Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dody IP Profile  (Read 9724 times)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Dody IP Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 04:32:42 PM »

I know, I was responding to Drefsab - I got what James meant in his comment ;)
Chris

J.Man

• Reg Member
  • When PC's couldnt get any worse there came Vista
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 06:21:24 PM »

Hey all again,
                     Just bought a new PC but just to find my dodgy ip profile problems are back :( . My current IP Profile is 135k and I have tried power cycling the router and DMT but nothing is working my Line stats are still very good:

DSL Connection 

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:07:19

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,072

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/MB]: 341.00 / 2.63

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.0 / 26.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 15.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 6 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 20

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1 

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 06:51:15 PM »

Leave the router connected, and the IP profile should recover quite soon. Re-booting the router won't make any difference unless something has caused it to sync at a low speed.

Your low IP profile must be the result of an earlier low-speed resync, so keep an eye on the stats to see if it happens again. If it does, then further investigation will be needed.
  Eric

J.Man

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 06:56:55 PM »

Thanks I got fairly worried that I would have to get on the old telecommunications device ( telephone ) to British Telecoms aka BT aka The ISP :D

J.Man

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 08:42:47 PM »

well its been about 5days but no change IP Profile is still on 135k :(

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 11:21:30 AM »

Oh dear... if you've definitely been synced for 5 days solid, then try a reboot of the router. If that still doesn't spur it into life within a couple of hours then I guess it's time to contact your ISP to tell them your IP profile is stuck.
Chris

J.Man

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 12:02:58 PM »

well i contactedd bt and an engineeris coming round on tuesday so fingers crossed

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 01:14:51 PM »

Fingers crossed indeed. But it never ceases to amaze me why ISPs will book an engineer's visit for this. It's simply not necessary, as they should be perfectly capable of sorting this out with BT wholesale without you being involved at all.

Hopefully it will get sorted either way :)
Chris

J.Man

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »

Thanks Mr Chris. Is it possible that loads of changes in sync speed could have caused this as within 1hour my sync speed has varied between  5888kbps to 8089kbps could this be the cause

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 01:14:25 PM »

such a variation of sync speeds is a bit fishy. The fact your getting 135k (or the same would run true if you had something in the reigon of 258k) means that you're "thottled back":

this would have been caused by some severe snr issues. If this is worse than a typical snr issue which causes the speed to be reduced as is normaly the case then you can get a throttle back.

So although you actualy get what seems a respectible sync to the exchange the data is restricted to either 1/10 or 1/4 meg so you maintain some sort of connection instead of dropping sync.

sounds as if an engineers visit is definately required, a throttle back will only go if you get consistantly good stats. or sometimes a manual intaervention via bt wholesale.

I worked on a fault on friday, found a very corroded block terminal and star wiring. as soon as this was sorted the speed went from 1/4 to 2.2 mb

J.Man

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 07:41:27 PM »

To be honest when i look inside the phone box all i see is a test socket and a big white wire leading into the wall but the SNr problem sounds like a reasonable explanation as my downstream SNR varies wildly at one point yesterday the homehub reported a SNr Margin of -0.5 (number rounder to nearest one decimal place). So maybe BT were right in sending an engineer

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2008, 09:27:39 PM »

With that snr reading, that certainly explains the spurois snr and the throttle back. you need someone on site to see any obvious causes.

It also goes to show how some comment on this site which states "I'm getting this speed so if my IP profile was this so why ot interveen and up it manualy".

Something has caused your service to slow down for good reason. Unless this is identified and eliminated first then you'll be back to slow square one again in no time. Your dsl gets slowed down for a sound logical reason.

An ISP wants you to be on the fastest possible dsl speed as possible: Why- because your happy, and the status quo means your customer stays with you earning you revenue. Also you turn around to your customer and say "we've got this new service would you like it ?" your more likely to say yes. so you've got something new/better and they have more revenue.

Your variation in snr and sync leads to the fact you have an issue which has to be identified before anything else is adjusted on the line.

J.Man

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2008, 09:47:26 PM »

Is that why I used to be restricted to 500k due to severe line probs. Oh by the way I used to be Broadband1 on this forum but I lost my password. So BT are getting the engineer round for a reason then and I thought it was a waste of time on BT's part and on my end and I've been proven wrong.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2008, 11:11:30 PM »

Sorry I cant remember if this was suggested before... or if you did... try Routerstats to record your sync speed and SNR over a period of time?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

J.Man

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »

Hey all,
          I just got back from work to find out that the DSL Monitoring I set for DMT to do came up with some good results I hope

In 36 hours the following happened:
I lost sync twice.
My sync speed almost doubled from 4.8Mbps to 8.089Mbps
My SNR has varied by just 0.5db

I would post a screenshot but my screenies go over the 200k attatchment limit.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 03:48:32 PM by J.Man »
Pages: 1 [2] 3