Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Virgin Media's parent commits to gigabit by 2018  (Read 7532 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Virgin Media's parent commits to gigabit by 2018
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 06:41:52 AM »

Forums are always a bad guide, people only go on them to complain :)

I was thinking more specifically what we see on here regarding line faults, banding , interleaving, crosstalk, rein, all everyday faults/effects which do occur. Anybody who syncs at less than there package maximum is affected by the limitations of fttc, whether it causes them any problems is of course a different matter.

@Chrysalis, yes he could, but given the time it would take he may well have retired before BT had to think about redundancy, they would of course stop taking on and training new engineers as demand dropped, so that coupled with people naturally leaving may be enough. I suppose it depends how quick it could happen, but of course all this is hypothetical.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 07:25:36 AM »

Ha ha ........... nice to see my 'virtual nemesis pals' have my best wishes at heart.  ;) ;) .......... I'm sure.

If the old rules were still in force, I'd have gone at the beginning of this year, and living my life to its fullest. As it is ..... I've another 4+yrs to go. Counting the days down ..........

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 10:23:23 AM »

This got somewhat personal and a lot off-topic.

Worth remembering most of the homes VM will be delivering a gigabit to in 2017/18 won't be on full fibre, and BT could delivery a gigabit over a hybrid network if they were to push fibre deeper. Deploying telco over such deep fibre also would largely eliminate faults. The biggest obstacle to such a process is LLU, so worth directing anger towards those guys. Openreach seem to actually want to move customers onto a hybrid solution.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 10:30:51 AM »

is one reason why I posted on TTB I think adsl needs to be retired, it hinders VDSL (making power cutback required) and also is clearly a obstacle for progress due to the LLU adsl services.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 01:22:27 PM »

As I've recently come to understand LLU has caused a lot of problems, so how do you convince  OFCOM to do away with it?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 03:28:52 PM »

Only just spotted this.   I think its good that there is progression and at least someone is trying to do something.
Virgin are expanding, but in my personal opinion they are less likely than BT to provide any sort of solution to the more rural areas.

I must admit I liked the video :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 05:04:12 PM »

The rural areas are fine, the state of rural broadband in the UK is pretty much the best in the world.  Its urban areas that need progress.

Of course before anyone steps in to say people like weaver are stuck on adsl, we have to be reasonable here and its unrealistic to expect remote locations to have superfast wired broadband.

I sort of compare this situation to what amd vs intel is like. Nearly everyone buys intel now days but they all still want amd to progress simply to make intel provide better upgrades, so I am applying the same motto to the VM investment in that I have no interest in VM but it is good because it will make BT react in some way.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 11:19:27 PM »

Sorry to disappoint but from what I can ascertain BT could scarcely care less. They have been dragged kicking and screaming into deploying G.fast via existing cabinets with some FTTP in business parks and main streets, there is next to no chance of them reacting to this.

Virgin Media could release 10Gb tomorrow and BT's only reaction would be PR. They are, sadly, far too tied up in arguments with Ofcom over governance and with LLUO's over copper delivery and repair.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 02:45:14 AM »

>>> They are, sadly, far too tied up in arguments with Ofcom over governance and with LLUO's over copper delivery and repair.

and just how much of that time, effort and money could have been put to better use  ::)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 12:33:25 PM »

kitz are you suggesting BT would be spending more on openreach if there was no pressure on them? I actually think the opposite.  Perhaps the shareholders may have got bigger dividends or the pension pot may have got a topup but it wouldnt have gone into the local loop I think.

The g.fast seems to have been announced purely as a means to try and stave off ofcom action on the proposed split.  BT seemed to have under estimated ofcom amongst others in what was required to give satisfaction of adequate investment.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 05:26:47 PM »

If the old rules were still in force, I'd have gone at the beginning of this year, and living my life to its fullest. As it is ..... I've another 4+yrs to go. Counting the days down ..........

I would be happy to contribute to your retirement if it meant Openreach / BT would stop focusing on the copper network and were taking deeper fibre seriously. It is absurd that they are hiring additional engineers to work on the copper network when they should be in negotiations with Ofcom to retire the e-sides. I have no idea why they are so happy to urinate money away on operational expenditure but are so anal about capital expenditure.

G.fast from cabinets / existing nodes extracts the urine. A pure box ticking exercise that will accomplish absolutely nothing in the longer term.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2016, 05:36:51 PM »

No ..... that's just your misconstrued thoughts on the subject.

Understood. I would welcome your input on why my FTTC line delivers about 62Mb throughput and this is considered exceptional for my distance from the node.

Seems to me my service is impacted by distance from the node.

To make it worse if the 1Gb option were available to me I would quite happily take it. I don't pay for my broadband and the tax bill on it I can claim relief for. Just to add to the fun it would be a pretty cheap deployment as the DP is fully ducted with swept tees.

I was quoted a mere couple of grand per premises if I pursue the community funded route, which seems a bit strange given Virgin Media reckon it'll cost about 800 quid to deliver cable to me including all civils through a bunch of block paving, and a 'third party' quoted about 300 quid per premises to deliver FTTP via PIA.

Your employer is in no way prepared to overbuild FTTC with FTTP as they need to sweat the FTTC investment to get some returns from it. A real bummer when you look at areas like this one where the FTTC investment is paying for itself pretty rapidly and compare them to a whole bunch of areas that received FTTC pretty early in the rollout and haven't sold much.

This one commercially unviable cabinet has filled a Huawei 288 and is on the 5th card of a second Huawei 288. The first Huawei is probably paid for with the second, much cheaper installation not far off breaking even at all.

If you could offer me some insight as to why my community are subsidising all of these commercially viable areas that Openreach deployed FTTC to before us that'd be awesome, alongside why a bunch of high streets and business parks that weren't considered worth a couple of hundred quid per premises for FTTC are worthy of way more for FTTP while we are not.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 05:39:05 PM by Ignitionnet »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2016, 06:00:12 PM »

Hi Ignitionnet.

I take your point/s, you always (well nearly always  ;)) put up a fair argument.

But if I'm being honest, I only really comment on this kind of stuff through devilment most of the time. I truly and genuinely have become increasingly bored with the comms industry and all the cr5p that goes with it.

From willy-waving and Ofcom (or SKY & TT as they are now known  :)), to the constant pressure at work for more, more, more ...................... it's simply a necessary evil for me right now. I have a great life, and this stuff just gets in the way of it a lot of the time.  :)   

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2016, 07:03:16 PM »

Couldn't agree with you more but it's what pays my bills  :)

You're in a rather counter-intuitive situation. What is 'more, more, more' to you isn't obviously that to punters. In your case it's fixing faults more quickly, doing installs more quickly, nothing that actually appears to be a big deal as far as 'progress' goes.

I don't envy you, and thank you for your candour in your posts here.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2016, 09:52:01 PM »

kitz are you suggesting BT would be spending more on openreach if there was no pressure on them?

Note the roll eyes icon.   I dont have a clue where they would spend it.  Nor do you know that it would go into shares or pension pot.
I just said its time,  money and resources that could be better spent elsewhere. 
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything