Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "One Leg Dis" Fault?  (Read 8924 times)

andyfitter

• Reg Member
"One Leg Dis" Fault?
« on: October 31, 2016, 12:17:40 PM »

Received an email from MDWS saying my line had resynced - First time in about 130 days. Sync dropped from around 72/20 to 30/3. Phone line dead too.

Raced to the end of the road to find an Openreach bloke closing up the cab. Asked him if he could have disturbed anything and he seemed sceptical but said he'd take a look.  Gave him my phone number, and he said it was marked as a spare number and not in use? I've had this number for 3.5 years now. Was originally allocated by BT but is now with Sky. Because of that he said there was no way for him to trace it in the cab? With that, he got back in his van and drove off.

Just spoke to Sky and they confirm it is an external fault. I guess the BT database isn't up to date. However, if he did disturb something in the cab, how is the next engineer going to be able to fix it if my number and line is flagged as spare?

If anybody would like t see how badly my stats have plummeted, my MDWS username is andyf

Andy.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
Re: "One Leg Dis" Fault?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 01:26:10 PM »

Certainly has all the hallmarks of 'dis one leg', with crippled broadband and no phone.

Also seems beyond coincidence that there was work going on in the cab.

I'd just report it as normal - if necessary the attending OR engineer will tone out the pair from the exchange and/or your premises.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 05:21:14 PM »

Hmm he must have disconnected one of the D'side pair otherwise the VDSL service wouldn't have been impacted (E side voice service  not required for FTTC to work)

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 05:39:35 PM »

He tried to tell me that "Sky must have disconnected me" as that's the only reason the phone number would be flagged as 'spare'. Not quite sure how that corresponds with my FTTC still working, albeit much degraded.

Think he just didn't want to linger and fix a problem of his own making when somebody else could do it for him.

Sky reckon it could take up to 5 working days to fix?!?

anfield_92

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 09:10:35 PM »

Raced to the end of the road to find an Openreach bloke closing up the cab. Asked him if he could have disturbed anything and he seemed sceptical but said he'd take a look.  Gave him my phone number, and he said it was marked as a spare number and not in use? I've had this number for 3.5 years now. Was originally allocated by BT but is now with Sky. Because of that he said there was

In order for us to test lines we need the circuit ID - for BT lines this is the phone number, but for LLU lines it is something different. If we try to test an LLU line using the phone number it is the same as trying to test a number that doesn't exist, and the system will return a spare line error. When a fault is raised the circuit ID will be included in the job notes so whoever is allocated the job will be able to test the line.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 09:04:31 AM »

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. Mentioned to the engineer at the cab that I was on a Sky connection but he didn't seem to realise it would make a difference.

Maybe he was new, or in a hurry for his lunch :-(

milgo

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 11:28:52 AM »

@andyfitter – If it helps you any I recently had what sounds like an identical fault to yours, phone completely dead and Sky fibre max speed download speed dropped from 72Mbps to 25Mbps

I originally logged the fault with Sky on the 26th October and after running a test on the line they advised that they were seeing a disconnect in the network and would pass the fault out to Openreach to get it fixed.  They quoted me 3-5 working days for this to be resolved. On day 3 I called Sky back as the fault had still not been fixed and they told me that the fault had been rejected by the Openreach system so had not been progressed.  Sky re logged the fault for me on 29th October and the phone fault was cleared at about 9:30 on the 31st October.

My fibre download speed remains at 25Mbps currently although I can see (HG612 modem) that the max attainable speed is just shy of 78Mbps.  Sky have told me that my speed will recover although I’m not sure how long this will take.

So if I were you, if you haven’t already done so I would check that the fault that you have reported is in fact being progressed by Openreach

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 05:30:48 PM »

Thanks. They quoted 3-5 days to me too. One thing in my favour is that he logged the fault with Openreach whilst I was on the phone, and it was accepted by the system, so hopefully all is in place for it to be fixed.

If still broken in a couple of days I'll chase them. Strange you are still stuck on the lower speed though. I would have assumed a DLM reset would occur once the fault was fixed. Maybe its down to the engineer if he thinks it is worthwhile.

milgo

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 10:42:15 PM »

Please update us once your phone is working again as I'll be interested to hear what has happened to your download/upload speeds

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 10:53:48 PM »

Sure, will do.  My last 4 months or so of stats are on MDWS too so the evidence will be there for all to see.

milgo

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 08:35:43 AM »

Update: my connection (Username: milgo on MDWS) resync’d this morning at 4:58 with RDI given as the reason so I presume that it was DLM doing its thing. I’m obviously happy that the speed is heading back up although I am a little surprised that it has happened so quickly.  I am now in sync at 60/20 with SNR of 9.2/11.1 so again I presume that there is a higher downstream sync speed to come as the SNR moves down toward 6.

An interesting observation that I’ve not noticed before is that the sync speed reported by the HG612 is different to that reported by the Sky hub 3...

HG612 – 60000/20000
Hub 3 – 57414/19139

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 10:02:47 AM »

With the SNRM down of 9.2 and current sync at exactly 60000 the lines appears to be banded at this moment. Hopefully it will resolve itself. If you do get an engineer visit I would be asking for a DLM reset.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

milgo

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 10:10:10 AM »

Thanks j0hn,

I don't suppose you would know if there is an easy way for me to confirm or deny what you are thinking regarding the banding?

You also mention that it could sort itself out!  Is there any timeframe that i could work to to keep an eye out for this?

Thanks

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 10:25:35 AM »

If after another resync it's still 60000 or 59999 then it is banded (fixed, won't go above). Recent reports of banding have unfortunately usually stuck permanently, requiring a DLM reset. My advise would be to power down the modem for 30 minutes and reconnect, checking the sync again. If it's still exactly 60mb then don't close the fault and request an OpenReach engineer for a broadband fault.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 10:31:13 AM »

Engineer came and everything pointed to the one leg fault as predicted. Spent nearly an hour at the cab and came back looking puzzled.

He now thinks my fibre port has gone faulty and that can take down the phone line too.

So I now need another from a 'broadband engineer' to dig around in the other cab and move me to a new port.

I do at least have a working landline now. Maybe I'll dig out my old US Robotics modem :-)
Pages: [1] 2