Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Connection Advice  (Read 5556 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Connection Advice
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 08:38:54 PM »

DLM reset cannot be done by ISP for vdsl. Needs an engineer or as I have experienced the engineer had to get the noc to do it remotely whilst at my house.
By plugging in the vf router etc wont change anything. If you opt to put yours back leave 31 mins between swap. But as you are banded it probably wont make any difference. Keep swaps to a minimum.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 09:55:39 PM »

Hehe.  I think I didn't successfully convey my scepticism when relaying what the VF guy said.  Still, I'll have to let them follow their script, at least until the call eventually finds someone competent.

As for the router, I don't want to reconnect the VF box, but Vodafone won't lift a finger if it's not their kit at the end of the line.  I intend to hook up the VF box just before calling them, then wait 30+ minutes after the call's finished before reconnecting the Huawei.  Since it appears that the VF box dropping the connection repeatedly got my line in this state in the first place, the less time I've got it connected, the better.

YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 10:49:52 PM »

I've taken a look at your Hlog plot and there is nothing out of the ordinary. There is absolutely nothing in the plot that would account for the problems you are currently experiencing.

You have the US0, DS1, US1, DS2, US2 and DS3 bands present . . . It is just the high frequency end of the US2 band where the circuit "runs out of steam". What can be done about it?  :-\  Nothing. Just accept it as a feature of circumstance or view it as a unique "fingerprint" of the circuit.

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 11:31:17 AM »

Thanks very much, burakkucat!

I thought it worth asking, since it seemed wise to get any 'fiddling' out of the way before calling Vodafone this afternoon to kick off the process of getting my banding removed.

As an OR engineer is required to get the DLM reset, I'm hoping Vodafone are quick to come to that conclusion and don't do too much faffing about!

I'll still get one of those nice ADSLNation cables. It'll be interesting to see what improvement (even marginal) I get versus the Huawei freebie.

Thanks all,
Chris

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 08:07:17 PM »

Was on hold with VF for an hour (despite it being an estimated 7 minutes hold time!).  Still, got a very helpful lady who agreed there was certainly something wrong.  She's raised a ticket with their Level 2 techs who will monitor the line and call me on Saturday.

I had a good chat with her about having used the HG612 modem and she was really quite cool about it.  She's noted that the line was completely stable with the HG612 but was previously very 'droppy' with the VF router.  In her words, if I was fortunate enough to be given the PPPoE login then they really don't care what kit is used as long as a) it works for me, and b) I promise to use the VF router if calling for support.  All sounds fair enough to me -- just wish that was their actual public policy!

So I've plugged the VF box back in whilst they do their monitoring.  Let's hope Saturday's call ends with an OR visit being requested!

Interestingly, the VF support tech could see that my line had been up and down to begin with, then completely stable since I plugged in the HG612, up until 30 minutes before I called them when I turned it off in favour of the VF box.

I was told that I might be offered the lower tier package if the fault is irreparable.  She agreed with me when I said I'd be thoroughly miffed if that were the case, knowing I've had 4+ years of good speeds with Infinity.

So, let's see what Saturday brings!

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »

Well, VF have bucked their trend and been really good!

Got a call today saying there was definitely an issue and they'll send Openreach round to reset the DLM.  He caught on that I was interested in this stuff and we had a good chat.  Again, seemed perfectly cool with me using the HG612 modem instead of theirs.  So, OR engineer coming round on Thursday!  In the day-and-a-bit I had the VF box connected, it dropped its VDSL connection twice.  My line definitely prefers the 612!

In the meantime, I gave the customer side of the NTE5 a little spruce.  I hadn't been using the phone socket - there's just an extension running to another room using the terminals on the back of the faceplate.  I disconnected and cut back the bell wire, leaving only 2 and 5 and put some contact cleaner on all the BT plug/socket parts.

My DSL cable was about 3 times longer than it needed to be, so I lopped the slack off and punched it into the unfiltered terminals on the I-plate.  Interestingly, the freebie cable doesn't appear to be twisted-pair -- just straight-through. 

So, the HG612's back in use and reporting very slightly better attainable than before.  The ADSLNation cable's on its way so it'll be interesting to see what that achieves -- purely an academic interest, I'm not expecting a significant increase!

Thanks for all your advice!

Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 02:21:51 PM »

That sounds good. I hope it goes well.
  Eric

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 09:04:30 PM »

Well, OR engineer was fantastic!

Ran his suite of tests on the line and made the call to do a 'speed reset'.  Monitored it and saw a few errors, but well within limits.  He even did a pair swap on the line between the cab and the pole just to cover all bases and to put a more modern terminal on the top of the pole.

Syncing now at 43Mbit even without G.INP which was disabled after the reset.  Apparently that'll come back on in a few days.  In the meantime, as expected, I've been hit with the Interleaving Hammer until G.INP wakes up -- not a problem.

As I mentioned in another thread, the D3 band has woken up and since the engineer did his stuff, it's showing decent usage in the Bits/Tone graph. 

So, count me happy! 

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 03:20:22 AM »

Glad that's resolved and the banding removed. It's interesting to see the DLM reset has automatically given you interleaving+FEC. Recently I've seen a number of lines with G.INP removed left open, though that may be from change of product/DLM Profile.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 09:49:40 AM »

Thanks, j0hn!

I think my line would fall over and not get back up with everything on fast path!

Although I've not seen an INT figure as deep as I've got now -- 855.  Delay is only 8, which I've seen worse before G.INP arrived.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when G.INP comes back -- hopefully sooner rather than later. 

(as an aside, back when I got Infinity in 2014, I almost immediately modded my HG612 to access stats and -- I think -- disable BTAgent.  Assuming the firmware at the time didn't support G.INP, then the first time I'd have got G.INP would either have been with the VF router, or with the HG612 recently when I updated the firmware manually.  Either way, this could well be the first time I've had G.INP and an uncapped line!)

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2016, 09:59:40 AM »

Well, that was quick!

Line resync'd at 7am with G.INP enabled!  Now syncing at 50Mbit-and-change, a handful of bits/sec above current attainable.  Had some weird plunges in SNRM overnight, so let's hope that's nothing sinister. 

I've gained 16Mbit sync speed and am pretty sure I'm getting the most out of my line.

Interestingly it seems Steam's download speed meter must include data compression benefits in the transfer speed. It's showing a peak of 6Mbytes/sec, which is quicker than I've ever seen.

So I'm happy!  Thanks all for your input.

Pages: 1 [2]

anything