Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HG612: Power connector size  (Read 8259 times)

displaced

• Reg Member
HG612: Power connector size
« on: November 17, 2016, 11:53:27 PM »

Hi all!

Slightly odd question here!  What size is the barrel plug on the HG612's power supply?

I'm looking to get a passive PoE injector/separator to run it over Cat6.  I know I could unplug mine, but I'm only just about in favour with the DLM gods and don't want to anger them!

Thought it'd be worth an ask just in case!  I believe mine is the rev. B model - the power adapter is white.

Cheers!
Chris
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: HG612: Power connector size
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 02:50:02 PM »

I've just taken a quick look at the PSU plug for a Huawei HG612, type 3B, that is stored in the grotto . . .

To the best of my ability -- my eyesight isn't particularly good and I don't own callipers (vernier or otherwise) -- I make the length of the barrel to be 10 mm and its diameter to be 5 mm.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 03:18:54 PM »

I would agree with that, subject to the same provisos.
  Eric

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 03:30:40 PM »

Excellent -- thanks, both!

I'll order the injector/separator and see how I get on.

Cheers,
Chris

JSHarris

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 09:44:43 PM »

Mines running on PoE, with a 5.5mm x 2.5mm power connector, but it's possible that it's a 5.5mm x 2.1mm, as the plug I used was was one of those with springy internal connectors, that work OK on both 5.5mm and 2.1mm and 5.5mm by 2.5mm sockets.  The non-spring loaded plugs are pin-size critical, so if it's a 2.1mm pin on the HG612 then it won't make reliable contact with a 2.5mm plug, so it is well worth checking the pin diameter on the HG612 (sadly I can't do this right now, as mine is 16 miles away).

The barrel diameter is definitely be 5.5mm, as the only alternative sizes are much smaller, the tiny 3.5mm or 3.1mm barrel diameter, again with varying pin sizes.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 11:09:21 PM »

. . . it is well worth checking the pin diameter on the HG612 (sadly I can't do this right now, as mine is 16 miles away).

When you are able to measure the diameter, an update here would be appreciated please.

The barrel diameter is definitely be 5.5mm

Thank you.  :)

JSHarris

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 03:09:09 PM »

Wilco, I will measure it on Monday, and post back here the definitive dimensions.

FWIW, you can cheaply buy 5.5mm x 2.5mm to 5.5mm x 2.1mm adapters, and vice versa, and you can also buy 5.5mm (both pin sizes) to 3.5mm or 3.1mm (all pin sizes) adapters, so having a stock of these around can be useful.  Until I get around to rewiring the 5.5mm x 2.5mm plugs on the leads to a couple of my ancillaries to 5.5mm x 2.1mm I'm running them on adapters.  It's not a neat solution, as they take up space, but at least it gets around the intermittent connection problem you can get when using a non-spring loaded 5.5mm x 2.5mm plug with a 5.5mm x 2.1mm socket.

I can say for sure that D-Link routers tend to use 5.5mm x 2.1mm sockets, as do ZyXel switches, as I currently have adapters fitted to both of these to get them to work with the 5.5mm x 2.5mm plugs I fitted (in error) to the leads that supply them with power from my home-made DC UPS.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 01:48:40 PM »

Well, the passive injector/separator's now been installed (it was only a fiver so thought I'd risk it!).

It's this one: ESUMIC® Passive Power over Ethernet PoE Adapter Injector + Splitter Kit 5v 12v 24v 48v White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012AKXQE4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RIAmyb8QVEJNX

Claims to have 5.5x2.1mm jack/sockets.  Fits snugly to both the HG612's adapter and power socket.  Gave both a good wiggle to ensure the contact is good, and noted that they connect snugly without needing to be forced.

Anyway - looks neater and has freed up a mains socket in the hall that'll make hoovering the stairs a bit easier!

Just waiting another 12 minutes until it's safe to reconnect!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 02:08:37 PM »

Well, the passive injector/separator's now been installed (it was only a fiver so thought I'd risk it!).

It's this one: ESUMIC® Passive Power over Ethernet PoE Adapter Injector + Splitter Kit 5v 12v 24v 48v White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012AKXQE4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RIAmyb8QVEJNX

I presume you are only using half of that product, the splitter at the HG612's end?

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 02:34:47 PM »

I'm using both parts - the 612's power adapter is connected to the injector at the other end of the Ethernet run.  Means I have the modem powered from where my switch and server gear is in the cupboard under the stairs.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 03:05:24 PM »

...should probably add I didn't feel like the expense of a PoE-capable switch and an active splitter so close to Christmas.

These are working really well. The injector disconnects the power pins on the router side, sends the power from the AC adaptor down the pairs not used in 10base100 and the splitter passes through the data pins whilst splitting the power pins to the barrel connector.

Of course, this wouldn't work with gigabit links as all pairs are used for data!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 04:16:45 PM »

Thank you for clarifying the situation. I was thinking you were somebody else . . . hence my query.  :-[

JSHarris

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 01:46:43 PM »

As promised (although it's a bit late!) I've just measured the dimensions of the HG612 socket and it is actually a 5.5mm barrel diameter x  2.5mm pin diameter socket.  The pin is widely split, though, so it will make contact with a 5.5mm x 2.1mm plug, BUT, doing this will crush the split in the centre pin and therefore run the slight risk that it won't connect properly later if a 5.5mm x 2.5mm (non-spring type) plug is used.  I just tried to fit a 5.5mm x 2.1mm plug (one with a solid bore for the pin) into mine and it was a very tight fit and didn't appear to go completely home, but it did make good contact.

Also, I had a look at a couple of the cheap passive PoE adapters, like the ones sold on a popular auction site, and they seem to be supplied with a solid bore 5.5mm x 2.5mm power plug and a 5.5mm x 2.5mm socket at the other end.  These would probably work fine, the only reason I made my own up was because I had an ethernet socket on the wall, right next to where the modem is mounted, and so I needed a PoE adapter with RJ45 plugs on both ends, plus the power cable.  The cheap ones usually come with an RJ45 plug on the equipment-to-be-powered end plus an RJ45 free socket for the data + power input end, so I would have needed a short patch cable to connect one of these to the wall socket.

This is what it looks like (wish I'd had a bit of white two core cable and a white 5.5mm x 2.5mm power plug, though............) :

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2016, 02:10:09 PM »

Hi

A tidy setup and a good solution, one I've done myself before now.

Just to add those cheap PoE leads are not the same thing as PoE injectors and using them will limit the Ethernet speed to 100Mbits\sec (they use 2 pairs for carrying the power which are disconnected from the data connections, those 2 pairs are needed for 1Gig Ethernet), which is fine of course with FTTC and the HG612, but would need changing for G.Fast/Virgin where speeds are > 100Mbits\sec.

Also be aware of volt drop.  Depending on the length of Ethernet cable, being fed with 12 volts at one end will see < 12 volts at the other, plus this may work now with the low power draw of the HG612, changing that for a modem combined router and Wi-Fi would draw more current and the voltage can dip enough to stop the device from working or causing random or constant reboots.

PoE typically uses 48volt (sometimes 24volt), as a higher voltage means lower amps drawn which means lower voltage drop and less power being lost on a long wire.  It's why the overhead distribution grid uses thousands of volts.

I've used a similar arrangement as this but was powering a couple of things and was only getting 10 volts at the equipment side due to loses and the router just constantly rebooted, so having some parts available I used a 20 volt laptop power supply at the supply end, and used some DC-DC convertors at the other end to get me 12 volt for the equipment.

Regards

Phil

JSHarris

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 03:04:03 PM »

Spot on, it's not true PoE in terms of meeting the standard, but pairing up the two unused pairs works fine for something that runs from a 12V wall supply and has internal regulators, like the HG612.  The volt drop is tiny over the 15m or so that mine's running at, just a few mV at the HG612 end.  I don't believe the HG612 is very fussy about power, either, as the power supply that comes with it was putting out 12.6V when I measured mine.

Because I'm running all my stuff of a bunch of boost/buck switched mode regulators and a battery, I can turn the injection voltage up a bit to compensate for volt drop if needed, but right now the HG612 seems fine running on 11.924V.............
Pages: [1] 2