Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Slow fibre stats - mean anything?  (Read 10170 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Slow fibre stats - mean anything?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 03:30:59 PM »

It would be helpful if you could sign up to MyDSLWebStats. Upon successful sign-up and entry of details in HG612_Stats then it should start uploading to MDWS straight away. Alternatively install DslStats and attach images of your Hlog.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

zxcvbnm

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 07:45:51 PM »

It would be helpful if you could sign up to MyDSLWebStats. Upon successful sign-up and entry of details in HG612_Stats then it should start uploading to MDWS straight away. Alternatively install DslStats and attach images of your Hlog.

Thankyou. I have tried but I'm not sure its achieving anything. I thought perhaps I had to wait 24 hours. Perhaps it does not like my old netbooks windows xp. I will try and restart it and see.

Thanks

zxcvbnm

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 07:54:05 PM »

Hmm well I had another stab a plus.net today online, I said that when my line was dead someone mentioned resetting my speed to see if it had become stuck.

The first person said that was impossible and he had no idea where I had that idea. Then he decided I might not be the account holder and refused to continue due to data protection so I guess it was his tea break?

The second person was much more help full and said

"The Fibre speed profile can become 'banded' or locked, so I can check that for you."

then he said

"Yes it is restricted to 18Mbps max download. It would need an engineer visit to fix that, as it hasn't corrected itself automatically.
So to raise that to our Faults Team and start the process, you can report this for investigation by our Faults Team, by completing the Troubleshooter "

So I went though the fault reporting wizard and the tech support replied with a message that they could see no fault on my line and it would be £65 for an engineer?? Oh and they feel the modem they provided is out of warranty so if thats the problem I will be in trouble but they will give me a new one if I sign a new 18 month contract....

Which all in all just reminds me why I avoid pursuing this. Grrr, don't know what I'm going to do now.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 08:06:52 PM »

The first thing I would like to see your Clean & Impacted results from the BT Availability Checker it is only an advisory process though it can show if a line is under performing.

Run it an remove any personnel details & post results https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

zxcvbnm

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 09:35:28 PM »

Oh I restarted the netbook and suddenly modem stats and mydslwebstats started working... So that was rather a waste of 24 hours waiting but yay its working now.

zxcvbnm

bottom of the list though obviously not much to see yet.

(I will work on line check thing as soon as I'm back on a proper computer thanks for idea)

zxcvbnm

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 10:09:24 PM »

My BT line checker stats

High   Low   High   Low            
VDSL Range A (Clean)   32.4   25   6.7   4.8   --   Available   --   --
VDSL Range B (Impacted)   25.7   12.1   5.4   1.3   --   Available   --   --
ADSL Products

ADSL Max   Up to 8   --   7 to 8   Available   --   --
Fixed Rate   2   --   --   Available   --   --

(I would point out that before I had fibre installed and for a month or so afterwards the speed estimate was around 50mbps so I don't know if they actually changed it or if it now just copies the actual real speeds I am getting).

I wonder what the difference bettween range a and b are?

For comparison my neighbour off the next pole with his 34mbps capped download speed and 6-7mbps upload speed is

VDSL Range A (Clean)   40   30   7.7   5.9   --   Available   --   --
VDSL Range B (Impacted)   30.2   15   7   3.1   --   Available   --   --

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 10:31:17 PM »

I wonder what the difference bettween range a and b are?

Range A your getting the best line with no issues internally (home) and externally the pair to the PCP cabinet are good

Range B impacted can be an internal pair issue at the home or the copper pairs to the PCP cabinet are bad

you should be getting 32 or 30 mbps not 18mbps
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:34:16 PM by NewtronStar »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 04:17:34 AM »

The downstream does look banded at 18mb, but removing this with a DLM reset would only increase it to around 22-23mb, not 30mb. The upload isn't banded and won't improve with a DLM reset.

The ISP will often advise that you may be charged for an engineer visit if the fault lies on your side of the master socket. A decent OpenReach engineer should be able to see the problem is on their end and not advise the charge be applied. They should be able to detect full throughput from your fibre port, but even their test equipment will sync at 18mb from your property.

edit: just had a look at your Hlog on MDWS and to my inexperienced eye it doesn't look great. Hopefully a more experienced member here could take a look for you and advise further if they think your line needs attention.

Have Plusnet ran a GEA test for you? Posting results of that would also help.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:22:58 AM by j0hn »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 05:21:15 PM »

edit: just had a look at your Hlog on MDWS and to my inexperienced eye it doesn't look great. Hopefully a more experienced member here could take a look for you and advise further if they think your line needs attention.

Yuck. :yuck: The Hlog plot indicates that there is at least one significant bridging tap present in the circuit.

Have Plusnet ran a GEA test for you? Posting results of that would also help.

That is a very good idea. If Plusnet were to run a GEA test it should detect the bridging tap.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

zxcvbnm

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2016, 12:47:20 PM »

Ok, thank you for the hopeful suggestions. Some developments

Spooked by the suggestion that it the fault might now be my modem I took it across to my neighbour where it said I had a line rate of about 40mbps and upload of 7 something. The attenuation was fractionally higher as you would expect from the next pole along. The power was oddly lower at about 3.6 compared to my 5.6. But that does show that the modem connects at twice the speed in his house (he is capped so 40 should be his limit anyway) and seven times the upload speed!

It turned out there was a geas test! But they put it in a separate closed support enquiry and did not tell me so I did not see it until I looked for closed support enquiries...

This says no bridge tap? To be honest I don't know how accurate my mydslstats will be as I have had trouble updating them as you can see...

It does leave the question of whats left. I hope its not just the cable from the pole which goes underground beneath my lawn as thats about all thats left. That the ten feet of wire in my house to the master socket, some problem with the green box or exchange or a mix up at plus.net...

I worry that if it is a bad cable they may say it is poor but I'm only entitled to poor. Can't see them digging up my lawn really... Ah well. We will see. Thanks again

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID   NA   Service ID   BBEU

Test Outcome   Pass
Test Outcome Code   GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description   GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location   OK
Sync Status   In Sync
Downstream Speed   18.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed   1.3 Mbps
Appointment Required   N
Fault Report Advised   N
NTE Power Status   PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result   Pass
Bridge Tap   Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise   Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres   1031.5
Upstream Rate Assessment   Low
Downstream Rate Assessment   Low
Interference Pattern   Not Detected
Service Impact   No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem   Not Detected
Profile Name   0.128M-18M Downstream, Interleaving High - 0.128M-0.8M Upstream, Interleaving On
Time Stamp   2016-10-25T10:15:00
Parameters   MIN   MAX   AVG
Down Stream Line Rate   18.0 Mbps   18.0 Mbps   18.0 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate   0.8 Mbps   1.2 Mbps   0.8 Mbps
Up Time   105.0 Sec   900.0 Sec   887.5 Sec
Retrains   0.0   3.0   0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters   Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)   Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp   2016-11-07T09:34:56.971+00:00   2016-11-07T09:49:56.971+00:00
Ingress Code Violation   0   0
Egress Code Violation   0   1
Errored Seconds   0   0
Severely Errored Seconds   0   0
Unavailable Seconds   0   0

zxcvbnm

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 01:18:54 PM »

Oh if anyone is interested :) here are the modem stats from my line and from briefly plugging into my next door neighbours line.

I was actually surprised it connected that fast as he is meant to be limited to 38mbps. I assume the errors on his stats were from having the wrong username and password so it obviously could not connect to his isp.

zxcvbnm

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 04:23:07 PM »

Oh I installed some updates to net. framework, disabled my virus checker and firewall, restarted the netbook and modem stats started working to mydslstats at about noon. Then at two o clock when the quick stats started it all stopped again so I disabled the quickstats and graphing and task manager killed the modem stats process and now it all works again? We will see.

Short version mydslstats is working for me again from noon today.

Still waiting on plus.net. Rather dreading they will say your line may be faulty but we are not expected to provide a good line just the minimum crappy one. Still optimism perhaps it will get fixed.

No idea what hlogs means but mine does look a bit different from other peoples, perhaps it will smooth out with more data...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2016, 04:49:36 PM »

No idea what hlogs means but mine does look a bit different from other peoples,

I've been reading Hlog plots for long enough to say (with both confidence and conviction) that there is a bridging tap present somewhere in your circuit. Just because the GEA test that Plusnet performed did not detect it, it does not mean that it is not there!  :-X

perhaps it will smooth out with more data...

No, it won't.  :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 05:51:51 PM »

My advise would be to request an OpenReach engineer visit. Plusnet may advise that you could be charged if no fault is found. They will detect a bridging tap though, as the engineers also look at the Hlog. They have equipment that can roughly detect where the problem lies. This will not resolve itself, and is likely the reason for the slower sync compared to your neighbours.

When the engineer comes, tell him your Hlog shows a bridging tap. Your less likely to be fobbed off if the engineer believes you are knowledgeable. The Hlog should be a fairly smooth downward slope. That upward section at the start of the 2nd red line around tone 1200 shows a definite bridging tap, which OR will need to fix.

edit: You also need to ask for a DLM reset from the engineer after the work is completed, as your line also appears to be banded (fixed, stuck) at 18mb. Only an on site engineer can do this.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 05:56:08 PM by j0hn »

zxcvbnm

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2016, 04:57:06 PM »

Thank you to burakkucat and J0hn and the other helpful suggestions. It is very nice to have hope there may be a definite findable and fixable problem :)

I have updated my support request with plus.net with a copy of my hlog and will see if I can get an engineer and somewhere.

I would like to think wheels are turning, solutions devised and engineers being organised right now behind the scenes at plus.net, but its also possible they just have not got around to reading my support request yet... I will prod them next week if nothing transpires.

Thanks again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4