Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Advice wanted - How to move cabinet  (Read 4927 times)

hornseye

• Just arrived
Advice wanted - How to move cabinet
« on: November 05, 2016, 08:07:56 AM »

Hi All,

I've recently moved to a small development of new build houses located a 200m away from my old house. My old house enjoyed a solid 80Mb/s connection on BT Inifinity 2. My new property just manages 20Mb/s on Inifinity 2.

When the BT/Openreach engineer came to install the line in August this year, his line test equipment showed a cable length of 900m (my old property showed line length of 100m). I quizzed the engineer and he responded that it was they way in which Openreach had provisioned my line. It was routed thro' the cabinet I used to be connected to in my old property and onto another cabinet further away.  However he did say there was spare capacity in the closer cabinet.

Unhappy with the internet bandwidth, I asked my new neighbours what their experience was. All but one had the same level of Internet bandwidth. One neighbour has successfully complained and his line had been reprovisioned and as a result his Inifinity 2 was now 80Mb/s, but this took him nearly a year of complaining to BT.

I decided that complaining BT could result in them reprovisioning my line, and my neighbours to the closer cabinet.

I contacted BTweb help, they said reprovisioning a line could not be achieved as this is an Openreach decision.

I contacted BT phone, they said reprovisioning a line could not be achieved as this is an Openreach decision

I wrote a nice complaint letter to Clive Selly (CEO of Openreach) to ask for the line to be reprovisioned. This was passed directly to BT Executive Complaints Department.

BT executive complaints department immediately wrote a deadlock lettter as BT could not help as it was an Openreach issue.

I opened a case with Ofcom. Who after due consideration told me that they could not act as Ofcom do not regulate Openreach.

I have opened a case with ISPA and await a response.

I have written to be my local MP and asked for her assistance.

It would seem that in certain situations, Openreach can act in a way which places consumers at a disadvantage and there is no obvious way of redress.

So I know you Kitzens arewell seasoned to the scenario I describe, do you have any advice or guidance that you could offer? (I see a similar thread http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18729.msg335751.html#msg335751 posted recently

Ed

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Advice wanted - How to move cabinet
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 01:22:23 PM »

I highly doubt that 1 of your neighbours has had their line rerouted to another cabinet, for this very reason. Under no circumstances will OpenReach move a line to a new cabinet. It will then involve every other neighbours in the street wanting their line moved.

I also doubt your neighbour had their line moved as it's not as simple as it seems. It involves breaking open 100 line bundles to access a single pair, changing DP's, changing the E-Side for a single line, reprovisioning the phone/broadband. This results in at least a few days downtime. Engineers are never allowed to move lines.

Most of my street is on 1 cabinet, the last few of us are on a further away cabinet. My neighbour immediately next to me is on the nearer cabinet. No amount of trying can get my line moved, believe me I tried.

If 1 of your neighbours is on a different cabinet, then they always have been, and probably a few others are also. It's just the way it is. Before xDSL it didn't matter what cabinet a line was connected to and OpenReach had a very scattered approach to connecting lines to cabinets. At the end of a 25/100 pair bundle the next bundle might randomly connect to a different cabinet. It's just how it is.

OpenReach engineers can be sacked for moving lines to different cabinets, as it causes exactly this. The rest of the street suddenly wants moved. The only way your line will ever be moved is if OpenReach decide to do network rearrangements and move your entire bundle to the nearer cabinet. This involves a while lot of work, and needs spare E-Side from the new cabinet all the way back to the exchange. If there's not enough it costs thousands and thousands to add more E-Side capacity.

edit: a quick look guessing the street from your diagram it looks indeed like half your street is connected to cabinet 3 and half to cabinet 5. Your whole scheme is a mix match of  cabinets 3, 5, 7 & 38
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 01:34:59 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 02:19:38 PM »

Sadly you have found out openreach are not accountable, ofcom's reply is interesting in saying openreach are not regulated.

My opinion is that reroute's are very rare, but clearly are not impossible as a few people somehow manage to get them carried out.  The problem is you not going to be told how to get this done on a public forum as BT will not want it getting out that they can reroute a line, as of course others will ask for the same.

Your case seems especially harsh tho if its true that indeed your bundle is actually routed via the nearer cabinet as that would suggest not much work would be involved in moving the bundle providing the cabinet has sufficient unused ports.

Cabinet coverage is not a circle around the cabinet, its more more like a D shape. With those on the other side of the flat D been far away from the cabinet they connected to.

As a result I can offer no tips that I think would be effective.

My assumption is you was estimated a low speed, if yes it means you got no grounds ASA side.  Exec office was probably your best bet but a instant deadlock letter without even discussion is a bit of an agressive response.  It would seem aaisp might be your best bet, but I dont know if they will fight for lines been rerouted purely for speed reasons (they will do if a line is unstable or has had a speed drop thats excessive).

My personal view is that openreach should be selling direct to consumers which in turn makes them accountable and that isp's should only sell the transit/peering side of the service.  Sadly ofcom dont want that arrangement so we have what we have.

Just had a thought, you can try your local press, bad publicity if bad enough can sway companies.

Hopefully someone else can assist better than me.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 02:24:26 PM by Chrysalis »

hornseye

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 03:07:46 PM »

Thanks for reply J0hn & Chrysalis - food for thought  :)

Think I need to investigate the vDSL log files for stability stats of the connection. I usually get 2 or 3 disconnects/reconnects a day but will trawl the logs my router has sent to get a definitive gauge on the stability.

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 09:29:47 AM »

I'm still on same cabinet, but managed to get my line rerouted from the front pole outside my house, which gave me around 25Mb on a good day, to the rear pole at bottom of garden which serves just two houses,it takes a shorter route back to cabinet, & I now  get 69Mb.
They ran a new line from house to back pole & down a lane to another pole on main road,took 2 days to sort, due to a few problems with a recurring line fault.
Involved a lot of letter writing to ceo's of BT/OR & about 8 months of going back & forth before the line was moved.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 09:34:30 AM by KIAB »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 12:44:49 PM »

hornseye if you do manage to find stability grounds to complain, bear in mind they will try other remedies first, a reroute would be an absolute last resort.

hornseye

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 04:28:29 PM »

Thanks Chrysalis, Im in for the long game and KIAB glad to hear that your finally had an acceptable outcome.

I had heard that this could be quite a slew of letter writing, but I'm fairly persistent (I recall getting a low loss line installed in the early 80's :-) for modem work) but I've had the luxury of nearly 20 years of decent internet from BT. Just been my wake up call that Customer Service really hasnt been wholly embraced.

Anyway, with vDSL 95 drops in 30 days and the brand new line to my new house showing as Impacted, I'll see where I can get :-)

Screen cap shows last few days worth of activity!

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 04:34:46 PM by hornseye »

AngelRex

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 12:37:07 PM »

As a question, if you were to order a new line/2nd line to your property, would this be routed from the closer or further cabinet away?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 01:11:30 PM »

No, you already have 2 pairs going into your property. BT use 4 pair cabling. If they need to take a new pair, for a 3rd line for example, it will come from the same bundle as the current pairs which run to the same cabinet.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM