Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cowling Suffers 2-3 Week Broadband Outage After Car Hits Local Cabinet  (Read 4882 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Cowling Suffers 2-3 Week Broadband Outage After Car Hits Local Cabinet

Residents of a rural village in North Yorkshire (England), Cowling, have complained about the “fiasco” of Openreach’s (BT) response after some were left without broadband connectivity for around 2-3 weeks, which started when a car crashed into one of the operator’s local FTTC cabinets.

At this point we should say that the picture accompanying this article is actually from the aftermath of a similar accident that occurred in Bourne End (Buckinghamshire) last year. We don’t have a picture of the latest incident, but street cabinets often need to be completely replaced after such events.

Otherwise the latest incident in Cowling began on 29th September 2016 after a vehicle travelling near to Lane Ends on the A6068 ended up smashing into one of Openreach’s local FTTC (VDSL2) based “fibre broadband” street cabinets. Sadly the problem wasn’t completely resolved for another 2-3 weeks and some residents weren’t at all happy.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Cowling Suffers 2-3 Week Broadband Outage After Car Hits Local Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 04:12:51 PM »

I haven't read the report other than the blurb Bowdon kindly put out, but yet again I see another OR-bashing exercise from likely individuals who have no idea of what is involved in resolving the issue.

I would say 2 weeks is about right for a fix of this nature.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Cowling Suffers 2-3 Week Broadband Outage After Car Hits Local Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 08:52:42 PM »

When a local cabinet to us was completely wiped out BT had a mobile temporary DSLAM in place very quickly, new cabinet took many months to install though. I did post some pictures on here.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

anything