Computers & Hardware > Networking

Ronski's Pfsense router build

<< < (2/56) > >>

skyeci:
Serial interface on the apu2 works fine and you only need it on the first install, but handy of course in case something totally fails. I used a £9 cable from amazon. Usb stick serial install etc..
Never seen the cpu more than 23% so far on the odd chance  it actually gets any stress  ;D

d2d4j:
Hi

I hope you do not mind, but as we use pfsense along with other firewalls/systems I thought I would show you some stats from 1 of our installations (certain details have been deleted) as below

Many thanks

John

This Month (to date, does not include this hour, starting at day 01):

Bandwidth

In 329490 MBytes
Out 4146200 MBytes
Total 4475690 MBytes

Last Month:

Bandwidth

In 424860 MBytes
Out 5274777 MBytes
Total 5699637 MBytes

Ronski:
@Chrysalis I will certainly follow your advice. Hopefully everything will arrive OK, and be OK, always a possibility something may be iffy on these lower than the norm priced items.

I will also do some benchmark tests but you'll have to explain how.

The trouble I've found with Linux, from my Android experience and what my brother says is that it might as well be written in Chinese (commands and string just seem to be random characters), and what people have often written on forums assumes the reader knows what they are on about.

Memory should be here tomorrow, but the PC is estimated to arrive on 9 December, still gives me plenty of time to watch the rest of those videos and read up and get stuff ready.

I'm not planning on putting a wireless card in it, I may just rely on my AC AP which is in the loft or get another AP for downstairs if coverage is not good enough, at the moment my modem/router also has wi-fi so coverage is good.

Ronski:
The memory arrived Monday,  and the Qotom PC arrived this morning. It was shipped from the Netherlands so no import duty.it looks good and feels solid, and even has a uk power cable.

I'll post some pictures as things progress.

Ronski:
@Chrysalis I have PFsense installed and I'm looking at the options screen, the one with options 1 to 16.

--- Quote from: Chrysalis on November 25, 2016, 05:26:26 AM ---ok some information for those using pfsense with an ssd.

The pfsense devs are using an old way to configure partitions, in short they -

dont enable trim
dont align partitions to 4k alignment
and they also enable SUJ which I think is best disabled on an ssd.

to fix the alignment follow this guide https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=86139.0
if you try to do it all manually pfsense will rewrite the partitions, but I have confirmed the above guide does lead to a 4k aligned partition.
--- End quote ---

Now this is what I mean about it might as well be in Chinese, you say follow the guide, but all the link basically says is to run a couple of commands, it doesn't say when or where?
Actually it says he did that before using advanced install, which would make sense but not where or how?

Could you perhaps give some clearer instructions for a complete noob to this please and the following, assume I know nothing  :)

--- Quote ---The commands to enable trime and disable soft updates journaling are.  (assuming the ssd is on ada0, which it will be if its the only sata device)

--- Code: ---tunefs -t enable /dev/adas0p1
tunefs -j disable /dev/adas0p1

--- End code ---

Less important is to have the swap on a swapfile not partition as the partition wont utilise trim, but I think its unlikely a pfsense box with at least 4 gig of ram will even use the swap.

bottom of this page is a couple of commands to make the swapfile http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/ssd.html

so

--- Code: ---mkdir /usr/swap
--- End code ---
(although can be put anywhere you like)

--- Code: ---dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/swap/swap bs=128k count=16384
--- End code ---
(2 gig swap)

add these 2 lines to /etc/fstab

--- Code: ---# Device        Mountpoint      FStype  Options                         Dump    Pass#
md99            none            swap    sw,file=/usr/swap/swap,late     0       0

--- End code ---

then after run
--- Code: ---swapon -aL
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

I will post those pics at some point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version