Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Centos, duplicate crash reports  (Read 4176 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Centos, duplicate crash reports
« on: November 12, 2016, 01:57:54 PM »

I'd appreciate any help with a nagging problem...

A few weeks ago, 23rd October, I received an email on my gmail account entitled "[abrt] full crash report" from my Centos server, telling me that samba had crashed.   That was good, as it told me that Samba had a problem, and it was also good as it proved my forwarding rule in /.forward was working.   :graduate:

Since I had been messing about with various SMB clients at the time I decided not to investigate and hope it was a one-off, and indeed it has not recurred.  I have no regrets about that decision, Samba has been fine ever since.

Trouble is... I keep receiving duplicates of that email notification, at intervals from a few hours to a few days.  About a week ago I rebooted, and I thought that had stopped them, until today - three more messages so far.  All referring to the same smbd crash on 23rd October. ???

/var/log/maillog shows activity corresponding to the time the messages were sent, with a sequence commencing...

postfix/qmgr....
postfix/pickup...
postfix/cleanup...

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Centos, duplicate crash reports
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 04:01:40 PM »

On further investigation, smb is crashing each time a report is sent.  I could have sworn I'd excluded that possibility, but clearly I was mistaken.   Evidence is there in /var/log/messages.    :-[

There thus remain two issues to be resolved....

1) Why is smb crashing?   Dunno, but let's put that on the back burner.
2) Why does ABRT keep telling me about the first crash, over and over again?   Dunno, but if I address (1) I bet it'll stop.

Conclusion:   I need to tolerate the multiple notifications, or I need to figure out why smb is crashing and stop it, or I need to disable the ABRT service.  :D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 04:43:01 PM »

And now that I am on the trail of something I can get me teeth into, the problem begins to unravel...

Log files in /var/log/samba show that the crashes relate to sessions with my Mac Mini and, by an amazing co-incidence, a few weeks ago I changed my Mac Mini to automatically connect to a Samba share own the server.  It seems to be these connections that, occasionally (not always), cause smbd to crash on the server.  They shouldn't cause it to crash obviously, but I least I know what is triggering the crashes, and the nagging email notifications.

I had not twigged that the Mac Mini was a factor as the crashes seemed pretty random, and often in the middle of the night, or when I am not home.  But for reasons known only to Apple, OS X systems often awaken themselves in the middle of the night, and the times of awakening correspond to the smb crashes on the server.  I should thus be able to stop the crashes by inhibiting the 'auto connect' to the share.

Questions (1) and (2) above remain unresolved for now, but I won't bother updating this monologue any more unless anybody else finds it of interest to join in. :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 04:58:06 PM »

As for (2), ABRT on CentOS 7 was not usable upon the original release of the OS. The recommendation was not to attempt to use it and just remove the package. The problem is/was (delete inappropriate word) that the package was designed to "call home" automagically and create a report for the bug-tracker. As originally written, "home" was Red Hat and the bug-tracker was that of Red Hat! I don't know the status of ABRT, as currently shipped by CentOS.

(Even as a RHEL user, I have not felt the need to install ABRT.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 05:20:42 PM »

Thanks for that.  I have no recollection of making any conscious decision to install or enable ABRT, and I have no desire for it to be there, other than a desire to respect the opinions of CentOS 7 architects if they had decided it should be present.

I had assumed it was installed by default with CentOS.  But possibly also some other package dragged it in, or maybe I have just forgotten something.  Either way, if it causes me more grief I shall, with a clear conscience,  take steps to disable or remove it. :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 05:22:57 PM by sevenlayermuddle »