Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D problem: PPP username 32 character limit?  (Read 2158 times)

Berk

ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D problem: PPP username 32 character limit?
« on: November 17, 2016, 01:50:37 PM »

EDIT: SOLVED

EDIT: it seems firmware 5.11(AAXA.3)C0 increased the character limit. The release notes only mention support for a wider range of special characters, but I just tried it anyway. Hopefully I'll be able to get this configured properly now  :fingers:

I bought a used ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D via eBay. It appears to be from Zen, but as far as I can tell it seems to be working just fine.

However I don't think I can configure it to connect to my ISP? The problem is I can't write the ISP's username in the PPP username field (screenshot attached) as there is a maximum limit of 32 characters, but the ISP username is 37 characters.

Does this mean the ZyXEL is rendered useless for my connection?

I'll try updating the firmware but I can't see anything in the release notes about it.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 03:22:42 PM by Berk »

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D problem: PPP username 32 character limit?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 02:47:05 PM »

Hi

It might be a UI maximum that can be overridden if you are lucky.

In Chrome, try right clicking on that box and select 'Inspect', this will show you the element on the form, something like <input type='text'...>, does it have a maxlength="32"?  If yes, click on the 32 and edit it to 37.  Now add your username and save the page and see if it has accepted the 37 character user name.

Regards

Phil

Berk

Re: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D problem: PPP username 32 character limit?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 02:54:46 PM »

Thanks Phil,

I tried the 5.11(AAXA.3)C0 firmware (replacing 5.11(AAXA.1)C0) and it has made a difference. I haven't got as far as testing if it connects properly, but I can now write and save the ISP usename without the last characters being chopped off.

I did edit the first post, but I've re-edited to make in clearer that the new firmware makes a difference, and the thread can stay up in case anyone else stumbles into the same problem  :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 02:58:56 PM by Berk »

anything