Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Erratic line behaviour after remote resync  (Read 36684 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Erratic line behaviour after remote resync
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2017, 10:55:06 PM »

kitz you planning to try that new ex zen router a test? i am curious if its worse than the 63168

I already did as soon as I got it last Dec.
I didn't leave it on long as it was worse than my VMG8324.   I think the results are earlier in this thread, the error rate was higher and I lost sync a couple of times.  You will have been able to see the results on MDWS. It was during one of the really bad periods though.

I have always maintained that the VMG8324 works so much better on this line than anything else - it really does and that's including the HG612.

There's only the TPlink TD-W9970 that has come anywhere near, which oddly contains the same chipset as the VMG1312-B10D, but then again that was tested when all was well on my line and Ive not tried it whilst the line has been misbehaving.  Although you can get a fair amount of info with the TDW9970 the lack of live monitoring with DSLstats/MDWS means I dont bother.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2017, 05:17:28 AM »

ok thanks for the info, hopefully your line doesnt revert to the oscillating.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2017, 04:46:20 PM »

...  and here we go again.   Extremely high amount of CRC's and E/s this morning. 

I'd posted on here earlier and everything was fine, then gone to get showered and ready to go out.   Just before I went out I tried to use the internet but pages were failing to load and extremely sluggish.   A quick look at DSLstats immediately showed me the reason why.
I did a quick retrain to see if it cleared it, but it didnt look like it had and on top of that my power had dropped to a very low figure.  So rather than leave it erroring I switched the router off.

Although Ive not hit 2880 Err/secs for the day, after subtracting my downtime then the MBTE is going to be close.
Power is still very low for this line - usually around 6-6.5 - now 4dBm.   Co-incidentally just noticed power also briefly dropped to ~4dBm on 26th of March which was one of the other high error periods.  Before all this started it was 14dBm.

Finally as I was driving to my appt, drove past my cab and there was the PCP internals bare to the elements of wind and rain surrounded by about 4 or 5 contractors, 2 white contractor vans and a dug up pavement.  Looks like that new PCP casing was going in today.  Didnt come back home that way this eve, but presumably by now they will have finished.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2017, 06:04:56 PM »

Finally as I was driving to my appt, drove past my cab and there was the PCP internals bare to the elements of wind and rain surrounded by about 4 or 5 contractors, 2 white contractor vans and a dug up pavement.  Looks like that new PCP casing was going in today.

That is a little puzzling for I am aware that the PCP, through which your circuit is connected, is not a "legacy" cast-iron "GPO" cabinet but the more modern (1980s ??) pressed-steel construction. Could it be, perhaps, that another "fibre twin" is planned and that more space is required in the PCP for the extra tie-cables?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2017, 07:35:03 PM »

btw I noticed yesterday when I was going to the chemist to pick up a prescription that there was a lot of digging going on next to my cab.   I asked what they were doing and they said they were laying new fibre between my [PCP]cab and the one across the road.
They were also putting new foundations down for the PCP which will have a shiny new case.

Only going off what I was told.  The guy who I asked said it was nice someone was interested rather than moaning about the fact they were blocking the road or pavement and actually knew what a PCP was.  I specifically asked if they were doing anything to my FTTC cab and they said no.  (Yes I was thinking a Huawei twin would be nice).  Where they had dug up was leading away from the PCP towards the exchange rather than towards the FTTC cab but I guess that means nothing.   There was what looked like a new casing there this morning, but because of the parked vans and additional traffic I was more concentrating on the road. 

There is a PCP across the road, in fact there's several all within about 50m from each other as they branch out in various directions so Im not sure exactly which one he meant but I think he meant the nearest..  and if so then there was some delays & oddness with that particular cab.  It part serves a newish estate and despite supposedly being live in 2002, I know someone who lives on that estate who was a bit peeved that he couldnt get VDSL until about 2 yrs after me.  The estate is about 250m from the exchange (built on land practically smack bang opposite it) and they were not EOLs.  Thinking back to a few years ago they ended up partially blocking off the main road for a week or so and excavating one massive hole.

I may go have a wander down there sometime when traffic isnt so busy.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2017, 08:19:02 PM »

Yep definitely shiny new PCP case - all be-it a bit dusty so you can practically see the contractors handprints still on it.  :D
Its wider than the old one.  Work complete and the barriers that have been up there for the past week all now removed and gone.

Dug up part of pavement leading to cab on opposite side of road.  Unlikely they would dig in that particular direction to install a twin unless they were going to put it in the middle of the road?  They appear to have dug from the standard 3 slab JB in front of my PCP to some sort of 2 slab manhole/duct at the kerb.  You will soon have mail. You can see from the photo where they've dug and also can see that its in the general direction towards other PCP across the road which is also in the photo.  Anyway see what you think.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »

Ah, I had replied to my e-mail message before I read your latest additions to this thread. So I'll have to have another think.

I asked what they were doing and they said they were laying new fibre between my [PCP]cab and the one across the road.

:hmm:  Hmm, that doesn't read quite right. PCPs will not be linked together with an optical fibre.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2017, 03:41:39 AM »

kitz you not alone, I had a shed ton of errors yesterday 8am to midday, they happened at normally a quiet time of day so out of the blue.  Interleaved later today I expect.

Given you witnessed them doing works, I wonder if all the other occasions was them fiddling?

Roberto on TBB once witnessed someone fiddling in his cabinet, the guy only had to slightly touch his wire with his finger and it triggered a error fit on the line.

I did setup dslstats to email me when the ES exceeded a configured rate, which would allow me time to shut down the line to prevent DLM, it worked as expected (thanks eric), however I didnt see the emails until about 5 mins ago as I was playing a game at the time and I didnt setup one of my high priority accounts that go to my phone.

Looks like silent noise on my line, snrm, bitswaps and other metrics none of them budged during the error bombardment.  I could exceed the 25% loss in a short time metric as going from 3db fast path to 6db interleaved.

I checked your line and wow, both our lines started their noise burst at 8am, the same hour.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:50:20 AM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2017, 07:52:30 AM »

i think i got banded as still fast path

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2017, 11:29:20 AM »

I think/hope I may have managed to catch it in time.   I roughly I worked out that if by the end of the day I managed to stay under ~1500,  after allowing for my downtime my MTBE may just scrape through.   :fingers:
I was lucky to notice it as I was just checking something before I went out and noticed the wading through treacle symptoms and pages failing to load.   If it happened a bit later I would have been out and not noticed until DLM caught up with me.   According to MDWS my total was 1376 but there may also have been a few that didnt get uploaded so it's touch and go.

Since all those errors yesterday, my oscillations are back.   Ive just noticed that my extreme noise bursts have been every 8th day for the past 3 weeks.

>> i think i got banded as still fast path

You shouldnt go straight to banding without fastpath from 7k E/S.  Ive had occasions where I was at >20k E/S and got INP=3

Ive seen DLM changes occur up to 2pm so there is still time yet.   It may also have been something local so may come under a Wide Area Event.     

I dont think youre banded as your syncs have been 67919, 67500, 67660.   The default Target SNRm is 6.3dB now for a lot of people (including me). 

-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2017, 11:32:20 AM »

im guessing its 74mbit banding kitz which is too high to affect my line

the first resync today wasnt me was initiated by the dslam

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #146 on: April 13, 2017, 12:00:17 PM »

Why would it band you higher than you can sync... and not apply INP?  That doesnt make sense.

I didnt get away with it yesterday.   Ive just had a resync at 11:50 and INP 3 applied.  :(
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2017, 12:09:27 PM »

PS what happened on March 21st?    Youve been syncing since then with a 3db SNRm?    Didn't think they were doing that on ECI cabs yet?   Was that a crosstalk situation.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2017, 01:17:48 PM »

had a powercut and synced up before crosstalkers, i have before been banded higher than my sync.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2017, 05:41:17 PM »

I didnt get away with it yesterday.   Ive just had a resync at 11:50 and INP 3 applied.  :(

If having the PCP innards open to the weather affected many lines, you'd expect that a "wide-area event" would be triggered, and the ESs ignored.

That this didn't happen seems to suggest that the impact was not widely spread, so might have been restricted to you. Could it point to suspect joints in the PCP?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13