Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Three day with a Asus dsl-n66u  (Read 1987 times)

npr

• Reg Member
Three day with a Asus dsl-n66u
« on: November 14, 2016, 09:43:54 PM »

After months of poor upstream sync speed on my BT VDSL connection, in desperation, I obtained a asus dsl-n66u to see if that routers "upstream power back off" (UPBO) setting could improve my upstream sync speed.

The following screen captures show the routers connection settings I tried and the resultant router stats (or what passes as stats from this router)

Asus1:
UPBO: disabled / Stability Adjustment (VDSL): 5dB / Dynamic Line  Adjustment: Enabled
Sync:  18721 Kbps ds  789 Kbps us

Asus2:
UPBO: Enabled  / Stability Adjustment (VDSL): 5dB / Dynamic Line  Adjustment: Enabled
Sync: 18987 Kbps ds  773 Kbps us

Asus3:
UPBO: enabled  /  Stability Adjustment (VDSL): Disabled (5.5dB) / Dynamic Line  Adjustment: Enabled
Sync: 17866 Kbps ds  765 Kbps us

Asus4:
UPBO: Enabled  / Stability Adjustment (VDSL): 9dB / Dynamic Line  Adjustment: Enabled
Sync:  15362 Kbps ds  733 Kbps us

Asus5:
UPBO: Enabled  / Stability Adjuctment (VDSL): Disabled (5.9dB) / Dynamic Line  Adjustment: Disabled
Sync:  16402 Kbps ds  867 Kbps us

This setting (I assume "Dynamic Line Adjustment: Disabled) resulted in a very high interleaved mode on the ds and interleaved being added to the upstream.

Asus6:
UPBO: Enabled  /Stability Adjustment (VDSL): Disabled (5.9dB) / Dynamic Line  Adjustment: Enabled
Sync: 16575 Kbps ds  902 Kbps us

Other stuff:

If I enabled "G.INP (G.998.4) then the router failed to connect to my ECI cabinet.
If I enabled Annex mode "B" the router failed to connect.

My conclusion:
The UPBO setting has no affect.
The Stability Adjustment (VDSL) setting does actually change the downstream noise margin for the connection.
The ds sync from the Asus was much worse them that obtained from my Zyxel VMG8924 ( typically 24Mbps ds 0.6 us)

A couple of days after moving back to my ZyXEL VMG8924, interleaving has now been removed from us but it's still at a high level for ds.

+++++++++++++++++++
Sorry only allowed to post 3 attachments, am I allowed to post the other 3 screen shots in a second post?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Three day with a Asus dsl-n66u
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 11:06:47 PM »

Sorry only allowed to post 3 attachments, am I allowed to post the other 3 screen shots in a second post?

Yes, certainly.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

npr

• Reg Member
Re: Three day with a Asus dsl-n66u
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 09:20:48 AM »

Thanks, the remaining three screen captures:

anything