Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Tester 430B  (Read 2153 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
BT Tester 430B
« on: November 01, 2016, 11:12:20 PM »

Last Sunday I was rummaging through the doings (stored in the what-not) when I came across a small brass cylinder which had an electrical connector at one end and what looked like a small ruby embedded in the other end. There was a transparent label bearing blue lettering affixed to the cylinder. With the aid of a magnifying glass I managed to read --

BT TESTER 430B
I/C 005435
UEO/ 0802

After a spot of on-line searching I found a number of references and one useful page describing an item manufactured by Uplec Industries Ltd, Model No. 5701A. That page reads --

DESCRIPTION

The Tester detects the presence of digital encoded signals between 2 and 155 Mbit/s.

Operating in a 75ohm Digital Line System this signal will be available at a Type 43 connector point. The presence of the signal will cause an LED in the Tester to illuminate.

The Tester is not calibrated to any standard and is used only to indicate the presence of the specified signal.

USE

The Tester is used to establish signal presence on a particular Type 43 connector i.e. for continuity checks or location.

SIGNAL

HDB3 encoded 2048 kbit/s or 8448 kbit/s or 34368 kbit/s to CCITT G703.
CMI encoded 139264 kbit/s to CCITT G703.
STMI 155 Mbit/s.

CONNECTOR

Type 43 female -- push on.

WEIGHT

26g

SIZE

Body 38mm long by 12mm diameter.

Having read that information, I proceeded to research the Type 43 connector and discovered it was originally created by BT.

Continuing my rummage, I came across a BNC male connector back-to-back with what looked like a male Type 43 connector. Carefully aligning both Type 43 connectors, they mated perfectly -- so I was then holding a Tester 430B with a male BNC connector.

Looking around for some means of testing the Tester, I suddenly thought of the IFR 2843. Connecting the Tester 430B to the female BNC connector of the IFR 2843's Tx output and powering on the latter caused the red LED to illuminate. By adjusting the Tx power output it was seen that the LED's intensity then varied in step.

Memories, anyone?  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
Re: BT Tester 430B
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 11:48:11 PM »

Oh yes, lots of memories - another of b*cat's posts making 4C misty-eyed.

A very useful item to keep in a pocket when jumpering on a digital distribution frame (DDF).

<thinks> I wonder how many digital jumpers I ran in my time. A few hundred maybe, but vastly outnumbered by the analogue ones!
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 08:41:08 AM »

Oh yes, lots of memories - another of b*cat's posts making 4C misty-eyed.

Indeed.  Certainly terminated a lot of type 43 connectors in my past. I seem to remember the 'petals' on the sockets were prone to damge if not careful with the plugs.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:45:34 AM by licquorice »

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 01:13:08 PM »

Haha, very true. I remember a few 'accidents' with the petals.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 05:59:32 PM »

I would appreciate a history lesson as to how one would run jumpers on a DDF, please.

Would I be correct in assuming that such jumpers were leads with Type 43 connectors at each end?  :-\

I can't image the usage of a "cut to the appropriate length" twisted pair, either soldered or wire wrapped or inserted into IDCs, as on analogue frames.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 06:38:38 PM »

They were,  but were not run in the same fashion as traditional jumpers. The DDF would consisted of plastic frames with 2 parallel rows of holes that held the cables in place. The top (bottom?) row of holes would contain the permanent wiring to the equipment and the bottom (top?) would hold the jumper. A link (see attachment) would the connect the jumper to the permanent wiring. All cabling and jumpers 75ohm co-ax.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:11:20 PM by licquorice »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 10:32:02 PM »

Ok, I've been trying without success to find a picture of a DDF using type 43 connectors on the web as I am hopeless at drawing or describing things! I have, however, managed to find a picture of one block (of which the DDF would be made up of). Seems my memory was a little hazy, the blocks being postioned vertically rather than horizontally thus permanent wiring to the left (or right) and jumper to the right (or left) in pairs of Tx and Rx.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 11:36:16 PM »

Thank you. Your description, and the images, has clarified my muddled thoughts as to the required procedure.  :)

(Hmm . . . Now I have a vague memory of seeing one of those "U" links, somewhere. But not in my grotto . . . :hmm:  )

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 10:45:59 PM »

Whilst looking on eBay, a little while ago, I noticed that a BT Tester 430B has just been listed.