Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Erratic line behaviour after remote resync  (Read 36700 times)

DMZ

Re: Erratic line behaviour after remote resync
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2016, 01:07:33 AM »

I'm back onto fastpath after 12 days. I am seeing snr spikes/jumping of 0.5dB on the downstream, upstream seems ok.

I'm happy that DLM was kind enough to give me my line's potential back. Downstream jumped from 64Mbps to 68 Mbps.

Perhaps there's room for more improvements in future for my line.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2017, 10:11:44 PM »

My line resync'd by itself at exactly 8am this morning.  When I saw the notification email and because I dont look everyday at the stats but know Ive been sailing close the the wind for MTBE since this started, my first thought was DLM and interleaving.   

However, it wasnt DLM nor has there been any major f/w updates still on xx206.  The line is still showing the cyclic oscillations, but now they are negligable on the downstream 0.1-0.2 dB and about 1dB on the upstream which is a heck of a lot better than the previous 3dB down and > 6dB on the upstream.   Rather curious why a remote sync should occur at spot on 8am which has cleared a lot of it.  Errors are still higher though than before this started in Oct and I dont appear to have regained the lost sync.

I very nearly submitted a ticket to PN a couple of days ago as the error rate was quite high one day - noticed because I was trying to stream something and it kept buffering.  A speedtest to TBB gave me a ridiculous 1.57 Mbps, but just as I was typing something out my speed came back up.    It was late at night and outside any times I'd expect to see congestion, so Im assuming it was the E/Secs that was affecting it.  I was half expecting to be DLM'd but I must have just scraped through by the skin of my teeth.

Anyhow whilst not perfect nor as good as it was, it is better than it has been for many weeks.  I doubt it would be someone taking their deco's down either at spot on 8am as I dont see that would cause a resync. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2017, 10:23:34 PM »

SNRM oscillating is still there it just has less amplitude since your last resync so the line card fault is still there it won't go away unless you get moved to a different card or the faulty line card is renewed  :hmm:   

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2017, 10:32:36 PM »

Yep.   I don't know if I have the will to battle PN and Openreach though over it.   I know they will say its performing within acceptable parameters (ie the figures quoted by BTw) and that was even the other night when things were bad to the point of the buffering a prog I was trying to watch :(
Its even less likely they would act on these lower oscillations.   All I can do really is monitor.   It's not anything here, but the fact it stop starts after remote syncs Ive no idea.  The only time Ive seen anything remotely like this is a batch of faulty line cards that were on some adsl MSANs about 7-8 years ago which caused SNRm flapping.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2017, 11:00:19 PM »

I completely understand and don't like calling my ISP to report faults but they are there to help if they can and the phone call is free it's the Openreach side that cheeses me off, they come and do a number of tests and pass the line as ok.

Well I have had 63 modem resyncs in 15 days with Vodafone and made two fault reports in each case they wanted to send a engineer but I declined saying it was not a line fault but it was the modem and the ISP, Imagine if move back to EE and the resyncs are still occurring I am going to look very stupid by not giving them a chance to fix the issue.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 11:06:41 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2017, 11:23:57 PM »

kitz you look well within DLM limits, unless they have reduced them in recent times.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2017, 11:35:25 PM »

The line is still showing the cyclic oscillations, but now they are negligable on the downstream 0.1-0.2 dB and about 1dB on the upstream which is a heck of a lot better than the previous 3dB down and > 6dB on the upstream.

I always have a "default" circuit to monitor via MDWS and with N*Star's absence, as a result of the (now cancelled) Vodafone service, my default has been your own circuit. The resynchronisation event and the following reduced amplitude oscillations were noticed earlier today. It is definitely better than the recent past -- on one day I measured a peak-to-peak swing in the US SNRM in excess of 6 dB -- but it is still not correct.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2017, 12:26:20 AM »

kitz you look well within DLM limits, unless they have reduced them in recent times.

Its ok today, but thats after whatever happened this morning.  Im currently showing amber, amber, green for MBTE.  (stable, standard, speed) .

Since it started there have been quite a few days when Ive looked at the traffic lights and theyve been red, red, amber or red, amber, amber.
I've mentioned it several times that it was one of the reasons why I wouldn't want to migrate to an isp using standard profile or I'd find it difficult to get de-interleaved.  I was last interleaved in Dec due to the higher error rate, but luckily it did relent after a few weeks.   

Must admit that I don't look every day, but before this started it used to mostly be green, green green.   Hence me saying quote "Errors are still higher though than before this started in Oct"
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2017, 10:48:50 AM »

Its ok today, but thats after whatever happened this morning.  Im currently showing amber, amber, green for MBTE.  (stable, standard, speed) .

Since it started there have been quite a few days when Ive looked at the traffic lights and theyve been red, red, amber or red, amber, amber.
I've mentioned it several times that it was one of the reasons why I wouldn't want to migrate to an isp using standard profile or I'd find it difficult to get de-interleaved.  I was last interleaved in Dec due to the higher error rate, but luckily it did relent after a few weeks.   

Must admit that I don't look every day, but before this started it used to mostly be green, green green.   Hence me saying quote "Errors are still higher though than before this started in Oct"
My line is amber all the time not been interleaved for ages

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2017, 12:48:16 PM »

my noisy eci line is always amber, amber, red by the end of each 24 hour period these days.

ES have risen lately but still holding on to fastpath. Probably not helped by my attainable being 3-5mb under sync which is always the way it seems..

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2017, 03:58:45 PM »

I think everyone who has gone interleaved via errors and not resyncs has achieved a daily total of more than 2880/1440/720 depending on whether they were on speed/standard or stable.  If your on fast/speed profile amber for fast is one tenth of the error rate needed to go interleaved.  I think it is best to just worry about the red values.  If your on fast/speed then red for stable is probably OK but red for standard mean a margin of less than 50%.   If on speed/fast it might be useful if MDWS could email when the ES/day first goes over 1440.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2017, 04:28:46 PM »

yep amber covers 90% so its a large range.

I do remember that stormy day when I hit over 2700 ES :) cleared DLM by skin of my teeth, was amber,red,red
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:32:46 PM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2017, 11:04:53 PM »

Here we go again Kitz your line has seen 11 thousand errored seconds and back to interleaved have lost count is this the third or forth time this has happened, still the SNRM is oscillating but it's better than 5-8 resyncs a day  :mad:

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2017, 10:21:18 AM »

Hi Kitz

I don't suppose you know anyone else on your cab to see if they are seeing the same issue?  Could be a problem at the cab if other people see the same, or if just you, points towards perhaps a faulty port you are connected to.

Regards

Phil

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2017, 10:02:58 PM »

Hi Kitz

Think I've joined your club, with erratic SNR.  I've gone from being a flat line to all over the place.

This morning there were several brown outs and I heard my UPS clicking on and off battery, this gave rise to a couple of peaks of increase in SNR.  This wasn't due to running on battery and UPS and being off the mains as I can turn the mains off and run on UPS and the SNR is unchanged, so either the brown outs knocked another modem off (so I had less cross-talk) or the cabinet was running on battery and that was making a difference.

Anyway this stopped after about half an hour or so and all was normal until I checked the graph later, so the brown outs may be irrelevant and just a co-incidence.

My SNR is now showing swinging fluctuations, see the attached graph that shows the start, with an increase in margin before the fluctuations kick in. Luckily the troughs are a bit higher than my normal flat line.  My modem hasn't resync'd at all.

The second graph shows the slight peaks during the several brown outs we had this morning, but as can be seen by the chart, the wavy fluctuation in SNR didn't start until several hours later.

Regards

Phil
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:13:29 PM by PhilipD »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

anything