Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Slow fibre stats - mean anything?  (Read 10123 times)

zxcvbnm

Slow fibre stats - mean anything?
« on: November 06, 2016, 05:32:05 PM »

I signed up with plusnet fibre with an estimate of 50 down and 3-5 up I think. I got about 20 down and 1 up. They just say my line is operating normally and thats what it gets. I'm a way from the exchange but I was getting 8 out of 8 on adsl. My next door neighbour (50m further from the exchange on same line) has since installed ee fibre and received 34 down (his plan is capped at this) and 6 up which is infuriating as I'm stuck paying far more. I have installed an hg612 modem to try and look at stats. I've always been suspicious of the installer who insisted on moving stuff and spent an hour fiddling with all the wires and muttering about pairs. but who knows. Wish I'd waited for self install....

I don't know if my stats would offer any hint to anyone as to what is wrong? Thanks.
They are;

Mode   VDSL2 
Traffic type   PTM 
DSL synchronization status   Up 

Downstream  Upstream
Attainable rate (kbit/s)   23896   2059
SNR margin (dB)           8    6.6
Line attenuation (dB)          25.8   0
Output power (dBmV)   5.6   5.6

Path 0
Path 1
    Downstream   Upstream   Downstream   Upstream
Line rate (kbit/s)   18000    1296    0    0
CRC errors   0    0    0    0
FEC errors   0    1    0    0
HEC errors   0    0    0    0

My neighbours from his ee router are something like
34024 down 6828 up
noise margin up 6.6db  down 6.6
output power 3.5db
line attenuation 26.5 downstream 0 upstream

Even the guy two hundred meters further up the hill/line gets 30 down and 3-4 up. grr

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Slow fibre stats - mean anything?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »

So what are your telephone socket(s) and wiring like now? Usually a managed install would fit a filtered faceplate, which would avoid any issues caused by internal extension wiring. If you had a load of star wired sockets before the install, then the installer should have sorted that out at the time.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 07:05:05 PM »

What Plusnet Fibre Plan are you on?

zxcvbnm

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 07:07:11 PM »

Assuming its all connected correctly I think it should go something like this,

Short current version - Four wires into the house (presumably from defunct second line) going into ceiling and into wall of bedroom and master socket. New socket just put in due to lightning. Extension wire not currently connected so thats it with just a hg612 modem and a panasonic dect phone base.

Longer version - phone wires go into house, through a lozenge shaped wall box with a bunch of gel crimpers? On into a cable to the above bedroom to a socket, formerly considered an extension. Then onto a downstairs study. The study used to be considered the master socket and gave 8 out of 8 adsl speed. The fibre installation man thought the bedroom should be our master socket as presumably nearer to line (inconvenient but there you go) and put the filtered socket there. There are lots of other extensions in the house that all end in the study in a bt phone plug. You plug this into the former master socket and thus all the extensions became live. There a lots of extensions but not much plugged into them as we are mostly cordless now.

The lightning the other week blew up the master socket, and the former master socket in the study. A linesman was sent in to change our master socket but the phone line was not live yet so he could not do any testing and was a linesman not an inside person anyway. The study's former master socket I pulled out and found it still had a b wires in the back (but presumably not connected at the far end). I connected a new socket to the extension wires and it worked. Then I pulled the extension wires back out of the master socket.

Thus we are as pure as we can be. I should have written down the snr figures from before but I did not. I don't think they were dramatically different though. None of this seems to have made much difference. Irritatingly it is a rock solid 20mbs connection. It not as if it increases and becomes flakey its just slow and reliable. I can stay connected for weeks at a time.

I have never got plusnet to care. I would have left as my contract is now up but when my neighbour had fibre installed I suddenly realised it wasn't just a lying salesman my line really should me much faster and now I'm stuck paying a fortune but don't like to leave without getting it sorted first....

Anyway I was hoping people might be able to see from my stats if there was something odd going on with such a slow speed?

Thanks for any thoughts.

zxcvbnm

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 07:13:46 PM »

What Plusnet Fibre Plan are you on?

Plusnet unlimited fibre. That was all there was when I signed up. Its really rather embarrassing how much I'm stuck paying, all I can say is its been a busy period elsewhere. Should give the full speed possible up to 80mbps I think. (Though obviously I don't expect that at my distance)

They give my current line speed as 17.4mbps

zxcvbnm

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 07:16:26 PM »

Oh and obviously eventually I will have to plug the extensions back in but I thought if I removed them from the equation I might get somewhere. At least if the speed went up and then I plugged the extensions back in I would know it was my fault but I'm achieving nothing so far.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 07:26:02 PM »

The socket in the study, how is it connected to the line? It should be connected to the removable lower front part of the master socket, so that you're able to disconnect all the extension wiring when you take off the lower front bit.

zxcvbnm

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 08:18:50 PM »

The socket in the study, how is it connected to the line? It should be connected to the removable lower front part of the master socket, so that you're able to disconnect all the extension wiring when you take off the lower front bit.

Thats right. Or at least it was before it was vaped by lightning so now the old master socket is replaced with a regular extension box. So I disconnected it at the new master socket just in case there was some fault actually in the wire or something. (Its one of these new mk4 ones were the wires just clip out without tools).
I had tried disconnecting the extensions  like you suggested before when everyone was away but it never seemed to have any effect on my stats or anything.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 08:37:26 PM »

I signed up with plusnet fibre with an estimate of 50 down and 3-5 up I think.
I'm not sure those estimated down and up speeds go together, I'd expect higher upstream for a line could do 50Mb downstream.

Plusnet unlimited fibre. That was all there was when I signed up. Its really rather embarrassing how much I'm stuck paying, all I can say is its been a busy period elsewhere. Should give the full speed possible up to 80mbps I think.

Plusnet's Unlimited Fibre is 40/2. Unlimited Fibre Extra is 80/20.

A graph of the HLog data is useful to look for issues with the physical line / wiring itself.

zxcvbnm

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »

I'm not sure those estimated down and up speeds go together, I'd expect higher upstream for a line could do 50Mb downstream.

Plusnet's Unlimited Fibre is 40/2. Unlimited Fibre Extra is 80/20.

You may be right. I'm sure the estimated download was 48-52mbps. I can't for sure remember the upload speed except that it was lots and the main reason I signed up as I thought it would improve skype and such. I see on the email form them they just put 48mbps estimated download speed, no mention of upload.

When I signed up two and a bit years ago plus.net fibre unlimited was full speed and I think the only fibre package they offered... This was before they limited upload speeds.

I will look into logs. I assume you mean something from the modem stats software? I will see if I can leave a laptop running with it on or something.

Thankyou

zxcvbnm

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 08:57:40 PM »

Oh I'm paying about £26 a month for fibre I think, plus line rental, which is considerably more than their unlimited package charges. Though I am out of contract and would only get the lower price by signing up to a contract tying into a faulty product again...

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 10:11:44 PM »

What makes you think you should be getting more speed? Have you located your local fibre cabinet? My guess is the neighbours getting higher speeds will be in the direction of the cabinet. Distance to exchange means nothing with FTTC. My brother had double my speed on ADSL, I now have double the speed of his fibre. Distance from the street cabinet is the main factor in determining your estimated speed.

Find what cabinet you use from this page

Then try locate it using this guide

Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

zxcvbnm

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 10:51:15 PM »

What makes you think you should be getting more speed? Have you located your local fibre cabinet? My guess is the neighbours getting higher speeds will be in the direction of the cabinet. Distance to exchange means nothing with FTTC. My brother had double my speed on ADSL, I now have double the speed of his fibre. Distance from the street cabinet is the main factor in determining your estimated speed.

First it was because they said I would and 1mb up is a pathetic improvement on a good adsl connection..

Now its because its clear my neighbours all have five or six times my upload speed.

I do know where my green box is. I can trace the phone line from it across the fields to the pole in front of my house where it splits to me and carries on further to my neighbours pole and then on a further 150 meters or so up the hill, through a bush and several tree branches to an even further neighbour who gets 30 something down and five up.

Of course it may be that the final stretch from the pole to my house is bad. Or the stretch of wiring to my master socket and bt may be only obliged to give me a bad connection. But if so you would think it would show up in my stats wouldn't you? I don't know for sure myself but I hope.

Anyway I have tried to sign up for mydslstats and will see in the morning if the old netbook I have left running managed to do anything. I'm not really sure what I'm doing but it may work.

Thanks for the thought

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 10:52:56 PM »

Has OP recently renewed his contract or had any sort of dealing with customer services? PN debased their old Unlimited to 40/2, and I'm wondering, if somehow he was moved over, though I tentatively think existing customers should not have been. Has he looked in the Plusnet forum for similar instances?
I think that it will also be found that Plusnet quotes the lower non-impacted speeds in estimates, or used to.

zxcvbnm

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 09:45:11 AM »

Has OP recently renewed his contract or had any sort of dealing with customer services? PN debased their old Unlimited to 40/2, and I'm wondering, if somehow he was moved over, though I tentatively think existing customers should not have been. Has he looked in the Plusnet forum for similar instances?
I think that it will also be found that Plusnet quotes the lower non-impacted speeds in estimates, or used to.

Nope, or at least they shouldn't have. And even if they had and I was capped at 2mbp upload surely I should get that then shouldn't I? I did have the suspicion when it was installed that they had accidentally capped me at the speed for adsl2 as they sent me adsl router by mistake but they insist that is not possible.

I did think I had just been mislead by a salesman and fibre just could not cope with my lenght of line as well as adsl, but then as I said my neighbours recently installed fibre and get much more speed as I was supposed to...

Anyway drifting form the point slightly I'm afraid. Mainly I was hoping my stats would give some hope of something. Perhaps not. I will see tonight if modem stats suddenly generates something after 24 hours or if I have wrongly configured it...

Thanks for the idea.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything