Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Billion Bipac 8800NL PPPoA to PPPoE conversion - possible?  (Read 7180 times)

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Billion Bipac 8800NL PPPoA to PPPoE conversion - possible?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 09:57:59 PM »

pfSense is a firewall

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 10:09:42 PM »

pfSense is a firewall

It better be good as the 8800NL own firewall is very impressive

Pockets

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 10:23:32 PM »

As I said, you can use straight PPPoA on Sky ADSL. And according to the link I gave you, you can use PPPOE on pfsense athough it recommends use of 1483 Bridge IP LLC on the Billion.

I have to use Sky MER with an HG612 and pfSense as I have Sky Fibre unlimited Pro.

Using the Billion as Modem with router with PPPoA works, I agree.  But then I wouldn't be using pfSense as the firewall.
Regarding the article you linked, are you sure that works with ADSL?  It's not working for me.  I set up the pfSense WAN with PPPoE and put my Sky authentication details in, and put in on the same subnet as the Billion.  I'm not 100% sure I haven't misconfigured something here though.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 10:29:14 PM »

Same subnet between WAN and LAN? I don't think that would work. I thought the Billion is configured as a modem and is transparent so no IP address. The pfsense WAN would be assigned the WAN IP

Pockets

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 10:33:50 PM »

The Billion in modem mode is still accessible on 192.168.1.254. I meant that the pfSense LAN is 192.168.1.1/24, but the WAN shows as NA or 0.0.0.0, so unassigned.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 10:44:05 PM by Pockets »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 10:35:47 PM »

Do you have 2 ethernet connections from the Billion to your network?

Pockets

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 10:41:30 PM »

No, I mean that when I switch the wires round and plug back into the Billion directly instead of to the pfSense router, it's accessible on its default address. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 10:57:04 PM »

It's ok, I was interested in the answer because that's how my HG612 is configured. As you can tell I'm no expert on a Billion with ADSL. Hopefully one will appear soon.

As the Billion would be on the WAN side, i think it would be inaccessible on your LAN, you really need it on another subnet so pfSense would try to access it through the default gateway.

The recommendation I posted can be reduced to these two images

On the billion

On pfsense

Is it possible to try these?

Pockets

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2016, 12:05:48 AM »

Annoyingly, I'm unable to post a useful screen shot right now. Suffice to say, on firmware version 2.32e on 8800NL, the interface looks quite a bit different.

Under Configuration/WAN/WAN Service/Edit ATM interface/Type Bridging I have
VPI, VCI
Encapsulation mode settable to VC/MUX or LLC SNAP-BRIDGING
Description
802.1P priority 802.1Q VLAN ID
and that's about it.

I tried LLC SNAP-BRIDGING and PPPoE on the pfSense but without success.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 03:21:45 AM »

i am on sky and using the billion in full bridge mode. i posted two guides on this website for setting it up so as long as your router behind it can authenticate then it will work and it will work as skyeci uses pfsense on sky. i will post links to guide when on pc as i am on phone right now

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2016, 07:33:22 AM »

This is Sky ADSL

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2016, 12:56:26 PM »

Using the Billion as Modem with router with PPPoA works, I agree.  But then I wouldn't be using pfSense as the firewall.
Of course, it is possible to do it in this configuration of the Billion as a modem/router. You could set up the router bit with DHCP and a subnet of 10.10.10.10/24 and put pfSense in the Billion's DMZ so it gets all ports and protocols passed through.

The WAN for pfsense would be DHCP so it gets the ip address from the Billion's DHCP server. You would still be using pfSense as the firewall, although this is all a bit of an interim solution until you figure out how to do it properly ;)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 01:22:03 PM »

Presumably you've already seen this link? http://www.billion.uk.com/edu/VDSL2/index.html

Pockets

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2016, 04:35:26 PM »

Dray: Agreed - though as you suggest, the DMZ solution is not ideal. I've seen that link (though the 8800NL R2 model it refers to is not the one I have). Stil, the PPP Half Bridge mode looks like it would be the best option, but I can't get it working. Whether that's my misconfiguration of the firewall, or oddities with Sky authenticaiton, I can't say!

Chrysalis: I've had a look but can't find the one you mean. If you do get a chance to post the link, that would be very handy. Though as Dray asked - was that for Sky ADSL?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2016, 04:52:04 PM »

Sorry for not realising its adsl, but surely this can do adsl bridge mode if it can do vdsl bridge mode.

One step would be switching WAN to bridging mode.
VDSL uses 802.1Q VLAN ID value of 101, according to a single source I could find on BT's forums 101 works also for adsl, but one source alone makes me wary.

The interface grouping of my guide will be valid for adsl bridging, so group the port you bridging from on the 8800nl to its own group separate from the 3 other ports. Assign it to win interface which in my case is ptm0.1.

So in the wan config screen, click add.
Choose ATM
Choose bridging
Encaps method VC/MUX
VPN 0 / VCI 38 (default VCI is 35)

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:v9fGH0xwGykJ:helpforum.sky.com/t5/Archived-Discussions/3rd-Party-Router-Configuration-for-Sky-Broadband-Migration-from-BE-O2-to-Sky/td-p/1582839+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

I suspect vlan id 101 will not work as that seems to be a BTw/openreach thing, so if it fails try the default unset value.

My guides here.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17915.0.html
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14621.0.html

My sig is now clickable and links to first guide :) Although I think I need to edit that first guide as I made it after the fact, and as a result I think it may be wrong.  As I am not sure if there is a default wan interface setup to edit.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 05:00:02 PM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 [2]