Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: Ronski's Pfsense router build  (Read 66165 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Ronski's Pfsense router build
« Reply #270 on: February 10, 2024, 02:58:16 AM »

I have a second unit now.

The first unit, has no hardware p-state support, and I also discovered wont reliably wake from sleep state (S3).  If I use hibernate, it also wont wake up, but then after a power cycle it will boot the hibernated state.
The second unit has hardware p-states and sleep works fine.

I found this link from intel alongside dozens of sleep complaints.

Although this is for different hardware, I suspect its a bios issue on the first unit.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057914/intel-nuc.html

First will be used with pfSense and will use software p-states for power management, as its always on, sleep doesnt matter.  Second will be Windows use to replace my laptop.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 03:00:37 AM by Chrysalis »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #271 on: April 13, 2024, 11:54:46 PM »

I'm having an issue with OpenVPN

My brother got an error along the lines of "Connection failed - you are using insecure hash algorithm in ca signature. Please regenerate CA with other hash algorithm"

I wasn't experiencing this error, but it turned out I had Legacy turned on in the advanced settings in my client.

So after some Googling I found I needed to change Auth digest algorithm setting to SHA256, as it was SHA1, I changed this, renewed all the certificates, exported the client config and imported on my phone, but it then never connects.

Change back to SHA1 without altering anything else and it connects.

Any ideas what I'm missing please?

PS. All certificates show they are Signature Digest: RSA-SHA256
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 11:58:12 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #272 on: April 16, 2024, 04:46:50 PM »

I dont mind trying to help, but it probably involves enabling more verbose logs, and once we go down that road it might be better dealt with in DM or something.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #273 on: April 24, 2024, 05:41:18 PM »

Been working on my first unit, and discovered it has i/o instability, but I am unable to trigger the problem on demand which is really frustrating, likely either RAM or storage, both of which I took as inclusive (my previous NUC's I ordered barebones and used known brands for storage and RAM).

The unit has a internal mPCIE which is pin compatible with mSATA however installing a mSATA drive confirms its not connected to the onboard SATA controller.  It has a normal SATA port for standard SATA drives and 2 NVME, one for 2230 and another for 2280.

I got no LPDDR5 or NVME lying around, memory tests come up with nothing, extended SMART tests clean on the storage and has clean SMART stats, file system checks however fix corruption on the drive.  The BIOS is the most thread bare BIOS I have ever seen in a NUC, its like a laptop BIOS.

So will chance it and buy a 2230 NVME, as that will work in either NVME slot, so if the NVME slot is duff, it can get round that, or if its the existing NVME it will solve the issue.

Luckily the other NUC I brought bare (after realising the included components were only saving £30).

Also the speaker is soldered directly on to board with no jumper to disable it, there is jumpers to control always on behaviour, pin 1 isnt labelled, so those I will tinker with later as I am curious if will fix the shutdown/sleep issues.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 05:44:19 PM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #274 on: April 24, 2024, 08:46:08 PM »

Ironically all my boxes bought inclusive work fine, its the one box I bought bare bones that has problems.

It will just randomly lockup, from several times a day to running solid on Folding@Home for months (makes an nice hand warmer), its bizarre.  I'm reasonably sure the RAM is fine (pretty sure I ran memtest for a day to check), although its hard to tell given these closed boxes are going to make the RAM run hot.

I even re applied the paste which dramatically brought the temps down, but it still happens.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #275 on: April 25, 2024, 01:40:10 PM »

Thought the unit was dead, but got a really quick support reply, flipped battery out and back and its alive again.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 02:29:10 PM by Chrysalis »

EC300

« Reply #276 on: April 25, 2024, 02:22:43 PM »

Ironically all my boxes bought inclusive work fine, its the one box I bought bare bones that has problems.

It will just randomly lockup, from several times a day to running solid on Folding@Home for months (makes an nice hand warmer), its bizarre.  I'm reasonably sure the RAM is fine (pretty sure I ran memtest for a day to check), although its hard to tell given these closed boxes are going to make the RAM run hot.

I even re applied the paste which dramatically brought the temps down, but it still happens.

Could be static damage during installing which typically results in strange random errors.  Did you wear a grounded wrist strap?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #277 on: April 25, 2024, 03:34:47 PM »

re.....Could be static damage during installing which typically results in strange random errors.  Did you wear a grounded wrist strap?

All my working years in electronics I never used a wrist strap or did anyone else.  :o
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #278 on: April 25, 2024, 03:50:36 PM »

Neither have I, I simply touch something that is earthed, or if it has a built in power supply I plug the PC in but switch it off at the wall and the power supply, then the case is nicely earthed.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #279 on: April 25, 2024, 09:44:46 PM »

Yeah its pretty unlikely.  My understanding is grounding is ideal, but any large metal surface will dissipate the charge too.  I'm not a nut case like so many YouTubers, grabbing the RAM sticks by the connection pads (which is bad as skin oils can mess up the connection too).  Its the heatsink or the edges of the PCB.

In drier weather I will get a shock off none-grounded surfaces quite often, but being Yorkshire humidity is almost always 50-60% so this is rare.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]