Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Virgin Media Boosts FTTP Rollout and Tops 4.87 Million Broadband Users  (Read 2480 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Virgin Media Boosts FTTP Rollout and Tops 4.87 Million Broadband Users

Cable Internet and TV provider Virgin Media (Liberty Global) has published their latest quarterly results (calendar Q3 2016), which saw growth in their broadband base improve to total 4,867,900 customers (up by +59.9K vs +42.7K added in Q2). On top of that around 2 million premises will now benefit from ultrafast FTTP broadband.

So far Virgin Media’s on-going £3bn Project Lighting network expansion, which aims to reach 17 million UK premises by 2019 (i.e. an extra 4 million premises – boosting UK coverage to around 60-65%), has already covered 250,000 premises in 2015. Since then they’ve added 70,000 during Q1 2016, then 85,000 in Q2 and now 95,000 for Q3. The progress is good.

As a result of the above effort Virgin Media’s Two-Way Homes Passed figure (i.e. homes on those sections of Virgin’s hybrid coaxial cable and fibre optic network that are technologically capable of providing two-way services, including video and Internet) has reached 13,139,100 (up from 13,057,000 in the previous quarter)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Virgin Media Boosts FTTP Rollout and Tops 4.87 Million Broadband Users
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 10:20:18 AM »

How do we find out if we can get VM's fibre product?

Does it come up in the BT phone number search, or is there some kind of search on the VM website?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 01:27:35 PM »

It's certainly not going to be on BT's site is it.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband.html

As to whether it will tell you if you can get true fibre I've no idea, but I doubt they have much installed at the moment and it's only going to be new areas that may possibly have it.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 11:23:36 PM »

As to whether it will tell you if you can get true fibre I've no idea, but I doubt they have much installed at the moment and it's only going to be new areas that may possibly have it.

I dont think they have.  I wonder if BT has more direct fibre.   
Interesting question and one that Ignitionnet may know the answer to.  DOCSIS is I believe one of his topics :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 10:09:44 AM »

and Tops 4.87 Million Broadband Users
@Bowden
I love that bit of the title! Is topping users the best way to retain customers? ;D

Sorry folks for being OT!

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 01:35:38 PM »

What did you want to know?  :)

Regarding FTTP, the only difference in the products is that there's no telephony service available right now. VM are still implementing VoIP. So if in an FTTP area you won't have a telephony service offered.

This will change in the not too distant future and all services will be available. In addition there is likely, next year, to be some additional options for FTTP areas.

VM are currently using RFoG so the FTTP areas are like really high performance cable areas, but can and will run XGPON or NGPON on the same fibre in time.