results will probably show the upstream speed rounded up at 0.8 Mbps anyway.

There's nothing to guarantee your line will never get any worse, any physical changes to the line are almost certain to either increase or decrease the speed, but a slight decrease doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with whatever was done.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 10:16:46 PM »

Is the upstream sync always 797kbps? Perhaps the upstream has been banded. It's a little lower than I would expect for the attainable and snrm is high.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bofh5

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 09:17:37 AM »

Hi j0hn
Yes, unlike the downstream which fluctuates as the snrm changes it won't budge.
Previously the u/s snrm was between 6 and 7 so jumping to 16.3 seems like there is an issue somewhere.
Before the repair the actual and attainable were always very close.
I'll give sky and ring and see if i can persuade them to check the the u/s for banding.
Cheers
J

anything