Computers & Hardware > Networking

Ronski's Pfsense router build

<< < (55/56) > >>

Chrysalis:
I have a second unit now.

The first unit, has no hardware p-state support, and I also discovered wont reliably wake from sleep state (S3).  If I use hibernate, it also wont wake up, but then after a power cycle it will boot the hibernated state.
The second unit has hardware p-states and sleep works fine.

I found this link from intel alongside dozens of sleep complaints.

Although this is for different hardware, I suspect its a bios issue on the first unit.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057914/intel-nuc.html

First will be used with pfSense and will use software p-states for power management, as its always on, sleep doesnt matter.  Second will be Windows use to replace my laptop.

Ronski:
I'm having an issue with OpenVPN

My brother got an error along the lines of "Connection failed - you are using insecure hash algorithm in ca signature. Please regenerate CA with other hash algorithm"

I wasn't experiencing this error, but it turned out I had Legacy turned on in the advanced settings in my client.

So after some Googling I found I needed to change Auth digest algorithm setting to SHA256, as it was SHA1, I changed this, renewed all the certificates, exported the client config and imported on my phone, but it then never connects.

Change back to SHA1 without altering anything else and it connects.

Any ideas what I'm missing please?

PS. All certificates show they are Signature Digest: RSA-SHA256

Chrysalis:
I dont mind trying to help, but it probably involves enabling more verbose logs, and once we go down that road it might be better dealt with in DM or something.

Chrysalis:
Been working on my first unit, and discovered it has i/o instability, but I am unable to trigger the problem on demand which is really frustrating, likely either RAM or storage, both of which I took as inclusive (my previous NUC's I ordered barebones and used known brands for storage and RAM).

The unit has a internal mPCIE which is pin compatible with mSATA however installing a mSATA drive confirms its not connected to the onboard SATA controller.  It has a normal SATA port for standard SATA drives and 2 NVME, one for 2230 and another for 2280.

I got no LPDDR5 or NVME lying around, memory tests come up with nothing, extended SMART tests clean on the storage and has clean SMART stats, file system checks however fix corruption on the drive.  The BIOS is the most thread bare BIOS I have ever seen in a NUC, its like a laptop BIOS.

So will chance it and buy a 2230 NVME, as that will work in either NVME slot, so if the NVME slot is duff, it can get round that, or if its the existing NVME it will solve the issue.

Luckily the other NUC I brought bare (after realising the included components were only saving £30).

Also the speaker is soldered directly on to board with no jumper to disable it, there is jumpers to control always on behaviour, pin 1 isnt labelled, so those I will tinker with later as I am curious if will fix the shutdown/sleep issues.

Alex Atkin UK:
Ironically all my boxes bought inclusive work fine, its the one box I bought bare bones that has problems.

It will just randomly lockup, from several times a day to running solid on Folding@Home for months (makes an nice hand warmer), its bizarre.  I'm reasonably sure the RAM is fine (pretty sure I ran memtest for a day to check), although its hard to tell given these closed boxes are going to make the RAM run hot.

I even re applied the paste which dramatically brought the temps down, but it still happens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version