Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Investigatory Powers Bill is coming in to law.. Big Brother is here.  (Read 11817 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

I haven't seen this posted in the news section.. so thought I'd post.

Here is some other sources though.

Everyone who can now see your entire internet history, including the taxman, DWP and Food Standards Agency

Organisations including the Food Standards Agency and the Department for Work and Pensions will be able to see UK citizen's entire internet browsing history in weeks.

The Investigatory Powers Bill, which was all but passed into law this week, forces internet providers to keep a full list of Internet Connection Records (ICRs) for a year, and make them available to the government if it asks. Those ICRs effectively serve as a full list of every website that people have visited, not collecting which specific pages are visited or what's done on them but serving as a full list of every site that someone has visited and when.

Snooper's Charter is set to become law: how the Investigatory Powers Bill will affect you

After more than 12 months of debate, jostling and a healthy dose of criticism, the United Kingdom's new surveillance regime is set to become law.

Both the House of Lords and House of Commons have now passed the Investigatory Powers Bill – the biggest overhaul of surveillance powers for more than a decade.

Now the bill has been passed by both of these official bodies, it is almost law. Before it officially is adopted, however, it will need to receive Royal Assent, which is likely to be given before the end of 2016 (to match the government's intentions and ahead of existing surveillance laws expiring).

'Extreme surveillance' becomes UK law with barely a whimper

A bill giving the UK intelligence agencies and police the most sweeping surveillance powers in the western world has passed into law with barely a whimper, meeting only token resistance over the past 12 months from inside parliament and barely any from outside.

The Investigatory Powers Act, passed on Thursday, legalises a whole range of tools for snooping and hacking by the security services unmatched by any other country in western Europe or even the US.

British politicians sign off on surveillance law, now it's over to the Queen

The UK's Investigatory Powers Bill has completed its passage through parliament and now only awaits Her Majesty's stamp of approval before becoming law.

Also known as the Snoopers' Charter, the legislation has been criticised as being among the most onerous in the world upon the civilian population, and will require British ISPs to retain a curtailed form of their customers' internet browsing histories – including what websites they had visited – for 12 months so that various authorities could request it for investigative purposes.

Additional powers are legislated for, including offensive hacking, despite concerns about the State finding an appropriate balance between creating and patching exploits, and the collection of bulk personal data by government spies for the sake of running enormous queries on surveillance data sets.

I also think its attached to this bill when this becomes law too;

UK Government Confirm Move to Force ISPs into Blocking “Adult” Sites

As expected the Government has officially announced that Mobile and fixed line broadband providers in the United Kingdom will soon be forced into the mandatory blocking of all “adult” websites; specifically those that fail to offer an adequate method of age-verification for their visitors.

The new approach, which was first hinted at last month after Claire Perry MP tabled several directly related amendments (here), will be officially introduced as part of a change to the forthcoming Digital Economy Bill 2016-17.

However the idea itself has been on the table since last year, which is partly because the Government need a solution to help stop the EU’s new Net Neutrality rules from effectively banning network-level blocking systems; these are used by ISPs to censor websites, both voluntarily or following a court-order.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Investigatory Powers Bill is coming in to law.. Big Brother is here.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 02:08:16 PM »

Time to fire up the VPN and DNScrypt

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 02:34:58 PM »

Indeed.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 03:05:15 PM »

Big brother indeed. All they will do is force those who need to bypass this to do what has already been suggested, that is if they dont already so, all they will get it loads of useless information. Anyone who needs to perform illegal activity will not be stopped.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 03:44:13 PM »

I thought most big ISPs already kept records of all the IP addresses accessed by each account anyway, and an Internet Connection Record sounds basically the same as an IP address.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »

Exactly.

I can only think this is aimed at people who use social media or some other platforms were they are typing comments. A website address e.g. to facebook could indicate the person has an account there.

I wonder what procedures are in place to stop the abuse of these powers.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 06:33:46 PM »

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/investigatory-powers-bill
Just glancing through it seems Joe Smith has little or nothing to fear, so unless any of you are named Isil Ali Daesh, are president of Kiddifidler United F.C, or something equally undesirable just get on with life.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 09:40:11 PM »

Does seem to be an awful lot of nonsense being reported.

It's not about revealing your search history, that's already collected and stored by search engines such as Google, who will provide it not just to law enforcement and government upon request, but also - I strongly suspect - to commercial organisations willing to pay for it.

It's not about revealing the IP addresses that visit illegal websites, that is already available by confiscating the servers and looking at the logs.

What it does seem to facilitate is, if you have an ISP that a allocates dynamic IPs, they will be able to resolve exactly who had the 'suspect' IP at the moment of interest.   If you have a static IP, I really don't see it'll make much odds at all.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 10:32:02 PM »

The weird part is the authority's only start checking into your web history after you have committed the crime so why close the gate after the horse has bolted.

Typing things into Google won't activate the snooping switch but the authority's are very good at building up a potential profile threat on extremist users which is good.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:48:42 PM by NewtronStar »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 11:05:12 PM »

I think "shutting the door after the horse has bolted" may misunderstand the usefulness of looking back over a suspect's or convict's communications. As in the case of Meir, Jo Cox's murderer, surely it can be useful to help weed out his contacts for review. Antecedents!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 12:31:02 AM »

dnscrypt usage soon to explode then.

Time to start a vpn business also?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 02:45:25 PM »

Just glancing through it seems Joe Smith has little or nothing to fear, so unless any of you are named Isil Ali Daesh, are president of Kiddifidler United F.C, or something equally undesirable just get on with life.

Of course the problem is that what's 'undesirable' changes.

So given that, no, I will not just get on with life. This bill is state surveillance of an unprecedented level in a democracy. We already had more CCTV cameras per head than anywhere else besides China, we now have Internet surveillance akin to theirs.

You're aware that the next plan is putting barriers in place to certain content. Then of course will come barriers to more content, as the government of the day considers it inappropriate.

You may be fine with losing your liberty one step at a time and ignoring it until it's too late and you're living in a full-on Orwellian authoritarian surveillance state - I'm not. We have and continue to take huge steps towards that which is beyond alarming.

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 05:22:38 PM »

I agree that governments should not attempt to censure internet content.

I don't mind who sees what sites I visit, in the same way I have no objection to the bobby on the beat and traffic police (though admittedly these are rare species).

Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 06:42:35 PM »

Am I the only person who thought all the big ISPs were already doing all the IP address logging? Were they doing it, but weren't actually required to do it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4