Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Samsung Tablets  (Read 7495 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Samsung Tablets
« on: November 12, 2016, 01:46:24 AM »

Anyone use a Samsung Tablet ? Mrs tickmike says it would be nice for 'Santa' to bring one  ;D

http://www.ebuyer.com/749917-samsung-galaxy-tab-a-16gb-wi-fi-tablet-black-sm-t580nzkabtu
This one has 'Android 6.0 Marshmallow' os.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Samsung Tablets
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 08:30:22 AM »

We have an older Samsung 10in tablet, an older 8in Samsung tablet and two HUDL2s. None of which are used now except one of the HUDLs when we go on holiday just to be able to look stuff up on where we are going. While they work my wife in particular has issues with tablets because of the touch only system in use on all the models we have. She is used also to a proper keyboard and so again does not like the touch one, OK you can have a separate one but this adds bulk to what you carry round!

If Mrs tickmike has not used a tablet before I would very strongly suggest that she actually visits a store to try out the various models including the touch system and keyboard prior to any purchase.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 09:25:49 AM »

I've had a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 edition for a couple of years now, previous cheap tablets became unusable, they slowed down and nothing I did would fix it. The performance of the Samsung, and my daughters 2012 version has pretty much remained constant. I did have some battery issues which turned out to be the charger cable.

I believe Kitz purchased a Samsung tablet about a year ago, having previously had an Ipad so would be interesting to hear her thoughts a year on.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 10:50:18 AM »

Mrs tickmike has a ' Scroll evoke 7" ' this seems familiar with this one  'slowed down and nothing I did would fix it' 
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 03:23:44 PM »

Yep I got a Galaxy Tab S2 last year which runs on Android 6.0.1.   Dont think Mrs TM will have any problems with the touch system or keyboard.. it all works nice and smooth.   Although I do have a separate case/keyboard, I dont tend to use it - unlike with my ipad when I used the separate keyboard quite often.   I specifically bought a separate keyboard case for the S2 thinking I would frequently need it like with the ipad... but TBH I think Ive only used it twice in the past year.

There was a BlackFriday deal for £100 off at Curry's/PCW , plus Samsung were giving £50 Black Friday cash back which meant I got equivalent spec to the latest ipad for half the price bar about £2.   Samsung often do decent BlackFriday deals, so it may be worth hanging on another week or so.

I was 'forced' into purchasing a new tablet after an ioS upgrade slowed my ipad down to a practically unusable state and there was no way to roll back the 'upgrade'.
Am I happy with it.  YES!!  Although I loved my ipad at the time, I had some niggles with the way Apple do things. 
Now I personally much prefer Samsung to Apple.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:39:49 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 02:10:24 AM »

re. There was a BlackFriday deal for £100 off at Curry's/PCW , I see they are giving £60 off  on this at the moment at £159  ;D
I have not used these Black Friday deals before :(
Will it go lower on Friday ? or is it day by day deals ? and are they just 'on-line' ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 10:36:41 AM »

I have not used these Black Friday deals before :(
Will it go lower on Friday ? or is it day by day deals ? and are they just 'on-line' ?

If its listed as a Black Friday event, then no it wont go lower on Friday.  The PCWorld/Currys offers are usually in store, via phone, or online.  Samsung Direct is online only.
Be warned, a lot of the the deals go very fast.  Last year I was online just after midnight and a lot of the Samsung Direct deals had already gone by 12.30.

I bought via Curry's/PC World Black Tag Event.  Last year the offer started at 1 minute past midnight and iirc lasted over the weekend.

Unfortunately the one I ordered got damaged in the post and when I rang up immediately on the Sat morning, it was
1) a nightmare trying to get through because there were so many people trying to get hold of the offers by phone as the stores were out of stock.
2) They didn't have any more of the one I originally ordered (bronze/gold) in stock in any of their stores or online.  But luckily they did still have a black one which they sent instead.

Ive ordered quite a lot of online things from Curry's/PCWorld, delivery is normally very fast and this is the only time I have had a damaged package from them. You could tell from the packaging before I even opened it that it must have been dropped on transit. :/  (Actually it looked like it may have been stood on! and I said as such to the driver).
They use DPD which is usually very good and have a decent online tracking service so you literally know to the minute when its going to be delivered.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 10:54:42 PM »

Could be worth a look at £159 here at Currys for this Samsung Galaxy Tab A - not used one myself but reviews look good and its selling for 219 at Argos.

Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

anything