Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Choosing a Combined VDSL2 Modem/Router  (Read 2559 times)

Sor

• Just arrived
Choosing a Combined VDSL2 Modem/Router
« on: November 25, 2016, 06:48:51 PM »

Newbie question!

Am looking to get a combined modem/router.  Am with plusnet fibre.

Is it better to buy one that has the same brand chip inside as the cabinet?
So, from what I can tell from the interweb, my cabinet is a Huawei so that'll mean a broadcom chip.  So should I be looking at a modem/router using a broadcom?
So maybe a netgear D7000 but not the D7800, for example?

Or is that the least of my problems in deciding on a modem/router?!

(I'm glad I found this forum, 'cause I wasn't finding any particularly helpful info elsewhere and was going to have to troll the manufacturer sites to find out what models are combined modem/routers.  Now I can just look through the pinned post :-) )

Ta.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 06:59:39 PM by Sor »

michty_me

• Reg Member
Re: Choosing a Combined VDSL2 Modem/Router
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 07:53:03 PM »

The D7000 works well and is broadcom choose. The D7800 is not. I cannot remember which chip it uses.

Sor

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 07:58:49 PM »

So the D7000 would be a good choice..... Amazon currently has it at £120 which is perhaps another reason for my thinking about it.  The D7800 is £245 and if I'm being honest with myself, is overkill in what it does and how much it costs!  Dunno if Amazon are doing a CyberMonday this year, as in whether any other modem/routers will be reduced on then.

Nothing else I should consider?  Or just go for it ;-)

Ta for your reply.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 08:51:03 PM »

To be totally honest, After I got rid of my Asus and setup the Netgear D7000, I haven't even bothered keeping up to date with the latest all in one boxes out there. I guess all have their own flaws etc. I've been using the D7000 for nearly a year and a half now. Not had one issue with it. More things keep getting added in firmware updates and it seems to give me the best from my line even surpassing the sync speeds on the BT Huawei HG 612 modem. Only slightly though.

Amazon have a good returns policy so if it doesn't work out for you then just return it.

Sor

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 08:59:42 PM »

Thank you.

I have now purchased the D7000 and await it's arrival :-)

Just need to book myself into my diary for Saturday or Sunday next weekend to get it setup and to have a play.  (yes, I know, it shouldn't take me that long to set up, but it's more a case of telling everyone else I'm having a techie day and they will have to cope without me!  That'll be the difficult bit!)

Thanks again for your replies.  I've been having a bit of a dry moment with all my techie friends so it's sort of just nice to have someone 'agree' with me.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 09:52:08 PM »

No problem at all. I can't see you having any issues. Another perk of it being broadcom based is that you can run DSL stats to monitor your line stats etc. Maybe you already knew that though.

Damianiw

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 09:53:57 AM »

Hi

Ive found this thread very interesting an useful, I have identified i have an eci cab, I was supplied with an eci open reach modem then later a home hub 5.

I left bt and am now with plusnet, no issues until last hh5 firmware and now want to smash it to pieces as it reboots daily.

What vdsl combined modems would be best for ECI, I hate the lack of stats on my setup, i thought about going back to the open reach eci modem but that has same issue

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »

Maybe worse creating a seperate thread than clogging this one up. You could possibly have a fault on your line. You will need to have a look at the stats to know for sure though.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 01:43:58 PM »

Despite having an ECI cab also, I find Broadcom chipsets perform best on my line. In my opinion matching modem/DSLAM chipset isn't important. Quite a few others on here also find Broadcom chipsets best with their ECI cab. The benefit of being able to monitor the line with DslStats too, means I will likely always use a Broadcom based modem.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Damianiw

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 03:06:30 PM »

Thanks for both replies, I've looked at the logs and there's people reporting the issue on the BT forum, it seems the router for sure - although to be honest even if it isn't I'd like to replace it as it's just horrid.

I'm keen for stats so Broadcom based seems way to go.

I got quite confused with some of the terms mentioned, am I correct in thinking g.inp is essential and g.fast is quite some way off, I'd like to buy one that'll last a few years :-)

Currently get a 66/18 connection

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 06:55:19 PM »

You have an ECI cabinet, which currently doesn't support G.INP. A rollout of this is estimated around April. However OpenReach abandoned their 1st attempted rollout of G.INP on ECI cabinets. Currently only Huawei cabinets support G.INP.

G.Fast is not retailing yet. No current modem will become G.Fast compatible. You could wait a while and in time when they are released you could buy 1 and it would also work with your fibre.

a mod may want to split the last few posts to their own thread
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 06:58:02 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything